Page 18 of 21 [ 332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2022, 10:22 am

I feel like some use, other than residential, should be made for "low ground," and that people, by and large, should move to the higher terrain in any particular area.

In NYC, there are many places which are relatively "high ground"---200 or 300 feet above sea level. There are parts of Queens which are at sea level or below----and they flood even when there's a moderate rain.

New Orleans is probably most at danger within a US context because much of their land is below sea level.

In order to reduce power cuts, all phone and electrical lines should be moved underground. Where I live in Queens, there were very few power cuts from Superstorm Sandy (2012)----because all phone and electrical lines are underground. In the areas where phone and electrical lines are above ground, they consistently lost power and landline phone service. Superstorm Sandy was actually a very minimal hurricane/extratropical cyclone when it hit NYC. The damage done was like a major hurricane.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2022, 1:27 pm

Pepe wrote:
Well, the people who said, 10 or so years ago, that billions would die in 5 years time, were shown to be wrong.
I suggest you research "Extinction Rebellion". They are master catastrophists.

And Al Gore(y) and the rest of his troop, predicted a number of catastrophes, like "Even the rain that falls won't reach the damns" type events, that didn't eventual.
Polar bears have significantly grown in numbers as another example. It seemed that stopping them from being hunted to extinction had something/k to do with that. lol
And there are a lot more examples that I am sure you will dismiss, also.

Did you know that grain crop harvests, in particular, have grown enormously because of the small rise in temperature?
Plants luv CO2. It is plant food, after all.

Consider:
Covid prefers colder weather. Perhaps "god" is intervening and helping us with that. :wink:
Well, you guys have been watering your grain crops lately, right? They don't do so well where there is a drought, like Madagascar.

Anyone who said climate change would happen fast overstated it. Anyone who says it won't happen is understating it.

And anyone expecting the same thing to happen everywhere at the same time is oversimplifying.

And as far as God goes...I think a person could be excused for suggesting that God seems to have an odd sense of humor.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2022, 6:20 pm

If there is drought, it is caused by manmade climate change.
If there are fires, it is caused by manmade climate change.
If there are periods of heavy rain, it is caused by manmade climate change.
If I stub my big toe, it happened because of manmade climate change. :mrgreen:

To be clear:
I don't see how humanity isn't influencing climate change to some degree. 8)

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2022, 7:20 pm

This thread started in 2020.
Australia is still wet.

Australia has very long summers?

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2022, 9:06 am

Mankind is not causing all of the droughts, wildfires, floods, etc.—just causing them to be more often and more often severe. The message is not in the individual events but in the patterns.

And a lot of scientists do not like the patterns. But there are alternatives. And, on the bright side, it is a slow catastrophe so you and I can probably die naturally before nature kills us with something related to climate.

But, about your toe: Be more careful! And if all of a sudden you start stubbing it ten times a day, and the pattern persists, then you should figure out what changed and take mitigation steps.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2022, 9:29 am

SkinnedWolf wrote:
Australia is still wet.

We have had lots of rain in those 2 and a half years since I started the thread.
So much for Tim Flannery's prediction that: "Even the rains that fall won't reach the damns".
What a goose. lol

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2022, 9:32 am

Double Retired wrote:
Mankind is not causing all of the droughts, wildfires, floods, etc.—just causing them to be more often and more often severe. The message is not in the individual events but in the patterns.

And a lot of scientists do not like the patterns. But there are alternatives. And, on the bright side, it is a slow catastrophe so you and I can probably die naturally before nature kills us with something related to climate.

But, about your toe: Be more careful! And if all of a sudden you start stubbing it ten times a day, and the pattern persists, then you should figure out what changed and take mitigation steps.

Well, according to my sources, the frequency and severity have lessened, overall.
It depends on who you listen to.

You do realise that politics plays a huge part in the Climate Change debate, right?

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2022, 10:34 am

SkinnedWolf wrote:
Australia is still wet.

Australia takes 2.5 years to orbit the Sun.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2022, 11:20 am

Pepe wrote:
Well, according to my sources, the frequency and severity have lessened, overall. It depends on who you listen to.
Um...you might want to check precisely what your sources are talking about. If you narrow the scope of your statement you can accurately state some very strange things. I can find sources that say days are longer than 24 hours.

Pepe wrote:
You do realise that politics plays a huge part in the Climate Change debate, right?
Clearly poitics play a huge part in the debates regarding Climate Change causes and often what to do about it. But politicians do tend to believe what they want to believe and say what people want to hear.

Personally, I think we are probably already past the tipping point on Climate Change. Meaning I expect that extreme Climate Change is no longer avoidable. Those scientists talk about it still being possible to keep the change below 1.5°C but they are only looking at the physical world. Societies, governments, industries, economies, etc., all have their analogues of momentum and inertia, too. I strongly suspect that if those factors (which would include politics) were included in the analysis then impossibly extreme solutions would be the only viable options.

But, again, all of this will take a long time. Perhaps even centuries.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2022, 11:59 am

Let a group of competing groups limit their own interests to protect the world centuries later—several times the lifespan of the individual.
Doubtful operability.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2022, 12:14 pm

SkinnedWolf wrote:
Australia is still wet.

A long cruel summer!

Or thats what the strange voices are saying.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Apr 2022, 2:28 pm

Pepe wrote:
If there is drought, it is caused by manmade climate change.
If there are fires, it is caused by manmade climate change.
If there are periods of heavy rain, it is caused by manmade climate change.
Actually, the weather "getting bigger" is a symptom of global warming predicted by all the numerical models (info from my atmosphere researcher friend).

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2022, 3:42 pm

If the weather has been constant for a long time, but then changes in a few years, then that could be due to ...climate change. Or not.

For most of US history "tornado alley" was only the Prairie midwest (basically the Wheat belt). But in the last 30 years tornado alley has expanded eastward - to east of the Mississippi into the corn belt Midwest, and into the cotten belt south.

Even the Washington DC area gets small tornadoes now.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2022, 9:19 pm

Quote:
Heavy rainfall hits Victoria
Apr 19, 2022

Widespread rain has been forecast to hit Victoria today.

Parts of New South Wales are also expected to receive some rainfall on Tuesday.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2022, 3:12 am

Quote:
Simultaneous weather events from the Indian and Pacific Oceans could bring extensive flooding throughout 2022

A rare combination of weather drivers not seen for nearly 50 years could bring extensive rainfall and widespread flooding to Australia throughout 2022.
Tom Saunders

April 23, 2022

For the first time in 48 years a rare combination of weather drivers could bring extensive flooding to Australia throughout the remainder of 2022.

There are signs the current La Niña phase of the Pacific will team up with another wet climate driver from the Indian Ocean, a negative Indian Ocean Dipole (-IOD), to further enhance rainfall across the country.

The last time a wet phase of the Indian occurred simultaneously with a repeated La Niña was 1974, and that was Australia’s wettest year in 122 years of data.

In Australia's history there have only been three years when back to back La Niña’s have coincided with a negative Indian Ocean Dipole through winter and spring. All three of those years were within Australia's top ten wettest on record since 1900.

https://www.skynews.com.au/australia-ne ... erallPos=4

As I have said in a previous post, I haven't seen this sort of weather in 50 years. 8)

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2022, 4:44 am

Pepe wrote:
As I have said in a previous post, I haven't seen this sort of weather in 50 years. 8)

It's okay, you still have 20 years to see it slowly.