Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

HawkingShrugged
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Sep 2020, 12:21 pm

Has anyone like me been migrated to lonelier spaces in little office jobs? Milton was so stereotypically autistic however he could be portraying it realistically. Bullying and discrimination are not okay.

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2020, 12:34 pm

I liked Milton and greatly understood his attachment to his stapler.

HawkingShrugged
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Sep 2020, 12:49 pm

Yes I've played with staplers but I'm at my non-office job feeding my phone addiction. So, I'm stimming?

KazBrekker
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Sep 2020, 5:20 pm

I sometimes wonder if removal to a more solitary environment wouldn't have greatly benefitted me in the past. There are always bored people in any group environment (work, school, etc.) who are looking for someone to pick on or scapegoat, and a solitary working environment might be a fix.

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2020, 5:25 pm

^ It is stressful being out in the open while working for 8 hours per day. My mind gets bogged down with thoughts about how I must appear busy and normal at all times, which keeps me from getting work done.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2020, 1:46 pm

I loved this movie when it came out, shame the old computer monitors make it look dated now.

Yes milton was probably autistic and the bosses were probably trying to force him out, but he got the last laugh in the end. :D

Its really centres on the dull boring life of office work & some guys who try to escape it all, many can probably relate to this, i certainly did at the time.

It also highlights how bosses easily get round employment laws, and shows things most people in work long suspect of how management operate.

- George Bernie Shaw

HawkingShrugged
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Sep 2020, 2:57 pm

Office Space in some ways, may have been like Blazing Saddles, not releasable 20 years later.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2020, 3:04 pm

I enjoy the movie and still find it funny, even if he's also a sympathetic character. Among things seeing him being mistreated helps underscore how horrible that workplace is. It also is relatable because many work places have that one person who just can't mesh. Perhaps after cheering for Milton burning the place down one might wish to reconsider how they treat that person, not out of fear but out of 'hey, if I can sympathize with someone like them, why not them'.

Perhaps in a more just and decent world the character Milton would be given access to psychological help after being terminated and failing to accept it, but that wouldn't make for a funny movie because no one would relate because it's not how we'd expect that to be handled. Instead in our crapsack, grimdark reality you can write something that has real-life analogs and it's funny because on some level we know it's not that exaggerated, we're just not supposed to acknowledge it.

Anyways, now you know where the parents of some of kids that Beavis and Butthead go to school with work. Are you surprised that town produced those two? :lol:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

HawkingShrugged
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Sep 2020, 3:44 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
I enjoy the movie and still find it funny, even if he's also a sympathetic character. Among things seeing him being mistreated helps underscore how horrible that workplace is. It also is relatable because many work places have that one person who just can't mesh. Perhaps after cheering for Milton burning the place down one might wish to reconsider how they treat that person, not out of fear but out of 'hey, if I can sympathize with someone like them, why not them'.

Perhaps in a more just and decent world the character Milton would be given access to psychological help after being terminated and failing to accept it, but that wouldn't make for a funny movie because no one would relate because it's not how we'd expect that to be handled. Instead in our crapsack, grimdark reality you can write something that has real-life analogs and it's funny because on some level we know it's not that exaggerated, we're just not supposed to acknowledge it.

Anyways, now you know where the parents of some of kids that Beavis and Butthead go to school with work. Are you surprised that town produced those two? :lol:

Lol, sure. Neither of these below were me being passive aggressive:
I was an oddball in an office full of girls for an oil energy company who inadvertently disposed of 7 years legally required physical records. ...yelled at for that until they were in tears.
My employer before that found I had deleted so much that was on their mid frame inventory computer it was going to cost an estimated 100k. ...yelled at for that until they were in tears.

Again, these were not my passive aggressive acts. They were "honest mistakes".

I'm copying this and I may make new post out of it.

Has anyone else experienced this in their employment?