Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2020, 1:57 pm

John Lydon's Trump Support Leaves Sex Pistols Fans Feeling Rotten

Quote:
Johnny Rotten aka John Lydon has been open about his support for Trump and Brexit for some time now—but fans of the Sex Pistols and the former punk legend are still disappointed.

Lydon, 64, has long been associated with anarchist views and he's managed to get people talking again.

A tweet showing the "God Save the Queen" singer wearing a pro-Donald Trump 'Make America Great Again' T-shirt has gone viral on Twitter this week, with one former fan decrying his idol's political views.

Another person quoted the tweet with a quote from Green Day frontman Billie Joe Armstrong who has criticized Lydon in the past.

They wrote: "Billie Joe Armstrong had the best comment about the ethos of John Lydon and the Sex Pistols: 'I am the anti-Christ/Please buy our merchandise.'"

Many online are questioning whether Lydon is wearing the MAGA shirt to be provocative and not because he actually supports Trump.

However, in a 2017 NPR interview, Lydon called Trump "absolutely magnificent."

In the same year, during a Good Morning Britain appearance, Lydon said Trump was a "complicated fellow" who had been "smeared" by the "left-wing media."

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2020, 2:08 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
John Lydon's Trump Support Leaves Sex Pistols Fans Feeling Rotten
Quote:
Johnny Rotten aka John Lydon has been open about his support for Trump and Brexit for some time now—but fans of the Sex Pistols and the former punk legend are still disappointed.

Lydon, 64, has long been associated with anarchist views and he's managed to get people talking again.

A tweet showing the "God Save the Queen" singer wearing a pro-Donald Trump 'Make America Great Again' T-shirt has gone viral on Twitter this week, with one former fan decrying his idol's political views.

Another person quoted the tweet with a quote from Green Day frontman Billie Joe Armstrong who has criticized Lydon in the past.

They wrote: "Billie Joe Armstrong had the best comment about the ethos of John Lydon and the Sex Pistols: 'I am the anti-Christ/Please buy our merchandise.'"

Many online are questioning whether Lydon is wearing the MAGA shirt to be provocative and not because he actually supports Trump.

However, in a 2017 NPR interview, Lydon called Trump "absolutely magnificent."

In the same year, during a Good Morning Britain appearance, Lydon said Trump was a "complicated fellow" who had been "smeared" by the "left-wing media."
Pissing off liberals is the greatest of pleasures,this doesn't surprise me,if you want trash the establishment,liberals are now the establishment.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2020, 5:50 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
Pissing off liberals is the greatest of pleasures,this doesn't surprise me,if you want trash the establishment,liberals are now the establishment.

Depends how you look at it. Public servants are normally pretty centrist but that's because they have to be, as they shouldn't show any political bias. If you're trying not to be overtly left-wing or right-wing the natural consequence is you end up somewhere in the middle.

However politically and culturally the US and the UK are both very right-wing. The main political parties are all right of centre, just to varying degrees. The media is also right wing, the way society is structured and the way it works are right wing, the values that are expoused are right wing. It's only possible to really see this by stepping back far enough that you can see what isn't being said and what isn't even being covered in the first place. There's a lot of deliberate narrowing of options going on, a great deal of "controlling the narrative".

And then there's Lydon, whose whole career has been based on saying the exact opposite of whatever anyone wants to hear or expects him to say. He's an anarchist in that he likes stirring up trouble to get a reaction, possibly just for fun, or maybe fame and fortune, or possibly with the higher aim of provoking thought. It's hard to say what he's really up to and what he genuinely believes and of course you'll never, ever, get a straight answer.

Unfortunately his unpredictability is, in itself, a predictable hallmark now. He's done it so many times he doesn't really have any credibility left and the attention-seeking non-comformity does look a bit desperate.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2020, 7:04 pm

Not that surprising, this is just him finally one-uping Sid's swastika.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2020, 2:11 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Not that surprising, this is just him finally one-uping Sid's swastika.

Heavens to Betsy....you aren't equating MAGA with a swastika :lol:

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2020, 6:47 am

I've always had a lot of time for John Lydon, not so much for The Sex Pistols but I enjoy his interviews, early PiL and have read his books.

Surprised that he's still openly supporting Trump but no more disappointed than I would have been if he was backing Biden. I might have expected a "Vote no-one" declaration from him but you have to expect the unexpected with characters like Lydon and I wish him well in what is a particularly difficult time for him personally.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2020, 6:56 am

People like Trump because he, superficially, seems to be able to assert himself. He has an “Everyman” quality about him.

We don’t need an “Everyman” leading our nation. We need someone extraordinary.