Females with Stereotypical "Male" Autism Presentation

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2020, 7:27 pm

One of the reasons I don't like the recent "female autism phenotype" concept is because there are obviously females who don't fit that profile.

For those of you who don't know, "female autism phenotype" or "female autism presentation" refers to

internalizing stress
repetitive/restricted interests that revolve around animals (that includes humans)
passable social and language skills
faking non-autistic behavior, particularly by mimicking people

In contrast, male autistics are supposedly more often properly diagnosed because they tend to

act out (with aggression or meltdowns)
have repetitive/restricted interests that revolve around objects and clearly unusual things like bus schedules
not be subject to the social expectations that females are subject to, thus they tend to not develop as many social behaviors that would help them pass as non-autistic

So for those of you who lean towards the "male autism presentation," what do you think of this "female autism phenotype" in relation to yourself?

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2020, 8:08 pm

I found this article on the subject so I could learn more: https://medium.com/@KristenHovet/what-is-the-female-autism-phenotype-41a129b5fe73

The female phenotype doesn't really seem to apply to me. Maybe that's why I got diagnosed earlier? This part in particular:

Quote:
Autistic girls and women are typically more socially-inclined and socially-capable than autistic boys and men. While they typically have fewer (yet often more intense) friendships than non-autistic females and spend more time alone to rest and recharge, they are less likely to be seen as different or abnormal by those around them.

My social abilities have always been poor. I could never get the interactions right. I really struggled to make friends and only had 1 at a time (many periods I had none). Most of the friendships we're due to my mom constantly pushing it. Even now after a lot of work and learning it's still obvious that when I speak in groups that I'm different (because I get odd reactions that others don't get).

I did eventually learn to mimic. It was necessary for survival in my household. My mom is highly social and would get very angry whenever I said stuff that wasn't socially acceptable. It would take me but surprise and became very fearful of saying the wrong thing. Because of this I coped by saying as little as possible. Eventually I discovered that when speaking was necessary for work, I could match the vocal patterns and words my co-workers would use with customers. I'm not good enough at it to pass as completely normal, and I still got in trouble plenty, but it helped.

I don't know if my special interests fit with either the male or female side. I think both classifications seem really narrow.

Maybe I'm a mixture of both? Perhaps instead of having male and female types they should just put all of that into one?

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2020, 11:04 pm

I relate very little to descriptions of "female autism," seeing all that makes me feel even more abnormal than usual because I'm supposed to relate but don't.

Not sure if being agender has anything to do with my autism presentation, I've never had much of a sense of femininity or anything.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2020, 3:08 am

:flower: agree somewhat,
i think i don't present anything, stereo or typical

maybe something with the bell curve?
of not much on the female outsides 8)
all in the middle
(infotainment & (§§) searching for that conformable middle maybe?)

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2020, 4:18 am

In my case, I simply fit less with the any socially aspiring types and the hyperverbal types -- regardless of their ability to function, their external expressions or their internal inclinations.

Therefore I fit less with the female representation than the male representation.

I got all the ideal female influences, the ideal circumstances for most of those autistics with social aspirations...
Yet it's a mismatch, because I'm not one.

Had that been the case, I would've been a bit happier, more grateful, and flourishing more than as I'm now.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2020, 4:36 am

See the link below for a recent literature review on the current research on the female autism phenotype. This is written by Laura Hull, an emerging researcher on autism in females who is also doing groundbreaking work on camouflaging/masking in autism.

LINK HERE - The Female Autism Phenotype and Camouflaging: a Narrative Review

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2020, 1:49 pm

aquafelix wrote:
See the link below for a recent literature review on the current research on the female autism phenotype.

Why? What does that have to do with the topic of this thread?

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2020, 12:27 pm

I was diagnosed early because I presented more like an autistic male when I was little (having meltdowns instead of internalizing my feelings, bad social skills, otherwise being easy to tell apart from others). I was able to get away with being this way through my elementary school years.

Once I started middle school, however, I had to mimic others' behaviors to survive. I wasn't perfect, but it helped me avoid bullying and/or harassment most of the way. I also became interested in human behavior and psychology around that time, so I would people-watch at school whenever I was alone during lunch. Whenever I interacted with non-autistic people, I paid extra attention to their behavior in an effort to hone my mimicking skills.

My interests are neither fully male- nor female-presenting (photography, chemistry, psychology, autism/autism rights, video games, etc.), but other than that, I very much follow the female autism phenotype.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2020, 2:05 pm

I was diagnosed very young because I was stimming...a lot. I was diagnosed at five. When I started elementary school and started “growing out” of stimming, the autism traits weren’t even noticeable because I liked everything a “typical” young girl likes (dolls, cute things, boy bands etc...)

Now at 27 it’s still really hard to impossible to tell me have autism because my social skills, eye contact and even my interest in cute and pretty things are now the norm for a female my age and even older.

I don’t really have the male or female phenotype because my interest aren’t restrictive and I don’t and never have mimicked.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2020, 1:58 pm

Everyone just thought I was mentally ret*d :wall:

I seem to be a blend of the male phenotype and the female phenotype though...

kdm1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Oct 2020, 1:47 pm

I'm somewhere in between. I'm high functioning enough and can mimic basic social skills enough so that, when I'm at baseline, I can pass fairly easily in most social situations, like running daily errands at the grocery store and such. But I'm also super logical, blunt, tactless, very aggressive when angry, and my interests are repetitive and systematic enough that they take most by surprise. When people get to know me well enough, they generally aren't all that surprised I'm autistic. It's very clear I lack the empathy and emotional intelligence of most women.

Checkbox
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Oct 2020, 3:11 pm

There are men with autism who fit the stereotype of "female autism" and women with autism who fit the stereotype of "male autism". I just think that both are more archetypes than strictly gender-related functionings (although I have read that women have better predispositions for certain social abilities).

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2020, 10:23 pm

starkid wrote:
One of the reasons I don't like the recent "female autism phenotype" concept is because there are obviously females who don't fit that profile.

As I understand it, the point of the "female autism phenotype" is so that more girls and women (with innate social difficulties) can get an autism diagnosis. I'm pretty sure it's not intended to exclude women and girls who fit the typical male profile, who hence would have been eligible for an autism diagnosis before the idea of a "female autism phenotype" came along.

starkid wrote:
For those of you who don't know, "female autism phenotype" or "female autism presentation" refers to

internalizing stress
repetitive/restricted interests that revolve around animals (that includes humans)

In contrast, male autistics are supposedly more often properly diagnosed because they tend to

act out (with aggression or meltdowns)
have repetitive/restricted interests that revolve around objects and clearly unusual things like bus schedules
not be subject to the social expectations that females are subject to, thus they tend to not develop as many social behaviors that would help them pass as non-autistic

So for those of you who lean towards the "male autism presentation," what do you think of this "female autism phenotype" in relation to yourself?

I lean closer to the "male" profile, though not completely. I've never engaged in the heavy-duty sorts of "masking" that are said to be typical of autistic women. Also, when I was little, my special interests were nearly all of the "male" type, e.g. physical sciences.

However, when I was in my twenties, I had a very active social life. I accomplished this not by masking and trying to fit in with the social mainstream, but by seeking out fellow oddballs of one kind or another.

Another thing that helped me, at that time, was the then-popular fad for "assertiveness training." There were quite a few popular books and magazine articles back then on how to be assertive without being aggressive, and on how to give and receive constructive criticism. I knew already that I was lousy at picking up on subtle hints. So, I concluded that I needed people in my life who would be assertive.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2020, 4:51 am

Quote:
internalizing stress

This definitely describes me, except for the last one. I don't think I fake every non-autistic thing I do, although I do feel I have to put on a mask (metaphorical) when I'm in public places. But I feel more relaxed when I can communicate my thoughts and feelings to people, which is why I feel more relaxed with people I know than strangers in public, because you can't communicate your thoughts and feelings to strangers in public, even non-verbally.

Plus I don't lack emotional intelligence, in fact it is actually one of my skills (well, I'll say empathy, because I'm not so good at dealing with my own emotions).

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2020, 2:05 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
starkid wrote:

As I understand it, the point of the "female autism phenotype" is so that more girls and women (with innate social difficulties) can get an autism diagnosis. I'm pretty sure it's not intended to exclude women and girls who fit the typical male profile, who hence would have been eligible for an autism diagnosis before the idea of a "female autism phenotype" came along.

Well it may not be intended to exclude them, but when something is referred to with the term "female," that implies that it refers to females in general. If it applies only to high-functioning females or whatever, it's not a "female autism phenotype." And I strongly suspect that framing this phenomenon of missed diagnoses as a female issue rather than as a non-classically autistic, normal IQ, etc. issue can mislead people to overlook important information about it.

And it should not be assumed that women and girls who don't fit the female autism phenotype are more likely to be diagnosed and therefore can be safely excluded.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2020, 2:44 am

with the Attwood rewatch, he mentions other options to ignore them completely and latch on to the imitation/ masking aspects,
from my (observations) masking is also an neurotypical trait as well as a sociopathic/ narcissistic trait,
so that may unfortunately change the whole diagnosis intention
< i could be wrong, but i suspect it's not completely wrong

and another, the as-professionals propose as a remedy teaching acting, wow :scratch:

"so you say" i should be acting?
yeah, that's the normal thing to do :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: