OLDER ASPIES (Over 40, More Like Over 50) Do you think?...

Page 4 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 6:14 am

SnackNinja wrote:
jimmy m wrote:
Fine wine theory. I feel like I am just getting better with age. This is probably due to my INTJ personality. Eventually my body will deteriorate and my mind but at present I am pleased to be an Aspie.

I subscribe to the Fine Wine theory - except that instead of getting better with age, I tell people that I am empty from the neck up :P

:mrgreen:

gdmichaels
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Oct 2020, 8:49 am

As I age, I build up more experience with how to communicate with NT’s. This has resulted in two primary changes in how I interact with the world. First, I try not to. The more I avoid traditional social settings, the less anxiety I experience. Second, when I do, I now have a larger lexicon of learned behaviors that allow me to blend better.

I almost am able to almost completely avoid general social interactions now. I have two special interests: board games and model trains. I can pass for normal in gatherings pertaining to these interests because my knowledge of these areas makes my behavior acceptable.

So I have adapted my lifestyle successfully to my circumstances and generally speaking, I feel it is for the better.

AmtrakFred
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Oct 2020, 12:29 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
...your Autism has "improved" with age, gotten worse, or stayed the same? Has a diagnosis had any bearing on improvement OR regression?

I don't think my autism has gotten worse in fact, if anything it's gotten better if for no other reason that I figured out by trial and error what worked for me and what didn't.

But! What has gotten worse is my memory. Memory deteriorates with age whether you are neuro typical or autistic.

When I was a child I had most of the electric utility grid memorized on Tucson's (AZ) east side. I knew exactly how the electricity got to our house and which route it took. I could not do that today. I just wouldn't be able to remember all that stuff.

Regards,
Fred

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2020, 2:11 pm

gdmichaels wrote:
I have two special interests: board games and model trains. I can pass for normal in gatherings pertaining to these interests because my knowledge of these areas makes my behavior acceptable.

Ooh. Model trains. Nice!

Strangelittlegirl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Oct 2020, 2:38 pm

It's hard for me to say. I've only been privvy to the reason for my odd behavior over the last five years or so (and only just diagnosed within the last two years), so I don't know. I'm still sort of familiarizing myself with it all.

I guess we'll have to see in another 10-20 years.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2020, 7:52 pm

AmtrakFred wrote:
ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
...your Autism has "improved" with age, gotten worse, or stayed the same? Has a diagnosis had any bearing on improvement OR regression?

I don't think my autism has gotten worse in fact, if anything it's gotten better if for no other reason that I figured out by trial and error what worked for me and what didn't.

But! What has gotten worse is my memory. Memory deteriorates with age whether you are neuro typical or autistic.

When I was a child I had most of the electric utility grid memorized on Tucson's (AZ) east side. I knew exactly how the electricity got to our house and which route it took. I could not do that today. I just wouldn't be able to remember all that stuff.

Regards,
Fred

Tell me about it. :roll:

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2020, 5:12 am

gdmichaels wrote:
As I age, I build up more experience with how to communicate with NT’s. This has resulted in two primary changes in how I interact with the world. First, I try not to. The more I avoid traditional social settings, the less anxiety I experience. Second, when I do, I now have a larger lexicon of learned behaviors that allow me to blend better.

I almost am able to almost completely avoid general social interactions now. I have two special interests: board games and model trains. I can pass for normal in gatherings pertaining to these interests because my knowledge of these areas makes my behavior acceptable.

So I have adapted my lifestyle successfully to my circumstances and generally speaking, I feel it is for the better.

This. Except my special interests are gardening and wilderness tripping.