Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

FeelLikeAnAlien
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Oct 2020, 10:52 am

One of the things I really struggle with as an autistic is trigger sounds. I have so many of them and can't avoid them. I've had a variety of headphones/earplugs over the years and even if music is playing, I can hear everything regardless, and the headphones/earplugs give me painful headaches even if there is no sound coming from them, and even if they aren't turned on
I can admit that I've never had proper noise cancelling headphones because we can't afford them
Whenever I try to tell my mum that my headphones don't work, she tells me to hand them over, so that I have none at all. That's her way of telling me that what I have is better than nothing
Is there any other way to tolerate sound, given that I have no way of paying for noise cancelling headphones myself (I'm 14)

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2020, 11:11 am

I’m so sorry for your difficulty. Your NT mom just has no idea the torture autists experience with sensory issues.

Depending on your country or state, you might be able to get a program or grant to cover the cost. Your school might pay for it if the sound sensitivity is put into your IIP.

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2020, 11:31 am

Sometimes I wear earplugs & headphones together. Sorry you’re being assaulted by sound. It sucks.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2020, 11:35 am

hobojungle wrote:
Sometimes I wear earplugs & headphones together. Sorry you’re being assaulted by sound. It sucks.

^^^^^ ditto ^^^^^

where ever you go ,there you are

FeelLikeAnAlien

04 Oct 2020, 11:37 am

I've tried that before it doesn't work
My ears can actually listen in on phone calls and radio signals because my ears can listen to airwaves sometimes
My mum can do it too
I don't know if there's any way to fix this

seventhreeone
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Nov 2020, 12:28 pm

ugh, my little siblings always come up and yell for no reason and it really freaks me out, and then i get really mad at them... my mom says just ignore them but it doesn’t work that way. speaking of my mom, i always tell her to warn me when she’s gonna turn on the blender, but she always forgets. :|