The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2020, 8:48 am

Cheekybean
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Aug 2021, 5:48 pm

Im glad you posted this. This has been an ongoing issue in my life. Interestingly, I always wondered what it would be like to just walk outside and have men whistle from cars. I always said I was dogcalled more than catcalled. Women would share their experiences of men saying flirtatious things to them and I realized I dont really have those stories. Also, I sadly feel they would be surprised if I did since Im not traditionally pretty.

Being ignored or called ugly by strangers has its own hurt I think many people arent aware of or just laugh off. It still hurts. A lot.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 6:39 pm

I suspect the reason I don’t draw any sort of indication of interest in person, ever in my life (I’m 28), is because it’s too obvious even at a glance that I have some sort of developmental/mental disability, which puts me off the table for most people. I don’t even know what gives it away, so I can’t even try to change that, because I don’t know what I’m doing “wrong.” I know it’s obvious because right off the bat, people usually treat me “differently” in some fashion.

But it’s for the better for me, since I don’t even know that I’m capable of feeling romantic love. And I really hate upsetting anyone in any way so would have a very hard time saying no to people. I’m aromantic and asexual, but it’s not like I wear a shirt stating so in huge letters or anything. It does make me feel somewhat “lesser,” and is one of the many things that makes me feel “other,” even downright alien.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 6:53 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
I suspect the reason I don’t draw any sort of indication of interest in person, ever in my life (I’m 28), is because it’s too obvious even at a glance that I have some sort of developmental/mental disability, which puts me off the table for most people. I don’t even know what gives it away, so I can’t even try to change that, because I don’t know what I’m doing “wrong.” I know it’s obvious because right off the bat, people usually treat me “differently” in some fashion.

But it’s for the better for me, since I don’t even know that I’m capable of feeling romantic love. And I really hate upsetting anyone in any way so would have a very hard time saying no to people. I’m aromantic and asexual, but it’s not like I wear a shirt stating so in huge letters or anything. It does make me feel somewhat “lesser,” and is one of the many things that makes me feel “other,” even downright alien.

Perhaps it is your body language that is putting them off since you're not interested in a relationship to begin with?

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 7:22 pm

blackicmenace wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:

Perhaps it is your body language that is putting them off since you're not interested in a relationship to begin with?

Even in very brief interaction, or at a glance? I’m sure it does in any more than that, though.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 7:42 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
blackicmenace wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:

Even in very brief interaction, or at a glance? I’m sure it does in any more than that, though.

Perhaps it is part of the equation you are seeking.

StickBugette
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Aug 2021, 5:28 pm

So I stim, which I think is a huge turn-off. But I suppose it saves me from harassment.

Until I met my now boyfriend, who said, "I think it's cute when you chew your tongue"
... and I was like OMG you are perfect!!

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2021, 1:44 am

StickBugette wrote:
So I stim, which I think is a huge turn-off. But I suppose it saves me from harassment.

Until I met my now boyfriend, who said, "I think it's cute when you chew your tongue"

:heart: so cute

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 2:26 pm

Yuck being chastised / bullied. Studies indicate that different cultures have different standards for beauty and attractiveness. Unfortunately many support your experience: feminine is considered more attractive (even for men in some European countries). I am surprised by the (b) Averageness section in the study below. Sadly (and to my surprise), I (a white female) also have that bias based on that fact that looking at the pictures in that section, I find the most average picture to be more "attractive". Perhaps I find it soothing? It is exhilarating and overwhelming for me to look at peoples faces in crowds: all the different shapes and features. I am sensory seeking so love the variety, but it is overwhelming. Perhaps an "average" picture is soothing and hence hits the "attractiveness" neural network. I'd like to think I'd treat all three (fictional) women the same in any case. I didn't read through the whole study, conclusion nor discussion, so maybe there's something in there about it. Here's hoping for a more inclusive, kinder culture in general.

One random study I readily find: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3130383/

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 8:17 pm

StickBugette wrote:

So, he like blood dripping out of your mouth.
Have you considered he is a "perfect" vampire? 8O

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2021, 11:16 am

Pepe wrote:
StickBugette wrote:

So, he like blood dripping out of your mouth.
Have you considered he is a "perfect" vampire? 8O

YIKEs ....... your a silly skunk if ever i read one.

where ever you go ,there you are

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2021, 1:03 pm

In response to the original post I believe that any woman can be harassed by men, just because you're not favoured by men in the country/area you currently live doesn't mean they won't still attack you with vulgar rubbish that they usually do in another.

Go to another country on a holiday or something, if you went to say, Pakistan (from my experience) or similar countries you usually get absolutely hounded by these annoying men. You can look like a shoe and men will still try to hound you, it's all just about where you are and where you're from with what I've found tbh.

With my own experience I literally cannot leave the house without some kind of disgusting remark from a man or odd uncomfortable staring so I've never experienced the latter but I have seen it with others and they still get harassed so no woman can totally escape it.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2021, 1:33 pm

I'm a woman and I don't get harassed on a daily basis and it's only happened to me when I wore a crop top and short shorts while I was out running and when I was pregnant and I wear wear long shorts and a long t shirt. I consider myself lucky and too bad if this makes women bitter they tell me "f**k you." This does not even say "rapists' are born from what women wear." This is me talking about my experience when I have faced harassment from random men. I am even surprised that none of the women accused me of saying rapists are born from women getting pregnant. :roll:

I suppose if I wanted to be a victim I could throw in my childhood when a 21 year old guy told me at the age of 13 at a Wal Mart I have a small ass or a boy in my class who like to poke at my underwear and tugging at the top of my pants at age 14. Was I traumatized by these events, was I scared and did I feel unsafe? No. Also when I was 7, there were these boys grabbing my butt on the school playground. But these are the kinds of things I read in a "me too" movement where women will talk about how they were sexually assaulted by another kid at the age of 6. And I had on long pants and long shirts when these events took place.

And oh lord, I sexually abused my brother when I was six. :roll:

Should kids be taught appropriate behavior and touch, yes. Should adults stop using the "boys will be boys" whenever they touch girls inappropriately? Yes.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2021, 6:07 pm

the phrase " boys will be boys" as an excuse for bad behaviour , is infuriating . :evil:

where ever you go ,there you are

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2021, 6:13 pm

I've been made fun of and ignored by women, more than men.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2021, 6:36 pm

Jakki wrote:
the phrase " boys will be boys" as an excuse for bad behaviour , is infuriating . :evil:

As a young boy I always took that phrase to mean 'just go punch him in the mouth' when the person probably meant 'oh, just accept that you're a weirdo who will be bullied'.

Hey, I thought I was just a boy being a boy, just like you all expected. :twisted:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う