Animals deserve rights! 55%  55%  [ 22 ]
Animals deserve some rights 35%  35%  [ 14 ]
Animals deserve no rights 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 40

dumbgenius
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2007, 5:19 pm

PETA: People for the Eating of Tasty Animals.

UnrelentingHorror
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jul 2007, 9:29 pm

ghostgurl wrote:
Well I don't think it's exactly possible for an animal to have rights, but they should be treated with respect and not harmed, unless it's necessary for food or if it's in pain and has to be put out of its misery.

Pretty much the same here. I personally believe its okay to eat animals, I also believe in medical testing....I'm not talking about the "lest cut them up for no reason" medical testing but the kind that actually helps lead to advances in science that is pulled off responsibly.
I will conede that alot of things kind of suck but thats where we are right now and it all kind of ties in with my view of humanity and naturalism.

zee
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2007, 7:24 am

It is truly terrible that some slaughterhouses care more about increasing production than about the suffering of animals. But there have been some improvements. Last I heard, one third of all slaughterhouses in the US use the more humane designs of Temple Grandin:

http://www.voanews.com/english/archive/ ... N=99327753

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2007, 5:20 pm

The slaughterhouses know that it doesn't make any difference to the AR types if they do alleviate suffering. It won't appease them.

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2007, 6:27 pm

janicka wrote:
Anubis wrote:
PETA- Poorly Educated Teenage Activists

:lol:

That would be funny, if the upper-eschelons of their organisation weren't money hungry domestic terrorists who euthanize adoptable companion animals.

Not quite accurate: Actually, the uppers of the animal rights organizations are money hungry domestic terrorists who MURDER adoptable companion animals.

Markie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jan 2010, 6:10 am

Hi all

This is an interesting thread. Being a founder of an animal rights organization myself (www.animaldignity.org), I'd like to add my comments.

If one has the choice to not eat meat, or use animals for survival, I think choosing to do so, is different then when one is dependent on animals for survival. Perhaps our ancestors were dependent on animals for survival. I know I am not.
For me perhaps it's a religious kind of question. I just value animals, non-humans more as sentient, living, feeling beings, worthy of friendship, respect and compassion, than a quick and cruel fix to any particular need I might have momentarily, such as lust for a non-veggie steak.
That doesn't mean I don't kill mosquitoes. But there are differences.

As to the bashing of big, commercial animal welfare organizations like the HSUS, I can't agree more. They are nothing but hypocrites. That's why I created my own organization. I can't abide the hypocrisy of just about any of the existing animal welfare / rights organizations. They claim to want to fight for animals and their interests, yet the propagate animal castration, the number one means and symbol of enslaving animals and rendering them to right-less objects, to slaves of humans without any, not even the most fundamental rights.

Would you believe a humanitarian promoting castration of people?
Why do you when it comes to animals? Don't you see the connection between castration of humans for enslaving them and doing the same to animals?

The thing is: People are stupid. *DARN* friggin stupid.
Why else would hypocrite organizations like the HSUS receive such substantial support?