[ LONG ] Are you actually an ordinary person?

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2020, 5:21 pm

It appears I am ordinary in that I don't understand this thread either...

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2020, 5:27 pm

Here’s youR sign,,,? Think it was. Meant to be a Jeff foxworthy type humour.

I not sure I interpreted right , but thought if there was humour buried in it , would try to. Dig it out

where ever you go ,there you are

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2020, 5:40 pm

What I posted is a list of Barnum Statements of the kind typically used by confidence artists, multi-level management recruiters, and "psychics" to try and make people think they have some deep insight into their psychology or life.  They are also commonly used in horoscopes  Barnum Statements are statements which most people will agree with, regarding themselves, while not realizing that almost every other person will also agree with them regarding their own lives.

I was doing a single-blind experiment to see how many people would agree with how many statements.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2020, 5:46 pm

Fnord wrote:
What I posted is a list of Barnum Statements of the kind typically used by confidence artists, multi-level management recruiters, and "psychics" to try and make people think they have some deep insight into their psychology or life.  They are also commonly used in horoscopes  Barnum Statements are statements which most people will agree with, regarding themselves, while not realizing that almost every other person will also agree with them regarding their own lives.

I was doing a single-blind experiment to see how many people would agree with how many statements.

Is it too late to change my. First response ? Lolz :roll:

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2020, 5:50 pm

Fnord wrote:
[color=black]What I posted is a list of Barnum Statements of the kind typically used by confidence artists, multi-level management recruiters, and "psychics" to try and make people think they have some deep insight into their psychology or life....

So, not Aspies...

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2020, 5:57 pm

Am thinking fnord is our resident psychic ....... in a rather pragmatic way . :)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2020, 8:34 am

Jakki wrote:
Am thinking Fnord is our resident psychic ... in a rather pragmatic way.
No, Jakki, I am not "psychic" -- no one is.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2020, 8:34 am

Jiheisho wrote:
Fnord wrote:
What I posted is a list of Barnum Statements of the kind typically used by confidence artists, multi-level management recruiters, and "psychics" to try and make people think they have some deep insight into their psychology or life...
So, not Aspies...
Yes, aspies too.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2020, 8:37 am

Jakki wrote:
Fnord wrote:
What I posted is a list of Barnum Statements of the kind typically used by confidence artists, multi-level management recruiters, and "psychics" to try and make people think they have some deep insight into their psychology or life.  They are also commonly used in horoscopes  Barnum Statements are statements which most people will agree with, regarding themselves, while not realizing that almost every other person will also agree with them regarding their own lives.  I was doing a single-blind experiment to see how many people would agree with how many statements.
Is it too late to change my. First response ?
You can change which option you selected at any time.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2020, 8:43 am

When I think of "Barnum," I think of P. T. Barnum, showman and conman extraordinaire.....

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2020, 8:44 am

:mrgreen:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2020, 8:51 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
When I think of "Barnum," I think of P.T.Barnum, showman and conman extraordinaire.....
Yes Kortie, Barnum statements and the Barnum Effect were both named after Phineas T. Barnum in 1956 by psychologist Paul Meehl in his essay "Wanted -- A Good Cookbook", because he relates these vague personality descriptions (commonly used used in certain "pseudo-successful" psychological tests) to similar descriptions given by showman P. T. Barnum.

The Barnum Effect occurs when individuals give high accuracy ratings to descriptions of their personality that supposedly are tailored specifically to them, yet which are in fact vague and general enough to apply to a wide range of people.

I used them a lot when I earned a decent living by pretending to be a "psychic" back in the 1980s.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2020, 8:53 am

Indeed...the horoscopes in the daily papers tend to offer generalized "predictions" for each "sign."

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2020, 12:18 pm