Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2020, 4:15 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
not everybody has the "choice" [as if there were something resembling free will in this hellworld] of quitting their job. jobs are hard to come by for those at the bottom of the pecking order.

Do you use Reddit by any chance? if you do, I invite you to join us over at r/antiwork and r/latestagecapitalism. There's a lot of good Leftist discussion that goes on in those subs, and it's a nice reminder that not everybody worships The Line, and believes in the "Prosperity Gospel."

Anyway, I'm with you, brother. America is very good at spreading propaganda and the illusion of "choice."

You're in those subreddits too?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2020, 11:42 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
not everybody has the "choice" [as if there were something resembling free will in this hellworld] of quitting their job. jobs are hard to come by for those at the bottom of the pecking order.

Do you use Reddit by any chance? if you do, I invite you to join us over at r/antiwork and r/latestagecapitalism. There's a lot of good Leftist discussion that goes on in those subs, and it's a nice reminder that not everybody worships The Line, and believes in the "Prosperity Gospel."

Anyway, I'm with you, brother. America is very good at spreading propaganda and the illusion of "choice."

thank you for the links, am perusing now :study:

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2020, 1:59 am

GGPViper wrote:
Nades wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
Very bad idea:
- Industry

Why would industry be a bad idea?

There is little (if any) economic rationale for having governments produce industrial goods.

Theoretical: Industrial goods are good examples of "standard" market goods:

They are rival goods (the consumption of the good by one excludes the consumption by another)

Industrial goods are also mostly private goods (only the person using the good derives utility from its use).

Empirical: When compared to market production, countries where governments have the responsibility for industrial production have fared very poorly throughout history, as they have been mostly highly inefficient and prone to capture by special interests. The Soviet Union and pre-1978 China are prime examples, but not the only ones.

Productivity growth is also higher in industry than in the services sector (where the product is a task performed by a person, and not a "thing"), so there is a greater potential for efficiency gains from market competition.

Soviet Russia and China performed poorly because of inept government more than anything else. They took industry to an extreme that was unrealistic but a modest investment from government can't harm most countries.

As for rivalry, that will happen even with services and as for private goods, what's wrong with them? I always thought tangible goods beig sold made for a better economy than strictly service sector where, assuming everyone were to do service sector work, money just goes around in a circles and can't be linked to any assets being sold.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2020, 4:02 pm

League_Girl wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

You're in those subreddits too?

Sure am! Debate and discussion are nice, but, sometimes, I just want to be around like-minded people.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)