Opinions on autistics and religion (or lack of religion)

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lmhatahata
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Oct 2020, 5:08 pm

I've been reading about autism and religion, finding some conflicting results. Personally, I am not religious. Actually, I'm an atheist, but I respect all religions and never try to convince anyone to adopt my point of view. However, I have been under constant pressure to convert to one or another religion lately, they tell me I must "talk to god" or my problems will continue. I try to be polite but this is starting to bother me a lot. I usually tend to be very blunt in any type of communication and I'm afraid I have offended some ppl already, unintentionally. How do you all deal with this kind of thing?

I need someone to comfort me"

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2020, 5:16 pm

Nothing is a coincidence in life. I have seen and had many miriacles.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2020, 5:40 pm

I have a couple thoughts on this kind of thing.
One is that it might be useful to develop a 'standard response' which is minimally confrontational.
I already have a religion, a faith, and do get asked occasionally to convert to others; but not as frequently as it sounds like you are getting hit with.

That 'standard response' might go something like, "I do appreciate your concern about me but at this time I am not seeking to change my belief system and pressuring me to do so just shuts me off."

Might be worth trying and see if it works.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2020, 5:55 pm

talk to God
talk to Buddha
talk to the universe
talk to your inner self
perhaps all the same
perhaps heal the wounds
keep you sane
and safe from all our worst enemy
our own destructive emotions and thoughts
do you have to belong to a religion
do you have to belong to a gang
do you have to belong
to sing your own song
do you need others to control
or do you need to control too
to be simply you
the what and the who

some find salvation
some find kinship
some need a leader
to help them to not flip

but only you
can decide
what is best for you

follow your intuition
and what you heart tells you

some benefit from meditation
some from prayer
some by wearing no under wear

being around people who care
can sometimes be less a cross to bare

up to you if you want to keep it to yourself
and up to you if you choose to share

good luck in what you choose
just hope you don't get abused....

peace love let the universe / god/s / buddha heal you
feel the love and the beauty that this universe has to offer

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2020, 6:20 pm

lmhatahata wrote:
I've been reading about autism and religion, finding some conflicting results. Personally, I am not religious. Actually, I'm an atheist, but I respect all religions and never try to convince anyone to adopt my point of view. However, I have been under constant pressure to convert to one or another religion lately, they tell me I must "talk to god" or my problems will continue. I try to be polite but this is starting to bother me a lot. I usually tend to be very blunt in any type of communication and I'm afraid I have offended some ppl already, unintentionally. How do you all deal with this kind of thing?

Honestly if I had to deal with this on a daily basis, I would snap and start going anti god in their faces like how they are going all pro religion in my face, it goes both ways. And then call them out on their hypocrisy when they get mad at me for my view.

This is why I hate religion so much, I have no problems with the ones who have one and keep it to themselves and don't try to covert me or criticize me for my lack of going to church and my lack of religion.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2020, 6:24 pm

lmhatahata wrote:
However, I have been under constant pressure to convert to one or another religion lately, they tell me I must "talk to god" or my problems will continue. I try to be polite but this is starting to bother me a lot. I usually tend to be very blunt in any type of communication and I'm afraid I have offended some ppl already, unintentionally. How do you all deal with this kind of thing?

Ignore them when you can or continue to be blunt. You shouldn't feel bad for declining their intentional or unintentional attempts to proselytize you.

I deal with the problem by refusing to even speak their language or acknowledge attempts to probe at my beliefs.

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2020, 6:39 pm

If there really were a god he would’ve been able to prevent millions of COVID deaths. Don’t let anyone away you into any religious nonsense.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2020, 6:59 pm

some people find support in religion
sense of their existence that keeps them content enough to go on
some of these people would literally top themselves if they didn't have their religion

personally
surrendering to man who speaks for God / Buddha / the Universe
isn't for me

Man is imperfect as i am

why should any man take orders from such people and bow down to such people
when they could have committed worse crimes against god / buddha / the universe
as any of us

personally
i have had bad experiences with people who are Jehovah Witnesses, Hare Krsna's, Born Again Christians
to put me off organised religion forever

Like Krsna Mundi, organised religions generally suck

i have no problem with others being into what they are into
and i believe that some really do benefit from meditation and prayer

i just don't think that one needs to belong to a man made organisation to get that benefit

if you believe in God or not

If you do, then you can still communicate one on one
if you don't then don't need to even endure such an endeavour

i respect people/s own right to having their own beliefs and values
as long as they do not hurt innocent people

and they do not force anyone else to subscribe to their religion (like the Jehovah Witnesses can be quite intrusive)

As human beings we all have human rights

we have the right to believe or choose not to believe!
so shall it be for eternity!
Amen! (the Amen i refer to is the Amen Break sampled by so many Jungalist! up the Jungalist Massive!! Amen!

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2020, 7:04 pm

First, I'm sorry you have to deal with this. It's one of my pet peeves when people try to shove their religion down my throat. It drives me nuts. I totally sympathize. It sucks. I'm sorry.

My go to when people start in on me with their god talk is to let them know I am an atheist, and while I appreciate the thought, I'd like it if they would stop now. If they don't stop, I politely tell them I have to go now since they are refusing to respect my boundaries. I generally smile, tell them to have a good day, and then walk away from them.

I used to be more aggressive about it, but the older I get the less i care to. there was a time I would have responded with "hail eris" (or Satan or the Flying Spaghetti Monster) and try to convert them to discordianism (or satanism or pastafarianism). :lol: even though that can be fun, comments like those can put you in a place where the other person might want to further engage, so I don't really recommend that route nowadays.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2020, 2:06 am

Luckily, people pushing their religion on others is mostly a non-issue where I live (Denmark).

I do recall an instance where an Evangelical Christian (an American, BTW, in a park in Copenhagen???) caught me by surprise, as she was actually proselytizing under the false pretext of asking for directions... but the vast majority of people here keep their religion (if any) to themselves.

Anyway, I generally treat people who are proselytizing the same way as chuggers (charity muggers):

- Politely say no once (I use "Sorry, not today" as my standard line)
- Keep walking (don't even slow down)
- Never - ever - respond to their questions/inquiries

lmhatahata
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Oct 2020, 4:11 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Nothing is a coincidence in life. I have seen and had many miriacles.

I can honestly say that I have seen some things that I cannot explain and that do not seem like coincidences to me either. If anything, I might say that I believe in karma, bc that seems to work often. But I might be wrong. See, this is my issue. I am constantly questioning everything. I say I am an atheist bc if someone asks me if I believe in god, my answer is no, simply bc the usual image of a god up in heaven is hard for me to imagine. I do not rule anything out though, but I have been trained in science and I also feel like I must have an open position on this in order to do my work. Not that scientists cannot be religious, but they should not believe the earth is flat or that it is only 6000 yrs old, if you understand. I hope this makes sense and that I am not offending you. If I have, I apologize.

lmhatahata
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Oct 2020, 4:17 am

madbutnotmad wrote:
talk to God
talk to Buddha
talk to the universe
talk to your inner self
perhaps all the same
perhaps heal the wounds
keep you sane
and safe from all our worst enemy
our own destructive emotions and thoughts
do you have to belong to a religion
do you have to belong to a gang
do you have to belong
to sing your own song
do you need others to control
or do you need to control too
to be simply you
the what and the who

some find salvation
some find kinship
some need a leader
to help them to not flip

but only you
can decide
what is best for you

follow your intuition
and what you heart tells you

some benefit from meditation
some from prayer
some by wearing no under wear

being around people who care
can sometimes be less a cross to bare

up to you if you want to keep it to yourself
and up to you if you choose to share

good luck in what you choose
just hope you don't get abused....

peace love let the universe / god/s / buddha heal you
feel the love and the beauty that this universe has to offer

Love this. Thank you <3

lmhatahata
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Oct 2020, 4:20 am

League_Girl wrote:
lmhatahata wrote:

Honestly if I had to deal with this on a daily basis, I would snap and start going anti god in their faces like how they are going all pro religion in my face, it goes both ways. And then call them out on their hypocrisy when they get mad at me for my view.

This is why I hate religion so much, I have no problems with the ones who have one and keep it to themselves and don't try to covert me or criticize me for my lack of going to church and my lack of religion.

This is what tends to happen to me too after a while. Actually, I finally snapped last night and told them they were being disrespectful to me, just as they said I was disrespecting them. I don't think that was rude but I got some ugly looks at me...

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2020, 4:22 am

One of the advantages of entering old age is nobody bothers trying to proselytize you anymore

lmhatahata
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Oct 2020, 4:23 am

madbutnotmad wrote:
some people find support in religion
sense of their existence that keeps them content enough to go on
some of these people would literally top themselves if they didn't have their religion

personally
surrendering to man who speaks for God / Buddha / the Universe
isn't for me

Man is imperfect as i am

why should any man take orders from such people and bow down to such people
when they could have committed worse crimes against god / buddha / the universe
as any of us

personally
i have had bad experiences with people who are Jehovah Witnesses, Hare Krsna's, Born Again Christians
to put me off organised religion forever

Like Krsna Mundi, organised religions generally suck

i have no problem with others being into what they are into
and i believe that some really do benefit from meditation and prayer

i just don't think that one needs to belong to a man made organisation to get that benefit

if you believe in God or not

If you do, then you can still communicate one on one
if you don't then don't need to even endure such an endeavour

i respect people/s own right to having their own beliefs and values
as long as they do not hurt innocent people

and they do not force anyone else to subscribe to their religion (like the Jehovah Witnesses can be quite intrusive)

As human beings we all have human rights

we have the right to believe or choose not to believe!
so shall it be for eternity!
Amen! (the Amen i refer to is the Amen Break sampled by so many Jungalist! up the Jungalist Massive!! Amen!

Again, I completely agree! Human rights will protect me more than any prayer could. Thanks!

lmhatahata
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Oct 2020, 4:26 am

FleaOfTheChill wrote:
First, I'm sorry you have to deal with this. It's one of my pet peeves when people try to shove their religion down my throat. It drives me nuts. I totally sympathize. It sucks. I'm sorry.

My go to when people start in on me with their god talk is to let them know I am an atheist, and while I appreciate the thought, I'd like it if they would stop now. If they don't stop, I politely tell them I have to go now since they are refusing to respect my boundaries. I generally smile, tell them to have a good day, and then walk away from them.

I used to be more aggressive about it, but the older I get the less i care to. there was a time I would have responded with "hail eris" (or Satan or the Flying Spaghetti Monster) and try to convert them to discordianism (or satanism or pastafarianism). :lol: even though that can be fun, comments like those can put you in a place where the other person might want to further engage, so I don't really recommend that route nowadays.

That is good advice but now I am very tempted to try to convert ppl to pastafarianism :D