Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2020, 1:17 am

Hi again!

I used to post here quite a bit back in 2018 and 2019.

Since the CoViD crisis hit, my life has become rather frantic most of the time, so I have not had much time for online social activity, beyond the regularly scheduled online chats that I've been hosting once or twice a month since then.

I work from home as a programmer, together with my boyfriend as a self-employed team -- not making anywhere near as much money as we could if we worked as corporate employees, but the latter is not an option for us for various reasons.

My boyfriend was diagnosed, back in 2000 or so, with what was then called Asperger's syndrome. Since I met him in late 2008, we both suspected that I was probably on the autism spectrum too. I didn't pursue a diagnosis until 2018, and finally received it in the spring of 2019.

Throughout my life, I have always felt like an oddball. Since my late teens, my strategy for coping with this has been to seek out fellow oddballs of one kind or another. To that end, I got involved in a variety of oddball subcultures over the years -- starting with being an LGBT rights activist (I'm bisexual) back in the late 1970's, long before the LGBT community became anywhere near as socially accepted as it is now. (I always expected that there would be SOME progress, but, back then, I never dared to hope that same-sex marriage would become legal within my lifetime!)

Due to my life experience of intermittent involvement in a social movement that has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams (although it still has a long way to go), I am cautiously optimistic about other kinds of social change as well, such as the autistic rights movement.

In some of the various oddball subcultures I have gotten involved in over the years, I have occasionally been a leader or co-leader (and sometimes a founder or co-founder) of a group of one kind or another. I'm far from the world's greatest leader/facilitator, but I seem to be better at leading/facilitating groups than I am at participating in groups led/facilitated by others. In groups led/facilitated by others, I too often have trouble figuring out when it's my turn to speak, and I often don't think of anything worthwhile to say on any given topic until the topic of conversation has moved on to something else. When I'm the leader/facilitator, I try to run a group in ways that make it possible for people who share my social difficulties to participate in it.

Anyhow, it seems to me that the autistic community is very under-developed as an organized subculture. I have a lot of ideas on how the autistic community can grow and develop to become generally much more useful, to make it easier for all of us to find friends and build the support networks that we will all eventually need as we get older, and to make life easier for us in other ways too, e.g. finding jobs. My thoughts about these matters are summed up in the following section of my website: Longterm visions for the autistic community.

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 14 Oct 2020, 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2020, 1:29 am

Welcome back Mona....

We had some good discussions before you disappeared.

How's the rona in NYC?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2020, 8:52 am

Welcome back. This board was less without your insight.

I was worried because you stopped posting in April during the APEX of the pandemic in NYC.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2020, 9:30 am

I'm relatively new here but: Hi!

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2020, 10:50 am

Welcome back!

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2020, 6:43 pm

Welcome back, Mona!

#palestinianlivesmatter

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2020, 9:34 pm

Alas I'm still very busy, so I won't be able to post here regularly like I did for a while back in 2018 and 2019. I'll probably just be popping in for brief periods now and then. I'm glad I popped in these past couple of days, because, as it turned out, I was in a position to give some significant practical help to one person here at no cost to myself. But I need to get back to work now.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2020, 9:43 pm

You did a good job with that person, Mona.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2020, 12:59 pm

Welcome back to Wrong Planet! :D

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2021, 3:59 pm

I finally, reluctantly, decided to get a Twitter account, as a way to help me publicize the various groups led or facilitated by myself and other members of the Autistic Peer Leadership Group.

Hopefully I won't get too overwhelmed by the nasty mobs that Twitter is infamous for.