Could this be considered a compliment?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2020, 12:30 pm

once when i was very drunk this girl called me a "weirdo"

do you think sometimes being called a weirdo by a girl could be considered a compliment?  

it could imply that she thinks i am interesting or quirky in some way perhaps?

specialsauce
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Oct 2020, 3:39 pm

no. you got drunk and did something weird.

its happened to me. I'm meeting someone new and doing what I think is the socially acceptable thing but they will respond 'thats wierd'.

The key point is you were drunk so you may have just gone on a whole spiel without even pausing to try and read the other person's response.

The killer thing here is the over-enthusiasm, not the intoxication. you can succesfully talk to people when you are very intoxicated, as long as you are not over-enthusiastic. but even when you are sober, if you are over-enthusiastic as well, people will avoid you.

Alcohol lowers inhibitions so you are more likely to come off as too enthusiastic.

Think of it like someone who is an obvious street beggar, making a sharp turn and a dash in your direction. You know in a couple of seconds you are going to have to hear a fake sob story that you don't frankly have time for.

Women demand that you demonstrate interest in a subtle way, if at all. And if they don't think you are subtle they will call you weird.

I think that's actually the closest definition of the word, it is used to say 'I see through you' Although it could also mean 'your behaviour is out of the ordinary to the point that I can't see through you' They want you to be somewhat predictable.

This is why it's all so hard for me. Working out how to be the right degree of subtle and unpredictable.

Last edited by specialsauce on 14 Oct 2020, 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2020, 3:54 pm

being called a weirdo is seldom a compliment.
Most often it is a cruel insult.

Unless the girl who called you a weirdo is someone who goes out her way to be a weirdo herself.
In which case she may identify with you and think that you are one of her kind.

Generally speaking, sorry to say, it is used to be mean to someone and to perhaps get rid of them.

Don't worry too much about it.
Just look for a different girl who isn't mean to you.

specialsauce
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Oct 2020, 4:06 pm

When I was a child children called me weird and now as an adult I have been called weird by grown men and women.

Its not good. The thing in common with all of those people who called me weird? I stay away from them. I don't talk to them. And I just keep working towards finding the people I like.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2020, 4:13 pm

No.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2020, 4:14 pm

No. "Wierdo" is never a compliment when it comes from a stranger whom you just met.

A young lady I worked with for at least a year was visited on the job by a friend. The friend smiled when I introduced myself and the person said "oh yeah, she is told me about you, and how 'weird' you are...coming from her I am pretty sure that was a compliment". And we both kinda laughed about it. And I am sure it was a compliment. But thats because I knew her for a year and knew that she liked me as a person , and knew somewhat where she was coming from, and like that. So that was different.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2020, 4:22 pm

Weirdo is a compliment in the sense that it means your the type of person who is unique and not commonly encountered.

The girl who said to me is the ‘goth’ or emo type i think...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2020, 4:57 pm

Depends on the specific context.

Most of the time, being called a "weirdo" is not complimentary.

Now....if you were called an "oddball," then it would more likely be complimentary.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2020, 4:58 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Depends on the specific context.

Most of the time, being called a "weirdo" is not complimentary.

Now....if you were called an "oddball," then it would more likely be complimentary.

Why is it not complimentary?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2020, 5:00 pm

Most of the time, the term "weirdo" is not used in a complimentary sense. It's the English language, that's why.

Though you never know. That's why I said it "depends on the specific context."

People tend to act stupid when they are very drunk. Even the most intelligent and rational of people.

It would be more problematic if you were a "weirdo" when you are sober.

malavois
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Oct 2020, 1:16 am

Surprised no female-identified people have commented yet.

I have definitely affectionately called a guy a weirdo. I think what you did/said is less relevant than how she said it. Was she smiling and/or laughing? If so, then she may have meant it as “I think you are different/interesting in an appealing way but I’m not sure where the boundaries are here so rather than say something obviously affectionate, I will call you a weirdo.” That’s how I would mean it.

If you don’t remember what her face looked like when she called you a weirdo, then it could really mean anything. It depends on whether you think she would consider weirdness to be a positive. If she was completely sober and you were drunk, it was probably not good.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2020, 2:07 am

Generally speaking it's not a compliment. If you know details we don't and believe it was meant as a compliment, trust your gut. Otherwise assume it most likely wasn't meant as a compliment.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2020, 3:14 am

If you have to ask, then the answer is probably no.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2020, 6:07 am

It’s not terrible, though.

I’ve been called a weirdo stone cold sober. That’s just the way life is.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2020, 12:30 pm

All drunk people become weirdos. That's why I don't understand why getting really drunk is considered such a trend among NTs; they're the ones that are afraid of any weirdness but still intoxicate their bodies with a liquid that makes them display weird behaviour.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2020, 1:10 pm

Joe90 wrote:
All drunk people become weirdos. That's why I don't understand why getting really drunk is considered such a trend among NTs; they're the ones that are afraid of any weirdness but still intoxicate their bodies with a liquid that makes them display weird behaviour.

There's socially acceptable weirdness and socially unacceptable weirdness.

There's expected weirdness and unexpected weirdness. Drunk weirdness is expected and therefore tolerated. Autistic weirdness is not expected.