Very 23%  23%  [ 3 ]
Somewhat 38%  38%  [ 5 ]
Not at all 38%  38%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 13

DesertWoman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Oct 2020, 12:30 am

I'm transitioning to part-time work and it's really hard. I lost my full-time teaching job a few weeks ago. It meant a lot to me. I felt like something was out of whack, though, and I've put a lot of heart and soul into my career.

I'm a licensed teacher. It took me years and years to work up to full-time employment. I learn something new about people every time I lose a job. I'm also stressed out from living with my mother and father. It wasn't easy growing up with them. I made it my mission to become a self-reliant person and all of that is gone now. I'm on disability and I'm so traumatized, I'll don't think I can teach full time again, for a really long time. I've lost seven full-time teaching jobs in a seven year period. I also had other jobs in between that I lost. It's been over 20 years of this vicious cycle.

Frankly, enough is enough. It feels like my life is not my own. I just want some peace. I keep meeting these men who expect so much out of me and they're not even communicating properly with me. It's just humiliating and degrading.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2020, 2:53 am

Addressing the poll:

While this is probably the best time of my life in terms of personal and financial freedom, freedom from stress, and personal enlightenment, it doesn't change the fact that we are all forced into a corrupt, toxic and brutal life system. EEP! 8O
Given the choice, I would have given the bulldust a massive pass.
Unfortunately, no one is given a choice, are they? <Rhetorical question> 8)

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2020, 4:05 pm

You don't have to work full-time to be successful, although that is what a lot of NT's think.

Just be you.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2020, 9:43 pm

What does the poll have to do with the topic?

idntonkw
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Nov 2020, 12:40 am

DesertWoman wrote:
I'm transitioning to part-time work and it's really hard. I lost my full-time teaching job a few weeks ago. It meant a lot to me. I felt like something was out of whack, though, and I've put a lot of heart and soul into my career.

I'm a licensed teacher. It took me years and years to work up to full-time employment. I learn something new about people every time I lose a job. I'm also stressed out from living with my mother and father. It wasn't easy growing up with them. I made it my mission to become a self-reliant person and all of that is gone now. I'm on disability and I'm so traumatized, I'll don't think I can teach full time again, for a really long time. I've lost seven full-time teaching jobs in a seven year period. I also had other jobs in between that I lost. It's been over 20 years of this vicious cycle.

Frankly, enough is enough. It feels like my life is not my own. I just want some peace. I keep meeting these men who expect so much out of me and they're not even communicating properly with me. It's just humiliating and degrading.

Las Vegas is probably an underfunded school district. Poor schools tend to offer part time position to save money on full time pay with benefits.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2020, 9:29 pm

Right now working one part time job. Retail. My job is just pushing shopping carts. Not too many angry customers, like mcdonald's. Not physically difficult, like construction. Not unsanitary, like nurse. Not dangerous, like firefighter. Not emotionally disturbing, like jail warden

All I do is rearrange shopping carts. And move boxes into cars.

However my worthless corpse emotionally fragile. 27 hours a week seems like a long time. Most recent paying job, June 2016. Record keeping associate, Westpac. Westpac had the nerve to make me redundant third day

Parking lot kind of loud, but not nearly as loud as a rock concert

Constantly paranoid of getting run over by a car

Sometimes a couple of customers want me to be their slave at the same time (multitasking)

Sometimes customers bark at me when my 120 pound worthless corpse failed to move 80 pound boxes

But nothing too dramatic

Although rain forecasted next Tuesday

Rain triggers eczema flare ups

Might get made redundant

But whatever

"Life" was over a long time ago

Has nothing to do with the current job or any other job

Work, public transportation, sleep, not much time for anything else

That could be a good thing. False sense of productivity. And feel like I belong to something.

That could be a bad thing. Sleep deprivation. Accumulated stress.

2.1 out of 4 undergraduate gpa.

2.67 minimum for teaching credential

Otherwise I could have been a teacher

No way I could handle a full time job

idntonkw
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Nov 2020, 1:33 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Right now working one part time job. Retail. My job is just pushing shopping carts. Not too many angry customers, like mcdonald's. Not physically difficult, like construction. Not unsanitary, like nurse. Not dangerous, like firefighter. Not emotionally disturbing, like jail warden

All I do is rearrange shopping carts. And move boxes into cars.

However my worthless corpse emotionally fragile. 27 hours a week seems like a long time. Most recent paying job, June 2016. Record keeping associate, Westpac. Westpac had the nerve to make me redundant third day

Parking lot kind of loud, but not nearly as loud as a rock concert

Constantly paranoid of getting run over by a car

Sometimes a couple of customers want me to be their slave at the same time (multitasking)

Sometimes customers bark at me when my 120 pound worthless corpse failed to move 80 pound boxes

But nothing too dramatic

Although rain forecasted next Tuesday

Rain triggers eczema flare ups

Might get made redundant

But whatever

"Life" was over a long time ago

Has nothing to do with the current job or any other job

Work, public transportation, sleep, not much time for anything else

That could be a good thing. False sense of productivity. And feel like I belong to something.

That could be a bad thing. Sleep deprivation. Accumulated stress.

2.1 out of 4 undergraduate gpa.

2.67 minimum for teaching credential

Otherwise I could have been a teacher

No way I could handle a full time job

I kind of miss the on/off grind of taking public transport to work, then going home and sleeping and the exercise made me feel better, although it was also tiring and time consuming. I like your sense of self awareness. If teaching is/was your goal, perhaps it may be worth pursuing still, maybe apply to be a 'teaching aid' at a school, or try to 'be a substitute teacher for a while in the district you want to get hired in, or go work in a high need district that just wants warm bodies.' source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Teachers/comme ... a_low_gpa/