“Free Speech” protest attacked, canceled in Frisco

Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2020, 12:25 pm

Counterprotesters Attack Conservative Demonstrators at San Francisco Free Speech Rally; 3 SFPD Officers Injured

Quote:
A free speech demonstration staged by conservative activists quickly fell apart in downtown San Francisco on Saturday after several hundred counterprotesters surged the area, outnumbering and attacking those gathered, including knocking one in the mouth.

Three San Francisco Police officers were recovering from non-life-threatening injuries sustained when they were assaulted with pepper spray and caustic chemicals.

Team Save America organized the rally to protest Twitter, which it said squelches conservative speech.

Pro-Trump free-speech supporters and liberal anti-Trump plus anti-fascist protesters faced off at San Francisco’s United Nations Plaza and on a street near Twitter’s Market Street headquarters in a protest over the social media giant’s policing policy of hate speech and fake political news.

Members of the group wore red “Make America Great Again” Trump campaign hats and carried pro-police “Thin Blue Line” flags and U.S. flags.

The Proud Boys were supposed to attend but organizers said they didn’t show up.

Within minutes of when the protest started, there was pushing, shoving and some punches thrown between those protesting with opposing views. One of the protest organizers — Philip Anderson — was punched in the face.

Anderson posted photos to social media of his bloody mouth with a front tooth missing and another hanging loosely. He said anti-fascist protesters attacked him “for no reason.”

San Francisco police said several people and three officers were injured. Paramedics took one officer to the hospital for treatment. They told KPIX no arrests were made.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2020, 1:34 pm

When the right side say free speech, they mean things like saying racist things, homophobia, transphobia, xenophobia.

I don't see the left side or anyone else whining about censorship or free speech because we are not going around saying this s**t so we don't need to talk about free speech because we don't feel censored.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2020, 2:18 pm

The man who organized the *free speech* rally, Philip Anderson, had his front teeth knocked out ...

He said he's voting for Trump because: “I love America, I love this country and I love free speech".
https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2020/ ... h-protest/

Be the hero of your life.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2020, 2:45 pm

So many conservative capitalists will go on and on about the right of businesses and universities to freely choose what speech they allow on their property and platforms up until the moment they try to curtail hate speech and fake news. Then the victim complex comes out for all to see.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2020, 3:20 am

League_Girl wrote:
When the right side say free speech, they mean things like saying racist things, homophobia, transphobia, xenophobia.

I don't see the left side or anyone else whining about censorship or free speech because we are not going around saying this s**t so we don't need to talk about free speech because we don't feel censored.

The Free Speech Movement was born at the very left Berkley
Bernie Sanders defends Ann Coulter’s right to speak
Quote:
Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) defended Ann Coulter’s right to speak without disruption or intimidation and criticized those who seek to prevent controversial speakers from being heard on college campuses.

As Bernie understands the left until recently has been the vanguard against censorship because historically in America it has been the right doing the censoring be it the Senator McCarthy anti communist witchhunts, the related Hollywood blacklists, book burning and banning of “Godless”, “sexually perverted” etc books.

Autistic people should be the first ones to be against censorship being as we are often the ones that think differently, present in ways that people want to censor.

People that oppose the neurodiversity movement say that neurodiversity advocates by treating autism as a difference is causing untold suffering. So why not ban pro ND movement speech?(rhetorical question)

Why some of us do not want to censure people who say stomach turning things is not about whining, or our racist white privilege it is understanding history.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2020, 3:40 am

roronoa79 wrote:
So many conservative capitalists will go on and on about the right of businesses and universities to freely choose what speech they allow on their property and platforms up until the moment they try to curtail hate speech and fake news. Then the victim complex comes out for all to see.

That's what I was thinking. Universities have traditionally been seen as incubators for left wing social justice advocates because intellectuals who claim to be right wing generally can't provide evidence based reasons for racism, corporate greed, environmental pollution, small government and low taxes and other things conservatives want to talk about but sound like selfish bastards when they do.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 8:22 am

Lots of false assumptions in these posts. Might be a good idea to get to know some people who have different points of view rather than just vilifying them.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 6:35 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Lots of false assumptions in these posts. Might be a good idea to get to know some people who have different points of view rather than just vilifying them.

Nothing as fast as a conservative university student or academic running away when they see a TV crew looking for interviews :lol:

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 10:28 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:

We are all to aware of them and their points of view. It is not for a lack of understanding that their views are being rejected.
They are choosing to protest Twitter regulating hate speech and intentional misinformation on their sites. That's what they're choosing to protest. They're either taking issue with a private company regulating the use of its own service in general, which would go against their free market capitalism. Or they are protesting the regulation of hate speech and misinformation in particular, which is reprehensible.
Not to mention that the Proud Boys were originally planned to accompany these protesters--so it's clear their beliefs go beyond just "free speech".

- Thucydides

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2020, 8:48 am

roronoa79 wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

We are all to aware of them and their points of view. It is not for a lack of understanding that their views are being rejected.
They are choosing to protest Twitter regulating hate speech and intentional misinformation on their sites. That's what they're choosing to protest. They're either taking issue with a private company regulating the use of its own service in general, which would go against their free market capitalism. Or they are protesting the regulation of hate speech and misinformation in particular, which is reprehensible.
Not to mention that the Proud Boys were originally planned to accompany these protesters--so it's clear their beliefs go beyond just "free speech".

I beg to differ. Conservatives and republicans are not racists or homophobes. This is more of a political issue about the coming election. The problem with social media is that it has created this echo chamber where people only see the things that validate their own biases.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2020, 1:11 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
roronoa79 wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

I beg to differ. Conservatives and republicans are not racists or homophobes. This is more of a political issue about the coming election. The problem with social media is that it has created this echo chamber where people only see the things that validate their own biases.

Strange thing is every racist, homophobe, and transphobe I have seen online always happened to be a conservative or a Trump supporter. How do I know this, they have those listed in their bio or have posts about it it on their page or they confirm they are a Trumper or conservative or they were posting in r/The_Donald which is now a banned sub.

I have noticed this strange pattern and it can't possibly be a coincidence. :?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2020, 2:53 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:

I fail to see how a ban on hate speech and fake news could have a negative effect on the electoral process. And suggesting that curtailing hate speech or fake news would be detrimental to the Republican cause in particular does not reflect well on them or those supporters of theirs who think that.
People do not exist solely on social media. We do have lives outside the internet. I got no shortage of toxic conservative perspectives growing up and I haven't had a shortage of them since. They're spouting the same things I've been hearing since I was 10. Listening to them whine about hate speech and fake news bans is not going to change my mind or make me think better of them. If anything conservative rhetoric had gotten worse over the last 15-20 years. They used to at least have a modicum of respectability and moderation, but now the centrists and moderate conservatives are drowned out by the reactionaries.
And, again, this groups association with the Proud Boys makes it very hard for me to think they are not racist or homophobic. And the fact that they're taking issue with a ban on hate speech, but that should go without saying.

- Thucydides

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2020, 3:17 pm

roronoa79 wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
I beg to differ. Conservatives and Republicans are not racists or homophobes. This is more of a political issue about the coming election. The problem with social media is that it has created this echo chamber where people only see the things that validate their own biases.

I fail to see how protesting a ban on hate speech and fake news could have a negative effect on the electoral process. And suggesting that curtailing hate speech or fake news would be detrimental to the Republican cause in particular does not reflect well on them or those supporters of theirs who think that.
People do not exist solely on social media. We do have lives outside the internet. I got no shortage of toxic conservative perspectives growing up and I haven't had a shortage of them since. They're spouting the same things I've been hearing since I was 10. Listening to them whine about hate speech and fake news bans is not going to change my mind or make me think better of them.
And, again, this groups association with the Proud Boys makes it very hard for me to think they are not racist or homophobic. And the fact that they're taking issue with a ban on hate speech, but that should go without saying.

Invariably when one starts banning toxic ideas good ideas that are out of the mainstream don't get heard or are not allowed to get out of the fringes. Society would be a lot better if we did not have to deal with and hear the likes of the Proud Boys. The thing is there is this expression "The Price of Freedom". The price has generally thought of as soldiers dying and being wounded in battle but the price also involves having to deal with the ramifications of toxic speech. The fact the free speech movement has been hijacked by a combination of the alt-right and hypocritical self-serving people does not change why the sometimes painful tolerance of free expression of ideas overall is a good thing.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2020, 3:56 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
roronoa79 wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
I beg to differ. Conservatives and Republicans are not racists or homophobes. This is more of a political issue about the coming election. The problem with social media is that it has created this echo chamber where people only see the things that validate their own biases.

I fail to see how protesting a ban on hate speech and fake news could have a negative effect on the electoral process. And suggesting that curtailing hate speech or fake news would be detrimental to the Republican cause in particular does not reflect well on them or those supporters of theirs who think that.
People do not exist solely on social media. We do have lives outside the internet. I got no shortage of toxic conservative perspectives growing up and I haven't had a shortage of them since. They're spouting the same things I've been hearing since I was 10. Listening to them whine about hate speech and fake news bans is not going to change my mind or make me think better of them.

Invariably when one starts banning toxic ideas good ideas that are out of the mainstream don't get heard or are not allowed to get out of the fringes. Society would be a lot better if we did not have to deal with and hear the likes of the Proud Boys. The thing is there is this expression "The Price of Freedom". The price has generally thought of as soldiers dying and being wounded in battle but the price also involves having to deal with the ramifications of toxic speech. The fact the free speech movement has been hijacked by a combination of the alt-right and hypocritical self-serving people does not change why the sometimes painful tolerance of free expression of ideas overall is a good thing.

The state respects freedom of speech, this doesn't mean the people aren't entitled to voice their disapproval and resist violent organizations with openly racist agendas from operating openly in their community.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2020, 4:37 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

I am well aware of the old adage that "Freedom of speech exists for people you disagree with", but there is a limit. People spreading ideas that central American immigrants are violent invaders, or that feminists are trying to destroy western civilization, or that trans people are predatory deviants are not valuable speech. They poison public discourse and get people killed.
What near-fringe ideas do you have in mind that might be unfairly stifled because of policies that platforms like twitter have adopted?

- Thucydides

xX0Xx
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Oct 2020, 6:18 pm

"How dare we on the alt-right not have the freedom of speech to gaslight the whole country with dangerous misinformation!" :roll: