Must I look muscular to look attractive ?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 8:59 am

It does irritate me when you see magazines and reality TV shows like Love Island that show models and other people with muscular physiques and it seems give the idea that THAT is what you must look like to be attractive even though some it might have been airbrushed and so on to make them look a certain way than they actually are. I don't have those muscles and yet I have been trying to exercise at home every day with press-ups and weights, I am 6 feet tall and weigh 10 stone 1 pound and I still seem to think I still look quite like a skinny teenager at 31.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 9:29 am

The primitive human psyche dictates that a fit physique is more attractive than an unfit physique -- healthy women are perceived as better breeders, and healthy men are perceived as better providers.  This is supported (and exploited) by societal norms through media advertising and entertainment.

However, it is possible to attract or be attracted to someone whose physique is not even close to the popular standards for beauty.  It is possible for a man to look like Gargamel on a bad day and still find love.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 10:08 am

Depends on what one is attracted to.

I know many people who aren’t attracted to the stereotypical Hollywood/fashion model physique and are very open about the fact that they prefer heavier set, or skinnier, types.

Regardless of body shape, physical fitness pretty much consistently makes people more attractive. Whether that’s a wire-y strong skinny guy or big heavy set pit bull of a man, strength/stamina etc help - even IF people don’t look like billboard models.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 3:20 pm

Short answer, yes.

FeelLikeAnAlien
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Oct 2020, 4:02 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Short answer, yes.

i love your profiel picture

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 4:07 pm

Some women like men with "muscular physiques". Other women really don't.

In my life, women have found me more attractive when I was chubby than when I was skinny.

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 4:13 pm

I agree with Kraftie. Personally I don't find those super fit/buff, model type guys, very attractive. Additionally, I often find them to behave like jerks and have really bland personalities.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 4:55 pm

My wife is getting on my case because I'm losing too much weight from running LOL

She likes me chubby, so she could call me fatso!

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 5:16 pm

I would say it really depends on the individual.

I think i ideally would like to be skinny to athletic rather than muscle bound.
I grew up doing martial arts, and personally prefer agility and speed over raw muscle power.

I have gone to the gym on and off for years, mostly to prevent myself from getting too fat,
but also to keep up my cardio fitness (which is important for martial arts, as well as power).

I observe the types that go to the gym, and i would say that the guys who get the most attention
are the ones who are nice guys, who are athletic rather than the big muscle bound super macho fellas on illegal steroids.

I think that some of those guys who push really heavy weights to build super big and defined muscles look like aliens bug people, and i find them very self obsessed with their looks. If you followed them you would see them looking in the mirror every time they passed one. Super vein.

I think a balance would be better.

I still go to the gym, but solely for cardio and perhaps to strengthen my leg muscles (as my leg muscles aren't as strong as they used to be due to a judo injury). Would be nice to lose a bit excess weight, as i feel better when i am thin.

Not fussed about having big defined super muscles, more into just being fairly slim with a nice shape.

I think what girls are attracted to can vary.

Being slim or skinny isn't the worst shape to have. Super slim people usually can't put on muscle that easy, but they can stay slim. When your young, it may not appear to be a big deal, just weight for 10 years or so, when all the other guys your age will have spent 10 extra years living it up and enjoying domestic bliss.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2020, 1:23 am

FeelLikeAnAlien wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Short answer, yes.

i love your profiel picture

but I have no muscles in that picture.
:mrgreen:
Umm... not even bones.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2020, 2:50 pm

Good looks open the door for you, but that's also as far as it will take you. After I became what people call physically fit, I'm often told that I'm good-looking. Usually, the other shoe drops by the 3. date, and girls lose interest once my Asperger's syndrome becomes more obvious.

Every man can improve his looks. Gaining muscle is easy if you put in some effort (and some money, since it's impossible to do on a bread and butter diet).

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2020, 4:23 pm

I do think there is some truth in muscles being attractive to the opposite sex.
I want to beef up muscle, but not just because of the opposite sex, I want to look appealing for me too.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 6:31 am

Fnord wrote:
The primitive human psyche dictates that a fit physique is more attractive than an unfit physique -- healthy women are perceived as better breeders, and healthy men are perceived as better providers.  This is supported (and exploited) by societal norms through media advertising and entertainment.

However, it is possible to attract or be attracted to someone whose physique is not even close to the popular standards for beauty.  It is possible for a man to look like Gargamel on a bad day and still find love.

Possible, but improbable, yourself being the exception. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 6:32 am

Hollywood_Guy wrote:
I do think there is some truth in muscles being attractive to the opposite sex.
I want to beef up muscle, but not just because of the opposite sex, I want to look appealing for me too.

I want to look healthy and strong to keep the sociopaths and psychopaths off my back. 8)

specialsauce
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Oct 2020, 8:00 pm

not only must you be fit, muscular, tall, well dressed, and handsome, but you must agree to sleep with women who are not fit, extremely overweight, unexceptional, short, and stupid. if you dont then you are a practioner of hate who can be banned from this forum.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 9:05 pm

specialsauce wrote:
not only must you be fit, muscular, tall, well dressed, and handsome, but you must agree to sleep with women who are not fit, extremely overweight, unexceptional, short, and stupid. if you dont then you are a practioner of hate who can be banned from this forum.

If these are the kinds of cartoonishly absurd exaggerations you're pedalling about the standards of this forum, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that the mods come down hard on you.