Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 1:34 pm

What do people want me to say when they say this?

I tell them the age of my cat.

They say "that's old for a cat".

Do they want to tell me "she's going to die soon"? Or "I don't believe you" (even though they know me & I tell them the year I got her and they should already know that...).

I don't like thinking about how old she is.

Cos that means she will die soon, even though she's relatively healthy.

I don't know a more polite way they could mean this. Or how I'm supposed to reply.

I've had her since I was at school and she was a kitten.

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 1:37 pm

How old is your cat?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 1:56 pm

The Average Lifespan of a Cat seems to vary around 12 years, and depends on the breed.

15 years or more is definitely old for a cat.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 1:58 pm

My advice is to respond with 'She's fluffy' and leave it at that.

AspiePrincess611
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Oct 2020, 2:17 pm

KT67 wrote:
What do people want me to say when they say this?

I tell them the age of my cat.

They say "that's old for a cat".

Do they want to tell me "she's going to die soon"? Or "I don't believe you" (even though they know me & I tell them the year I got her and they should already know that...).

I don't like thinking about how old she is.

Cos that means she will die soon, even though she's relatively healthy.

I don't know a more polite way they could mean this. Or how I'm supposed to reply.

I've had her since I was at school and she was a kitten.

I love cats! We have 5 of them now. I've had cats live as long as 20 years, but like with people it varies. My favorite kitty ever died at 8 years of cancer :(
But I don't think they mean anything bad when they tell you "that's old for a cat". Just an observation.

Cooter, The Dukes of Hazzard

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 2:33 pm

She's 15 going on 16.

She's fit although her health isn't what it was at 6 or 7.

I feel like she was more weak at 12 then she is now. Although it's hard to judge cos she's got less to do now for eg I put her food on the floor (in a bowl obviously) & we always used to put it on the side so the dog didn't get it (again, in a bowl obviously). She couldn't leap onto the side. But she can leap onto my bed etc.

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 4:39 pm

KT67 wrote:
She's 15 going on 16.

15 going on 16 is old for a cat, but that doesn't mean her demise is imminent. My sister had a cat that lived to be 25. So good luck to yours!

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 4:40 pm

I expect that a large part of the general public's sense of cat ages is built around the short lifespans of outdoor cats.
And that is where that exclamation has its root.

Indoor cats can live 2 to 3 times, or more, longer than the average lifespan of outdoor cars.

My 2 orange tabby guys are 12 and 10 years old.
Given that both have health issues they are living much longer as indoor cats than than they would have as outdoor cats.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 4:49 pm

Yeah.

She was an indoor cat for the first 2 years of her life. Cos it wasn't safe.

Then an outdoor cat. But we lived in an area where cars weren't much of a danger compared to most areas cos it was gated & we were at the very end of the neighbourhood.

Now, she basically opts to be an indoor cat who occasionally goes out (via gardens) so she can get fed by other humans :lol: Roads are busier (in normal times) than my old neighbourhood cos it's open rather than gated. But it's still a cul-de-sac and people take a dim view of cars that drive down here with no purpose. And she doesn't like roads - she avoids them and climbs through gardens instead.

Her shaves with death outside are 1 when she was about 2, almost drowning and needing to be rescued and 2 when she was similar age, running away when we were on holiday & the sitter held the door open too long (she was meant to be indoor when we weren't there) & she ran away for a week which scared us but she came home from the woods fatter on rabbits and mice etc.

It's safer to keep cats indoors but try telling that to my stepdad - he refuses to have one of the cats weeing everywhere and the cat refuses to use the litter tray 8O :lol: And he (cat)'s 12 and still won't and never bothered learning.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 4:53 pm

One of my cats passed away when she was 19. You might have at least a few years left to enjoy your kitty, KT.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 5:06 pm

I think more cats are living into their 20's now because of people keeping them indoors and advances in feline medicine. It would make sense since humans on average live longer than they used to (in most developed countries, anyway).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 5:06 pm

^I like the above insight. I think it's true.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 5:35 pm

I had a cat that lived for 20 years.

I think when people say "that's old for a cat" what they really mean is "wow, that's impressive". People like the thought of animals being alive and healthy for as long as possible.

It's a bit like when someone is in their 90s or 100s, people make a big deal out of how old they are, but it's not supposed to be offensive.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 5:40 pm

I agree that it's not supposed to be offensive.

It's meant to show admiration. Joe is right!

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 5:54 pm

I had a cat live to be 20 something. I didn't get her as a kitten, so I never knew her exact age. People used to tell me how she was old, but they did seem to be impressed by it. I agree, they could very well mean it as a compliment of sorts. she was an indoor and outdoor cat, and a skilled huntress. :lol: so skilled, she would bring her mice victims inside just for me. Yay. Thanks. Once she hit about fifteen, she stopped wanting to out so much, and became ruler of the house instead. She was a cool cat. A tiny thing, but real tough and sweet too.

Sorry people are bothering you with her age. Maybe try telling them thanks, but she's not old yet, give her another ten years before calling her old.

KikiKitty678
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Nov 2020, 2:52 pm

That’s hard that people keep telling you that. I’m glad your cat is in good health for her age!