The New Cold War with China and a Cold American Civil War

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

xX0Xx
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Oct 2020, 8:00 pm

With all this ugly distraction about the US Election between candidates Dumb and Dumber, news about this apparent new Cold War with China seems to not get as much attention even when the Chinese are threatening to invade Taiwan and even arrest Americans in their country.

So what are your thoughts on this new cold war with China? Who do you think will win in the end?

I'm betting China ultimately wins.

Also do you believe it is true that America is in a Cold Civil War? I wonder how that is going to work out?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2020, 8:07 pm

No....I don't believe China is going to "beat" us in a "cold war."

No....I don't believe we are in a "cold civil war" now. There has always been protests, and always people battling politically.

xX0Xx
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Oct 2020, 8:13 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Why not? China is an advanced country now, they've managed to join the United Nations despite their long history of human rights abuses that go on to this very day, and most countries aren't willing to stand up to them because they are either too dependent on them for cheap labor and cheap goods or because they fear the consequences of getting on China's bad side.

Face it. China is giving America a run for its money.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2020, 8:14 pm

I believe we would win in a war of attrition, though.

Many other countries also have managed to join the United Nations despite very serious human rights abuses.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2020, 8:16 pm

xX0Xx wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Why not? China is an advanced country now, they've managed to join the United Nations despite their long history of human rights abuses that go on to this very day, and most countries aren't willing to stand up to them because they are either too dependent on them for cheap labor and cheap goods or because they fear the consequences of getting on China's bad side.

So what you are saying is that the USA needs a government that is willing to stand up to China and protect Taiwan, rather than one who would roll over and agree to anything China wants?

xX0Xx
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Oct 2020, 8:17 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Many other countries also have managed to join the United Nations despite very serious human rights abuses.

Yes I'm aware of that, like most recently Russia and Cuba. Which is why I believe the Geneva Convention is nothing but a big joke.

And I still say China could win against us.

xX0Xx
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Oct 2020, 8:18 pm

Brictoria wrote:
xX0Xx wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

So what you are saying is that the USA needs a government that is willing to stand up to China and protect Taiwan, rather than one who would roll over and agree to anything China wants?

One of the only things I actually agree with Trump on.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2020, 8:19 pm

The Geneva Convention is a great document. I wish someone would follow it.....

xX0Xx
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Oct 2020, 8:20 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
The Geneva Convention is a great document. I wish someone would follow it.....

Same here, but you know how corruption is.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2020, 8:52 pm

xX0Xx wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Yes I'm aware of that, like most recently Russia and Cuba. Which is why I believe the Geneva Convention is nothing but a big joke.

And I still say China could win against us.

you're confusing the UN with either NATO, or the EU. The later two have rules about who can join. Rules being essentially passing as a democratic republic that has some respect for human rights.

ANY one can join the UN as long as they function as a soveriegn country. Your ranch in Wyoming probably couldnt join the UN as a nation, but Stalinist Russia was not only a cofounder of the UN it was one of the biggies on the security
council.

The problem with China is that there are two of them. Nationalist China was also a founding member (along with the USSR, the USA, UK, and France- the big victors of WWII). But the communist revolutionaries overthrew them and drove the Nationalist government to Taiwan in 1949. The US tried to maintain the fiction that Taiwan was the real China, but finnally had to bow to reality that Taiwan is now the tail, and that the Communist mainland regime is the dog. So it an issue national soveriegnty, and not human rights, that held up the Mainland regime's entry into the UN.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2020, 9:26 pm

The situation in the US is a bit more psychedelic-without-drugs, some combination of Covid shut-in and everyone getting their news from Google or worse. Tristan Harris's 'The Social Dilemma' couldn't have come out at a more poignant time.

Can't say a lot on Chinese hegemony and what would practical measures could reign it in. I'm not in favor of it, considering the Uyghur camps and considering how well they've transitioned from left-wing to right-wing authoritarianism. It actually makes me wish George Floyd would have been visiting western China rather than in Minneapolis, we'd have had a better alignment of attention and values (also yeah that was ice cold of me but it's true).

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2020, 9:37 pm

Locked upon OP request