Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2020, 9:17 pm

Going to try to keep this as short and relatively private as I can, since I don't want to share too many details online and it involves another party. Also stating a warning to please not PM me trying to swoop in and attempt be the next partner I end up with. I'm not into that at all.

I have been with my SO for almost 4 years - known them longer than that. We have essentially grown up with each other, been through so much, they accepted me for being autistic, and were there for me. I cannot ever thank them enough for the love and kindness they have shown me while I was a horrible person to them. Lately I have had feelings where I feel like I need to step away from the relationship. Because of past mistakes, I feel that I had trapped them into a relationship with me. I am their first partner, first...everything. It makes me feel extremely guilty enough to the point where I think things should end. I do not think I can get over it enough to function properly. The pain I caused them haunts me. Thinking about it makes me vomit. We had a long conversation and asked for a little break while I thought things over. There had been other issues as well, but I don't think they are too relevant. I can explain if someone asks.

I still am very torn. I feel bringing this up out of nowhere and break off a decent relationship is very hard. They still love me very much and I do too, but now I see myself breaking up with them as an act of that love. They can be better off with someone other than me. Someone who will not make the same choices I did. If I do end things, I will be single for the first time in a long time, I will have to move out, I will have to find a job. All that scares me. I don't want to leave a nice relationship.

My head is full of thoughts and I am too numb to think anymore. I hate myself for bringing this upon them. I want to go back to normal, but if I do resume the relationship, things will continue to get worse. I'm scared and I don't know what else to do.

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2020, 10:17 pm

I would like to think there is an outcome where you can remain with your partner and for things to not get worse. I married my first and only girlfriend, still together. Back when we were dating (I was your age), we had some serious issues at the beginning of the relationship. I'm not going to elaborate on what those were, but I almost walked away from the relationship. If I had done that, it would have been the greatest mistake I ever made.

If your partner loves you and accepts you, you should stay with them and work on how you can make it okay with yourself. Just because you think you did/ you did something bad at the beginning of the relationship doesn't mean you should nuke the whole thing. Part of life is accepting imperfection.

Quote:
They can be better off with someone other than me.

I wouldn't hurt them based on what if's. You have each other now if you can make peace with whatever is bothering you.

You mentioned getting a job if you broke up. Couldn't you stay in the relationship and also find a job?

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2020, 10:37 pm

Feyokien wrote:
I would like to think there is an outcome where you can remain with your partner and for things to not get worse. I married my first and only girlfriend, still together. Back when we were dating (I was your age), we had some serious issues at the beginning of the relationship. I'm not going to elaborate on what those were, but I almost walked away from the relationship. If I had done that, it would have been the greatest mistake I ever made.

If your partner loves you and accepts you, you should stay with them and work on how you can make it okay with yourself. Just because you think you did/ you did something bad at the beginning of the relationship doesn't mean you should nuke the whole thing. Part of life is accepting imperfection.

Quote:
They can be better off with someone other than me.

I wouldn't hurt them based on what if's. You have each other now if you can make peace with whatever is bothering you.

You mentioned getting a job if you broke up. Couldn't you stay in the relationship and also find a job?

I don't think it's going to be like that. I am still leaning towards ending things. It really is not good for them to continue being with me after so long.

I am still searching for work, but it' s going to be a lot more up my needs to do so if it's over.

~~~~

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2020, 10:48 pm

honeytoast wrote:
Going to try to keep this as short and relatively private as I can, since I don't want to share too many details online and it involves another party. Also stating a warning to please not PM me trying to swoop in and attempt be the next partner I end up with. I'm not into that at all.

I have been with my SO for almost 4 years - known them longer than that. We have essentially grown up with each other, been through so much, they accepted me for being autistic, and were there for me. I cannot ever thank them enough for the love and kindness they have shown me while I was a horrible person to them. Lately I have had feelings where I feel like I need to step away from the relationship. Because of past mistakes, I feel that I had trapped them into a relationship with me. I am their first partner, first...everything. It makes me feel extremely guilty enough to the point where I think things should end. I do not think I can get over it enough to function properly. The pain I caused them haunts me. Thinking about it makes me vomit. We had a long conversation and asked for a little break while I thought things over. There had been other issues as well, but I don't think they are too relevant. I can explain if someone asks.

I still am very torn. I feel bringing this up out of nowhere and break off a decent relationship is very hard. They still love me very much and I do too, but now I see myself breaking up with them as an act of that love. They can be better off with someone other than me. Someone who will not make the same choices I did. If I do end things, I will be single for the first time in a long time, I will have to move out, I will have to find a job. All that scares me. I don't want to leave a nice relationship.

My head is full of thoughts and I am too numb to think anymore. I hate myself for bringing this upon them. I want to go back to normal, but if I do resume the relationship, things will continue to get worse. I'm scared and I don't know what else to do.

Based on what you have said, I can only say: "Don't".

Don't end the relationship because you imagine something is going to happen.

It sounds to me that you are looking for an escape.
If that is true, do end the relationship.

Yes, Fey, I *meant* the relationship should end if she doesn't want to be in it. :mrgreen:

Last edited by Pepe on 23 Oct 2020, 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

malavois
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Oct 2020, 10:49 pm

I agree completely with Feyioken. If your partner wants to be with you, they are probably making that decision while fully aware of who you are. They are allowed to make that decision for themself.

Not only that, but things continuing to get worse is not necessarily a foregone conclusion. I am very emotionally reactive and have done and said many, many hurtful and destructive things, to others and to myself. In the beginning of 2020 my relationship seemed doomed. However, in April I started a behavioral therapy group and it’s like a different world. Don’t give up!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2020, 10:54 pm

It seems to me like you’re making a choice for the other person.

Suppose the other person wants to be with you—warts and all?

The onus is on you. Do you want to be with this person—or do you not?

I don’t like somebody breaking up with me like that.....and it has happened to me. That person thought she knew what was good for me. She didn’t!

Sorry for being so blunt.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 23 Oct 2020, 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2020, 10:55 pm

honeytoast wrote:
I don't think it's going to be like that. I am still leaning towards ending things. It really is not good for them to continue being with me after so long.

I understand. Have they forgiven you for this thing that you have done or is it a point of friction for both of you? (you did something horrible? and first relationship)

honeytoast wrote:
I am still searching for work, but it' s going to be a lot more up my needs to do so if it's over

Finding adequate work can be a real tricky thing sometimes, especially work that pays enough for you to live independently without a roommate or being forced to move back in with parents.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2020, 11:42 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I don’t like somebody breaking up with me like that.....and it has happened to me. That person thought she knew what was good for me. She didn’t!

I totally agree.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2020, 11:43 pm

malavois wrote:
I agree completely with Feyioken. If your partner wants to be with you, they are probably making that decision while fully aware of who you are. They are allowed to make that decision for themself.

Not only that, but things continuing to get worse is not necessarily a foregone conclusion. I am very emotionally reactive and have done and said many, many hurtful and destructive things, to others and to myself. In the beginning of 2020 my relationship seemed doomed. However, in April I started a behavioral therapy group and it’s like a different world. Don’t give up!

I totally agree.

Thank god this thread isn't in The Haven.
That forum "creeps" me out. 8O

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2020, 12:53 am

Feyokien wrote:
honeytoast wrote:

I understand. Have they forgiven you for this thing that you have done or is it a point of friction for both of you? (you did something horrible? and first relationship)

honeytoast wrote:
I am still searching for work, but it' s going to be a lot more up my needs to do so if it's over

Finding adequate work can be a real tricky thing sometimes, especially work that pays enough for you to live independently without a roommate or being forced to move back in with parents.

They had forgiven me, but the pain is still there. Fear too. I just feel like I don't deserve them at all and they're going to be much happier with someone else. At the same time if I stay, they will be happy, but I won't be. It's all confusing and I don't know what to do. I'm scared

~~~~

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2020, 12:54 am

Pepe wrote:
honeytoast wrote:

Yes, Fey, I *meant* the relationship should end if she doesn't want to be in it. :mrgreen:

Maybe you are right, old skunk. I hate hurting others and it ends up with me hurting myself because of what I caused. I feel like it's better to not do it at all and to keep it in.

~~~~

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2020, 12:57 am

malavois wrote:

Thank you for your words. I've been meaning to start therapy but I cannot afford to do so at the time, even though I really need it. I will still try to look into programs that can help. It might be hard with the current circumstances. As for the relationship, you are right. They are making the decision. I just feel like a monster for my choice. Whatever the choice is.

~~~~

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2020, 12:59 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

Bluntness is what makes us, us, right? lol.

Telling me your perspective is interesting, as this may be what my SO may experience. It gives me more insight to what my decision is. I am just flipflopping over who am I going to make happy - them or I? And I always see myself as second, so I don't know.

~~~~

malavois
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Oct 2020, 1:12 am

honeytoast wrote:
malavois wrote:

Thank you for your words. I've been meaning to start therapy but I cannot afford to do so at the time, even though I really need it. I will still try to look into programs that can help. It might be hard with the current circumstances. As for the relationship, you are right. They are making the decision. I just feel like a monster for my choice. Whatever the choice is.

Learning to forgive yourself is the hardest and most important part. I’m sorry that therapy isn’t possible for you right now. It’s not hopeless though. You are loved!

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2020, 1:18 am

honeytoast wrote:
Pepe wrote:
honeytoast wrote:

Maybe you are right, old skunk. I hate hurting others and it ends up with me hurting myself because of what I caused. I feel like it's better to not do it at all and to keep it in.

I wish you could overcome your uneasiness.
Your partner will be devastated if you leave.
But you can't stay in a relationship where you are unhappy.
I am assuming you still love him and the reason you are hesitating *isn't* simply because you don't want to hurt his feelings?

Do you love him?
If so, stay.
If you don't, go.
As simple as that, in my mind.

You will get every support from your boyfriend.
If he can forgive you, why can't you forgive yourself?
We are all fallible human beings.
No one is perfect, not even me. 8)

atataxia
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Oct 2020, 1:31 am

The Postal Service -
The District Sleeps Alone

Learn the lyrics. Listen to them until you understand what they mean. Then make your choice.

Punched a hole in the moon