Getting teased about sweaters in winter—in a nice way

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

KikiKitty678
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Oct 2020, 11:40 am

I’ve gotten teased about my love of sweaters, in a cute, nice way. They’re warm, they’re cozy, but the “cool” thing to do is to take your coat off and then what you wear underneath is the same is in spring or fall. I won’t be cool then. It gets cold indoors too!

Any other sweater wearers? Has anyone teased you?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Oct 2020, 11:42 am

No one ever teased me for wearing sweaters and of course I wear the same set of sweaters in all relevant seasons 8O

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

KikiKitty678
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Oct 2020, 12:03 pm

magz wrote:
No one ever teased me for wearing sweaters and of course I wear the same set of sweaters in all relevant seasons 8O

Lol maybe it’s an American thing. Has to do with the bizarre attitude that liking cold weather and getting out in it, and not wearing too many winter clothes is a good thing.

I have friends who only wear vests, T-shirt, and jeans, in winter. No full coats, no layers, no boots and just tennis shoes . They do it to look cool I think.

Guys are even worse about it. They wear shorts and short sleeves!

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Oct 2020, 12:05 pm

I suspect you're not in Minnesota ;)

KikiKitty678
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Oct 2020, 12:10 pm

magz wrote:
I suspect you're not in Minnesota ;)

No lol. Missouri.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Oct 2020, 12:16 pm

Quote:
Winters in Missouri can be long with temperatures ranging from mildly to bitterly cold. Kansas City's January daily mean temperature is 26 °F (−3 °C) and St. Louis's is 29 °F (−2 °C). The coldest temperature ever recorded in Missouri was −40 °F (−40 °C), set at Warsaw on 13 February 1905. Winter also tends to be the driest season, but typically yields significant amounts of winter precipitation. Snowfall averages 20 inches (51 cm) in the state's northern region, and 10 inches (25 cm) in the southeast. During the winter, northwest winds prevail; the air movement is largely from the south and southeast during the rest of the year.[20]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Missouri

Sounds like a weird fad not to wear a coat.

KikiKitty678
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Oct 2020, 12:18 pm

magz wrote:
Quote:
Winters in Missouri can be long with temperatures ranging from mildly to bitterly cold. Kansas City's January daily mean temperature is 26 °F (−3 °C) and St. Louis's is 29 °F (−2 °C). The coldest temperature ever recorded in Missouri was −40 °F (−40 °C), set at Warsaw on 13 February 1905. Winter also tends to be the driest season, but typically yields significant amounts of winter precipitation. Snowfall averages 20 inches (51 cm) in the state's northern region, and 10 inches (25 cm) in the southeast. During the winter, northwest winds prevail; the air movement is largely from the south and southeast during the rest of the year.[20]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Missouri

Sounds like a weird fad not to wear a coat.

I know. :lol: That’s because no one goes outside. They don’t leave their cars for more than a few minutes.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Oct 2020, 12:27 pm

KikiKitty678 wrote:
I know. :lol: That’s because no one goes outside. They don’t leave their cars for more than a few minutes.

I see. I rather walk, bike and use public transport, so I definitely prefer my clothing comfortable and adequate to the weather. But European cities are organized a bit differently from American ones, from what I know, much more usable without a car.

When I just e.g. go out with the trash, I can wear a T-shirt and sandals in the winter because I won't have enough time to get cold. I even developed a technique of walking in deep snow in flip flops :D

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2020, 4:57 am

I don't really like sweaters because of the texture, but I did wear them to be fashionable when I was in my twenties. I prefer hoodies, especially since my head is always cold because I can pull the hood up. Also hoodies have a better shape/fit the body in a more flattering way. Sweaters tend to be kind of bulky and hang off the body somewhat even if they aren't large.

Seems like it's probably easier for cold air to get in between sweater stitches than the stitching of other clothing.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2020, 5:41 am

Missouri is not exactly Arizona in the winter.

If it’s in the 40s (single-digit Celsius), I might be okay with a sweater/hoodie. But below that, I need a heavy coat.

I know sweaters are called “jumpers” in the UK and Ireland. How about in other countries?

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Nov 2020, 10:48 am

I tend to be very hot during winter. I remember stores being colder during the season when I was a kid, but I sweat in the 71°+ that most stores are kept at nowadays. I've been known to wear cropped pants & tank tops under my winter coat (assuming I bother with a coat)! I'd love it to be cold enough! What happened to 68°-?

KikiKitty678 wrote:
It gets cold indoors too!

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2020, 12:44 pm

Yes people have made similar comments to me. I'm not sure it's just an American thing because I recall similar remarks in Ireland. Though in businesses there they keep it really hot, so in those environments I'd take layers off more quickly. But in people's houses it's usually colder.

I chalk it up to being an intrusive thing that basic people, who have nothing else better to do, say. :shrug:

Cavycat
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Dec 2020, 6:38 pm

I've been teased about this in other parts of the year, but I am a regular sweater wearer and hypersensitive to cold. I thought it was normal to wear your sweater under your coat, but some people just wear a tee under their coats and put the sweater on once indoors.