Did you have any heroes who helped you grow up?

Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Did you have any heroes who helped you grow up?
Yes, mostly musical heroes 9%  9%  [ 5 ]
Yes, mostly TV and movie heroes 12%  12%  [ 7 ]
Yes, mostly literary heroes 12%  12%  [ 7 ]
Yes, mostly family members 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Yes, mostly teachers 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Yes, mostly others 14%  14%  [ 8 ]
No 40%  40%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 58

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2020, 1:06 pm

The Autistic Guitarist has recently talked about how Eddie Van Halen saved his life when he was young.
Do you have any similar stories from your own experiences?
Who were your heroes while you were growing up as young autistic teenagers?
How did those heroes help you cope with being autistic?

http://www.autscape.org/

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2020, 1:12 pm

I got nothing.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2020, 2:32 pm

There was a sixth form prefect who was wonderful to me for the first two years of secondary school. I would have been lost without her. Her name is Sandra Abraham. I do not know what happened to her

Miss Rosmary James who was a retired school teacher. Oh how I miss her! What a wonderful lady!

My Grandad. :)

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2020, 4:16 pm

Plenty of people "helped" me

None of them were heroes

Everything helps, hurts, both or neither

You can't measure the quality of your life

Anyone could correctly claim anything helped them

Smoke and mirrors

Usually they act like they dragged my worthless corpse out of a burning building

When all they did was do their job or flap their beak

Mussolini was helping the gestapo

"Helping" is not always a good thing

And when they claim too much compensation, financially or morally

Then it's like extortion

And ought to be illegal

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2020, 4:59 pm

No heroes.  No one came to my defense, so I learned to run fast and hit hard all on my own.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2020, 5:15 pm

Not heroes, but loads of people have done or said this or that, and I've been impressed, and tried to emulate their behaviour, with some success, and as a result it could be said that I grew up to some extent. When I was younger I was a lot more prone to having heroes, individuals whose persons I revered enough to call heroes, but I - well - grew up. Time was when I thoroughly admired John Lennon, but now, to me he's just a musician who wrote and recorded some music I really like, he had a lot of interesting ideas about people, art and politics, but he could also behave like a first-class jerk, so he lost his hero status with me. It no longer makes sense to me to imagine that there's any person out there who is so absolutely admirable as a person - so I take the more objective route of just appreciating certain bits of the behaviour of certain people.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2020, 5:18 pm

Some more heroes on here like Juliette, Milktalk, Jakki and the many others on here who I love!

Spunge42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Oct 2020, 11:33 pm

I'd say my favorite authors. Not necessarily as who they were but because of what they could create. I couldn't picture things in my head when someone described something for years. I couldn't just image something new on my own. I was fascinated by the stories they could weave and world building accomplished by them. It was like a puzzle I needed to solve to understand and in time fell in love with most genres of literature.

When I was overwhelmed I would retreat into my books and go on fantastical adventures that made all the noise and hurt just disappear. Even during class, when it would become to much, I'd pick up my book ( I always had one in my bag wherever I went). I got away with this in school because I made straight A's and always turned my assignments in on time. So the teachers just let me be and mostly the other students did too.

So to name a few of my literary heroes: Jules Verne, Wilkie Collins, Harlan Ellison, Conan Doyle, Oda Eiichiro, Henry James (yes, I love Henry James and I don't care who makes fun of me for it 8O ), Ranpo Edogawa, Jane Austen, Alexandre Dumas, Franz Kafka...

"I sat with my anger long enough, until she told me her real name was grief."

traven
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 12:27 am

books, books, books
teachers
father (who got more untrustworthy by every year)
and i suspect Paula from Daktari as well

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 1:38 am

I've never fully understood what "hero" means in this context. What I learned as a kid is that a hero is someone who literally saves someone else, like pulling someone out of a building that's on fire.

Since I've never been very impressed with other people, however, I'm sure I've never had a "hero."

Wait, I just looked up the word in an online dictionary:

Quote:
noun A person noted for special achievement in a particular field: synonym: celebrity.

Is that what you mean OP?

traven
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 2:42 am

starkid wrote:
I've never fully understood what "hero" means in this context. What I learned as a kid is that a hero is someone who literally saves someone else, like pulling someone out of a building that's on fire.

Since I've never been very impressed with other people, however, I'm sure I've never had a "hero."

Wait, I just looked up the word in an online dictionary:

Quote:
noun A person noted for special achievement in a particular field: synonym: celebrity.

Is that what you mean OP?

ah the american hero,
i'd reduced it to the more common rolemodel, or inspirational figure

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 3:12 am

Wayne Gretzky. He was a great hockey player. A legend in his own time.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 3:20 am

This is a question where I just keep coming up blank. Been happening for multiple decades.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 7:24 pm

My NT sister and I did not had a masculine figure to guide us through our adolescent years.

Our dad passed days after my NT sister and I celebrated our birthdays.

My NT sister was 15 and I was 12.

In fact, our dad passed the day after I turned 12.

When word got out at my school, a trio of bullies saw it as an opportunity to continue making my MS years more of a nightmare. Shortly after, two teachers decided to join in believing I was making it all up.

This in turn caused me to keep his passing a secret until my senior year of high school.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2020, 4:21 am

No

Heroes are in part a person who has to put themselves in danger or at least put in extraordinary effort to help others. As a kid I just did not understand how much effort and risk are involved in being heroic. I always knew those cartoon characters were fiction.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2020, 10:28 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
No

Heroes are in part a person who has to put themselves in danger or at least put in extraordinary effort to help others. As a kid I just did not understand how much effort and risk are involved in being heroic. I always knew those cartoon characters were fiction.

Right, a lot of fictional characters are given powers and slices of luck that would never happen in real life. And what we get told about real-life "influencers" is usually shot through with fiction. Some of the isolated ideas conveyed might be useful, but it's not very rational to imagine the entire person is a complete and utter fountain of good example. I guess it's some kind of an evolutionary thing from the days when group survival depended on converging around a leader, if such days ever really existed, or a stubborn relic of the feelings we tend to have as infants that our caregivers are superhuman and dedicated to keeping us safe and happy and our way of developing was mostly about trying to copy their behaviour. Whatever the cause, the mainstream is heavily into it.