Say "NO" to autistic meltdown videos and should we ban?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Aspie With Attitude
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Oct 2020, 5:25 am

I had recently uploaded a video discussing why there should be bans on parents who are raising autistic children to film them having meltdowns then to be shared on social media. I feel that it takes away their privacy and also attracts the wrong attention towards ablest cowards who think these overwhelming situations are actually funny when they're not.

I had also made like an Instagram poster for those who are over sensitive seeing my special effects in my video contents. Since I love animating, this would be very hard for me to back down from this.

I also make fantasy test card animation and mix my own music.

Please follow this link to subscribe to my YouTube Channel "Aspie With Attitude" --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL2iDI ... Hb4eeYlodQ

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 7:57 am

I feel, for some people, you are right. There are "ableist jerks" around.

On the other side of the coin: watching an autistic meltdown can be educational, and lead to a greater understanding of the difficulties experienced by autistic folks.

I don't tend to comprehend what is said to me as well as I comprehend what I see.

If I "see" a meltdown, I have a better idea about the overall effects of meltdowns. Just talking about them, without a visual "corroboration," doesn't bring me to a similar level of understanding.

I do feel there is potential for exploitation when it comes to these sorts of videos---and, perhaps, the intent was exploitative. However, I do find that seeing things, rather than just being told things, teaches me more.

Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 8:38 am

I would question whether or not the child knows they are being filmed.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 8:43 am

I agree. Parents should not be posting YouTube videos of their autistic kids having meltdowns. There are ableist cowards out there and it only gives Autism Speaks fuel for their fire.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 8:57 am

Context is the key here. Of course if some parent is putting on Facebook their kid having a meltdown for entertainment to say look at this. Then that is bad.

However the public need to be educated at the same time.

Why do so many want to cover up the negative aspects of autism so much?

To non autistic bystanders a meltdown can look disturbing like the child is being abused or miss treated, causing vigilante like confrontations with parents and carers.

Is that what you want?

Does that help anyone?

Big crowds of people gathered round in the street to look and intervene, lots of shouting, Police and social workers called.

Parents can’t cope with all the stress and accusations and decide not to take the kid out anymore or put their kid in care.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- George Bernie Shaw

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 6:34 pm

Disgusting. We have completely gone the wrong way with kids in this regard. Your child is a person who either did not consent or who often is not qualified to consent. Your child is not a tool to push your agenda be it autism "awareness" or a political cause. All you do by pushing the "mamma bear" button is to disarm your opponents by emotion("How can you be against that adorable kid?") not by the merit of your cause.

And most importantly stuff remains on the net forever meaning at best you will cause your kid embarrassment if and when the child is old enough to understand or at worst put a permanent target on your offspring.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2020, 2:33 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Disgusting. We have completely gone the wrong way with kids in this regard. Your child is a person who either did not consent or who often is not qualified to consent. Your child is not a tool to push your agenda be it autism "awareness" or a political cause. All you do by pushing the "mamma bear" button is to disarm your opponents by emotion("How can you be against that adorable kid?") not by the merit of your cause.

And most importantly stuff remains on the net forever meaning at best you will cause your kid embarrassment if and when the child is old enough to understand or at worst put a permanent target on your offspring.

Like I say putting videos up for entertainment purposes is bad but if the public isn’t educated on what a child meltdown is then that will cause all sorts of problems for the child and parents.

Taking the child out would end up being too much hassle and the kid would loose out.

- George Bernie Shaw

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2020, 3:10 pm

How would you ban them? Ask YouTube to remove videos of meltdowns?

Leahcar
Toucan
Toucan

28 Oct 2020, 6:55 am

I myself hate videos of autistic meltdowns - as people having them are at their most vulnerable in this stage making videos of them seems very exploitative to me, especially as they may not be able to consent to being put online.

Banning them may be difficult, though. I am aware that meltdown videos are usually not uploaded with bad intentions (though they may attract bad attention!) I can see why they are uploaded - some parents of autistic people think that by uploading meltdown videos, they are simply spreading awareness of how autism can manifest and affect someone. But I don't think it's the right thing.