Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Have you ever studied more than one foreign language at a time?
Yes 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No but I want to 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 5

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 2:31 pm

Are you in it?

This is a community of people (mostly men, it seems) who have learned or are studying multiple foreign languages as adults (they don't focus on natively speaking more than one language). Some of them study multiple languages simultaneously.

It seems like it's mostly an online community, but some of them seem very interested in travel. They have blogs on which they review lots of books, software, etc. for learning foreign languages and give studying tips.

Here is one example: https://www.fluentin3months.com/

This guy claims to speak "Spanish, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Esperanto, Mandarin Chinese, American Sign Language, Dutch, Irish." He claims to be fluent in 7 languages. I don't believe that at all. And the name of his website, promoting the idea of fluency in just 3 months, is ridiculous.

Because I study multiple languages, I often come across these polyglots online, and there is something sleazy about their blogs; the way they write suggests that they are trying to sell people something (that is too good to be true), but it's not easy to see what they are selling by just quickly looking over the blogs. The guy I linked above has an email sign-up list, and I have no idea how he benefits from that, but it's suspicious to me.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 3:36 pm

French and Latin and with it,a little later, Spanish. First set of ECT ,during 1st psych admission, laid waste to all but a few crumbs of the knowledge I had.