Does any autistic person here like to read drama?

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2021, 8:37 am

I don’t really like “drama” all that much.

I like history much better than historical fiction.

Raised By Wolves
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Dec 2021, 9:28 am

Joe90 wrote:
I love drama. I find it more interesting than any other genre, except maybe horror. I so badly want to write a series of drama stories but I have trouble thinking up a plot or storyline that isn't copied from an existing drama series.

I love mundane things. I don't like fantasy much. If a book or a movie goes too far-fetched from reality I just cannot watch/read it. My NT boyfriend hates drama and prefers watching boring things like James Bond or Star Trek. Boooorring!! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

if you want to write I wouldn't worry about the copying bit, everybody does it, Shakespeare never wrote his own plots,
just make adjustments here and there and if it's written in your own voice nobody will notice and even if they do they won't be bothered anyway

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2021, 3:53 pm

That's right.

Shakespeare was acknowledged as the playwright of all the plays which he wrote----even though basically all of them were adaptations of previous scripts. People didn't really "start from scratch" in those days. In fact, it might be said that this was frowned upon---especially since it was acknowledged by most that God had paramount influence over authors.

And then there is the notion that everything is derived from SOMEWHERE.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2021, 4:52 pm

execfn wrote:
I find drama helps me in my struggle to understand neurotypical thinking, relating and behaviour.
Especially Shakespeare: though it takes a lot of work to unravel the threads of relationship, it is worth the effort for the insight it gives me, and for the emotional rewards ( which may be "negative", cathartic, in the case of tragedies).
Sharing dramas also helps me connect with neurotypicals in my life who have difficulty in understanding and being patient with my "annoying neurodiversities":
Yesterday my wife chose to watch one of my favoutrite plays - the tragedy King Lear by Shakespeare - with me. She was witness to my being moved to tears at many points in the story. This is evidence more eloquent and effective than verbal assurances that I DO have empathy, love and sensitivity towards others to a high degree (despite apearances at other times).

King Lear is my favourite Shakespeare play. :heart:

Joe:
Thomas Hardy's Mayor of Casterbridge was very Shakespearean. Lots of authors use his structure.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2021, 8:07 pm

I've never been into Shakespeare. I prefer TV soaps or drama-type movies or TV series.

I find dramas so interesting and enjoyable. My NT boyfriend hates dramas. Has anyone here seen The Breakfast Club? Not sure if it's a drama or not but I love that movie, simply because it involves a lot of emotion and sitting around talking about mundane stuff, which my boyfriend thought was very uninteresting.

To me, TV characters standing around talking about their feelings and relationships is a lot more interesting than marvel stuff that so many men (especially autistic men) love. Those movies make me dizzy. They lack emotion. One time my boyfriend had some sort of battle movie on and a man said to a woman that they were going to cut her head off, but she just gave a fearless and flat reply (can't remember what it was) with no emotion involved at all - because it was that sort of movie. If it were a drama where a woman was threatened of having her head cut off, she'd most likely be really frightened or something.

Marvel stuff. Boring!! !

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2021, 11:29 pm

The Breakfast Club is certainly a drama. A good movie, but not something I’d want to watch every day.

Sitting around talking about “feelings”—I’ve better things to do.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2021, 11:58 pm

I prefer poetry and nonfiction, especially literary biographies, criticism, or philosophy.

Within the genre of fiction I like 18th-19th Century psychological realism. I'm interested in the books' narrative structures, their descriptive passages, and the authors' insights about human nature. I usually read biographies of the author afterward and I cross-reference these ideas throughout social history.

I'm a bit of a book nerd but yeah.

Drama to me means "Dramatic Literature" which technically means plays. I used to read a lot of plays but now it's mostly biographies.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2022, 6:54 pm

To best answer this question, I usually dislike drama which is popular amongst NTs. Once in awhile, a Drama story piques my interest.

'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood' is an example. I had seen the movie, read the book of the same name, and selectively viewed the movie again - a rather interesting experience. The book seemed like that novel mix of fiction, and non-fiction (the book, and movie are fiction). The book, and movie alike have been mentioned as examples of Postmodernism.

Another factor was that I had lived in suburban Los Angels at the time of this movie - twenty miuntes from the Spahn Ranch were the Manson gang lived.

Having very little interest in the Hollywood scene, the news-media in the few years through the mid 1970s sometimes covered those things portrayed in both the movie/book 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood' - hence, a time when sensationalism in the news became an increasing presense.

Personally, I only remember driving by some of the locations in the movie,anmd taking Universal Studio tours -again, with so much of the infamous aspects of the Hollywood scene removed from our minds!

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2022, 8:14 pm

Definitely. It's similar with TV series and films. It's unusual for me to muster up the enthusiasm to read a full-length book that isn't mostly a story about people and their emotional interactions, though I don't mind a certain amount of logic. I was very different when I was a child. Then it was mostly cowboys and indians, hi-tech vehicles, time machines, dinosaurs, robots, weird planets and aliens. I guess at some point I got it through my head that I was lonely without people and I started taking a big interest in social things.

The number of characters has to be quite small for best results though, or I get hopelessly lost, though one time when I was getting thus overwhelmed I mapped out all the characters on paper with names and relationships, returned to the book and began to really enjoy it.

I don't much like reading plays though. They may be well-written masterpieces, but they're basically just scripts for actors to add the colour to, so I'd rather see the actual play, if I can keep up with it, and even when I can't it's usually worth going just for the light show and the theatre atmosphere, especially if it's done well.

vividgroovy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Nov 2022, 1:24 am

Ever since I got my cell phone, I'm always watching videos. Or posting on forums, LOL. I want to get back to reading books at some point.

When I did read, I read a lot of books that were just about people. I can get invested if it's well-written and has interesting, distinctive characters. Humor helps a lot, too.

My favorite novel is "Watership Down," which is about rabbits and has a mystical/fantastical element to it. And a lot of dry British humor that I like, most of which did not make it into the very dark film version.

I've always liked escapism. Lately, it seems people online think of escapism much more in terms of how it comments on real life issues than for it's own sake. I.e., "I like 'Star Wars,' but only because it's a very serious and important commentary on the Vietnam War." I see that kind of thing constantly. I'm probably actually more interested in personal drama between characters than those people are.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2022, 1:51 pm

vividgroovy wrote:
My favorite novel is "Watership Down," which is about rabbits and has a mystical/fantastical element to it. And a lot of dry British humor that I like, most of which did not make it into the very dark film version.

Loved that book.

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2022, 2:36 pm

I get all the social drama I need on this forum.

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.