Carrying plush animal in public as a child vs as an adult

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2020, 3:20 pm

I run around with a Rocket Raccoon stuffed animal backpack and anyone that says anything is always positive about it. "That's so cute!" I used to take my elderly Timon plushie places with me at 20. People had something negative to say, I had a come back something along the lines of "He's much better company than judgmental pricks like you." If someone did say anything it was about how cute he was so I never had to use comebacks.

But as a child, if I brought a stuffed animal (even a small one) to school, it was always a big deal to the teachers. Even if I just sat it on my lap as I listened to the teacher talk and did my school work. I had an IEP for my little Timon plush that was my comfort item but most of the time he just chilled in my pocket or my backpack. Still, teachers hated that. I had a school bus driver threaten to take them away and never give them back. He even stopped the bus for quite a while in an effort to make me give in and hand it over. I don't think so dude. You just told me I wouldn't get it back so what makes me think I'm going to hand it over. Eventually, you are going to have to take everyone home so you can't sit here forever. When my parents found out what had happened, I told them as soon as I got off the bus...in tears. Both of them blew a gasket but dad was ready to beat the man up or something. We only lived about half a mile from the school bus driver and my mom had to watch my dad more than me because she was worried she was going to go down there, beat him up and get arrested or something. My dad had quite the temper and anger problems, but you don't mess with the daughter of a US Marine like that and expect to get away with it so easily.

People always told me that as an adult, I wouldn't be able to bring stuffed animals in public with me. No big deal, when I was an adult I simply brought REAL animals with me. I took my bearded dragon everywhere and even got a service animal letter from my psychiatrist for her. The law for service animals was different back in the early 2010's and it was such a small town, I never had to show it. I became known as "the girl with the lizard". More people knew my bearded dragon on first name basis than they did me. "How is Pippin today?" Pippin really helped my social anxiety but that's another story. But no one gives me crap about my Rocket Racoon backpack or the few times I took my elderly Timon plushie to the fabric and grocery store...no one gave me a stink about it. As a child, it was as if bringing a stuffed animal in public was akin to contraband. Adulthood is nothing like I expected. I LOVE being an adult more than I ever liked being a child.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2020, 7:40 pm

Using threats to force a young child to give up their toy (comfort item) is very wrong even to an NT child and it can emotionally traumatise the child. Why did the bus-driver so badly want you to hand in your comfort item? Was it interfering with his job? No. A small child holding a toy is not illegal nor is it harming or offending anyone.

When I was 4 I took my teddy bear to school because he was a comfort item (he still is but he lives in mine and my boyfriend's bed). Other children took toys to school too. We even had a "Teddy Day" every year when we were aged 3-6, where everyone comes to school in their own clothes and brings a teddy and we'd all have a teddy bears picnic and other fun games. Good days.

Sadly carrying a teddy about as an older child or an adult is considered socially unacceptable. Nice people will compliment the teddy to be polite. But if I turned up for work tomorrow with my beloved teddy tucked under my arm, I don't think I will be socially accepted any more, as everyone at my work are guys and would probably be honest with me (take the piss of course).

Elderly people, especially those with dementia, can take a teddy out with them and it be socially acceptable. I remember when I took my grandmother to the hospital for an appointment, she was in a wheelchair and had Alzheimer's, and the nurses at her care home actually asked her if she wanted to take a soft toy with her to the hospital. She said yes and she chose her favourite soft toy. Having a soft toy or a doll is actually good for people with Alzheimer's and can help them to not get stressed when confused. Like autistics, people with Alzheimer's can experience sensory overload.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2020, 7:52 pm

Joe90 wrote:

Sadly carrying a teddy about as an older child or an adult is considered socially unacceptable. Nice people will compliment the teddy to be polite. But if I turned up for work tomorrow with my beloved teddy tucked under my arm, I don't think I will be socially accepted any more, as everyone at my work are guys and would probably be honest with me (take the piss of course).

Yeah, that's the way around I expected too.

It's sad that people judge harmless fun like that.

It's why my toys stay home.

My mum takes her toys out with her but her toys are ones she made herself. She poses them in 'appropriate' settings like an orangutan on a tree and a seagull on a rock at the beach.

GameCube
Raven
Raven

29 Oct 2020, 11:07 pm

I like stuffed animals too, but sadly they are all in storage right now. I used to carry them to school and other places when I was child too and had incidents when they were taken away. I stopped carrying them around when I couldn't take the judgements from others anymore.

As an adult I would carry a stuffed animal around if I was at an anime convention or something like that, but it's been almost a decade since I been to one. If it were more socially acceptable or if it came back as some kind of fad I would probably try to pull off an old plushie backpack or something like that.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2020, 11:15 pm

For the past couple years I’ve been very attached to a stuffed tiger shark I got at the Shedd Aquarium, and I always bring her to any events that are likely to be stressful, as a comfort object. I actually get negative comments more often when I have my service dog than I do when I have Lilia (the shark), I was very surprised.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2020, 11:54 pm

Y'all are lucky to be female.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2020, 7:23 am

MagicMeerkat wrote:
I run around with a Rocket Raccoon stuffed animal backpack and anyone that says anything is always positive about it. "That's so cute!" I used to take my elderly Timon plushie places with me at 20. People had something negative to say, I had a come back something along the lines of "He's much better company than judgmental pricks like you." If someone did say anything it was about how cute he was so I never had to use comebacks.

But as a child, if I brought a stuffed animal (even a small one) to school, it was always a big deal to the teachers. Even if I just sat it on my lap as I listened to the teacher talk and did my school work. I had an IEP for my little Timon plush that was my comfort item but most of the time he just chilled in my pocket or my backpack. Still, teachers hated that. I had a school bus driver threaten to take them away and never give them back. He even stopped the bus for quite a while in an effort to make me give in and hand it over. I don't think so dude. You just told me I wouldn't get it back so what makes me think I'm going to hand it over. Eventually, you are going to have to take everyone home so you can't sit here forever. When my parents found out what had happened, I told them as soon as I got off the bus...in tears. Both of them blew a gasket but dad was ready to beat the man up or something. We only lived about half a mile from the school bus driver and my mom had to watch my dad more than me because she was worried she was going to go down there, beat him up and get arrested or something. My dad had quite the temper and anger problems, but you don't mess with the daughter of a US Marine like that and expect to get away with it so easily.

People always told me that as an adult, I wouldn't be able to bring stuffed animals in public with me. No big deal, when I was an adult I simply brought REAL animals with me. I took my bearded dragon everywhere and even got a service animal letter from my psychiatrist for her. The law for service animals was different back in the early 2010's and it was such a small town, I never had to show it. I became known as "the girl with the lizard". More people knew my bearded dragon on first name basis than they did me. "How is Pippin today?" Pippin really helped my social anxiety but that's another story. But no one gives me crap about my Rocket Racoon backpack or the few times I took my elderly Timon plushie to the fabric and grocery store...no one gave me a stink about it. As a child, it was as if bringing a stuffed animal in public was akin to contraband. Adulthood is nothing like I expected. I LOVE being an adult more than I ever liked being a child.

It has become increasingly less socially acceptable as i grew older to do this but. I mean no one really says anything to me about it. I mean people certainly give me looks. No one has really talked about it. That being said people are lot more accepting of service animals than plushies. People definitely judge me for it.

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2020, 7:40 pm

Hmmmm would say I kinda got lost in your post. But I've got to admit having a bearded dragon is pretty awesome. Beats lots of other options for anxiety I would think.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2020, 9:59 pm

Dear_one wrote:
Y'all are lucky to be female.

I've never gotten flack for bringing Noire with me. Last I checked I'm still a boy. :mrgreen:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Spunge42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Oct 2020, 10:24 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:

I became known as "the girl with the lizard". More people knew my bearded dragon on first name basis than they did me. "How is Pippin today?" Pippin really helped my social anxiety but that's another story.

Haha. Me too! Appa my fluffy great pyreenes/ german shepherd mix has more friends than I do. I walk into places I frequent a lot and people always say hi Appa. If for some reason I leave him at home people come up and ask where Appa is. Most of em don't know my name. Lol. Its fine though because I love him too, no one can resist the fluff. And he has helped me be able to talk to people more easily.

About the stuffed animal being socially accepted at work. My dad got my mom the best gift. Its called a warmies. Its a stuffed animal that you heat in the microwave and use like a heating pad. They got me one after seeing how awesome it was. Then my bro wanted one. Now my bro is a state trooper he totally takes to office when he has a headache or shoulders are stiff, heats it up and puts it on his neck. Other people tried to steal it 8O . So I say buy one and claim its for stiff shoulders or cold hands and others will be jealous and go buy one too. Start a trend. Its worked where I live, I know a bunch of people who have them now! I'm like dad you're awesome, you just made it socially acceptable to bring a stuff animal everywhere.

Here's the Amazon link
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00278UQN4/re ... 7PXB?psc=1

"I sat with my anger long enough, until she told me her real name was grief."

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2020, 3:54 am

Bringing a stuffed animal that is a heating pad for physical comfort is probably socially acceptable because of its purpose. Bringing to work an ordinary stuffed animal for emotional comfort is considered babyish and people will laugh.

I remember when I was about 8 or 9 my mum would no longer let me take my teddy bear out with me. She said I was getting too big to cart my teddy about. But she did let me take one of my South Park plushies out with me. I suppose different toys have different social standards.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2020, 4:10 am

I had a girl friend who never went anywhere without a large purse. Her comfort items included books and souvenirs, but she could have been hauling plush without attracting attention. Some people have bags for their live pets, who know to hide until their human indicates that the coast is clear.

hariboci
Raven
Raven

31 Oct 2020, 10:41 am

I'm 45 and I have smaller and bigger plush toys. There is one that hangs on the side of my purse. It looks like an accessory. Thankfully nobody ever said anything bad about him, but you can add some other fluffy fur/fake fur balls next to it, so it would look trendy.

Or if you have a bigger purse, a larger plushie could fit in and you can sneak peek or bring it to the restroom to hug time :)

hariboci
Raven
Raven

31 Oct 2020, 10:43 am

Oh I actually had a plush toy in the office in my thirties, but I worked with younger boys and they liked to throw it around as it was a ball. :( I had to threaten them.
I guess it depends on the culture and the age of your co-workers how they would handle it.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2020, 2:16 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Bringing a stuffed animal that is a heating pad for physical comfort is probably socially acceptable because of its purpose. Bringing to work an ordinary stuffed animal for emotional comfort is considered babyish and people will laugh.

I remember when I was about 8 or 9 my mum would no longer let me take my teddy bear out with me. She said I was getting too big to cart my teddy about. But she did let me take one of my South Park plushies out with me. I suppose different toys have different social standards.

This is a fair point I think that a lot of the taboo nature isn't nesicarly in the object itself but the motive. Using a heating pad that happens to double as a stuffed animal is different from carrying one around that is there for emotional support. I think service animals also apply but not as wholly. Service animals can be used for a variety of different reasons and Also service animals are living beings so people won't have empathy (not really the right word but idk what else to call it) towards the stuffed animal..
Dear_one wrote:
I had a girl friend who never went anywhere without a large purse. Her comfort items included books and souvenirs, but she could have been hauling plush without attracting attention. Some people have bags for their live pets, who know to hide until their human indicates that the coast is clear.

[color=#0077cc]This is true. But you could put smaller stuffed animals in your pockets as well. I think the title "carrying a plush in public" means more that you are carrying it physically. Carrying a bag with a plushie in it isn't really the same thing. I'd also like to point out that if they don't notice it is it really public. No, It's not.

hariboci wrote:
I'm 45 and I have smaller and bigger plush toys. There is one that hangs on the side of my purse. It looks like an accessory. Thankfully nobody ever said anything bad about him, but you can add some other fluffy fur/fake fur balls next to it, so it would look trendy.

Or if you have a bigger purse, a larger plushie could fit in and you can sneak peek or bring it to the restroom to hug time :)

Lots of people have things like that on their backpack. I'd also like to point out it's not really carrying it. It's alot more unusual fr someone who's 45 to be carrying around a stuffed animal than for one to be on a bag. Also the purse thing isn't really an option for men because it'd be socially unacceptable for men to have purses. I'd also like to point out that i've carried around a plushie for years and no one has said anything negative. People don't often confront you about things. But staring yes they do that quite a lot.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2020, 2:19 pm

It's a good thing I have dolls and stuffed animals small enough to hide in my purse or a bag.