Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2020, 7:46 am

We have just gone through another semiannual tradition called Daylight Savings time. And I hate it. For many years my state Indiana exempted themselves from this chaos. But about a decade ago it decided to join this madness.

DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME DIDN'T SAVE ME ANYTHING!

Now twice per year, I have to go around the house and reset all the clocks and make sure I didn't miss any of them. Or heaven's forbid, I might loose track of the proper time.

Fortunately many of the clocks will self correct automatically. That is true from the phones, my digital watch, the computers. But it still means that I have to reset the microwave clock and the oven clock. And most importantly the clock in my room. I had an atomic clock that should have self adjusted but it didn't because I live out in the country and the signal is too weak and also because my house has a metal roof the deflects radio signals. A couple years ago, when my old clock died, I purchased a better atomic clock by La Crosse Technology called the Ultratomic clock. It was supposedly better because it contained two receivers. And low and behold, this clock actually does work.

Source for cartoon: Cartoons About Daylight Saving Time

Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2020, 7:52 am

I hate it too. Each year I hope it gets abolished.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2020, 8:03 am

The only good thing about it is the "extra" hour sleep when clocks reset when it ends...Outside of that, I haven't found any benefit to it.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2020, 8:04 pm

Although the effort is increasing in my home state of Oregon,
I don't think the state government will get rid of DST.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2020, 9:41 pm

my phone's clock got reset automatically. i forgot about daylight savings time. too busy worrying about $$, work, getting made redundant, "friends" that don't answer the e-mail or hang out with me, itching, diarrhea, senility, squatters next door, whatever.

and then went to safeway. its clock was still on the previous time. so i panicked when i saw it. thought i was late to class. was going to take the bus instead of walk.

and now it gets dark at 6pm in november.

in december it gets dark 5pm.

how inconvenient.

some days i have to work til 5pm. there's no sidewalk near the job. a bunch of run down trailer homes. so have to walk in the street. too dangerous. in the dark. too much riffraff.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2020, 1:21 am

if only california had gotten fully on board, i might have been spared yesterday's ritual.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2020, 3:43 pm

It always happens on a Sunday here. My old band used to rehearse on Sundays, so twice a year there'd be a rehearsal where various band members and the rehearsal room guys would have 3 different ideas about what time it was supposed to be... making it only slightly more shambolic than our normal rehearsals.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2021, 6:47 am

Well Its that time of year again - Daylight Savings Time

Now half of my clocks in the house are incorrect and I am searching for equipment instruction manuals to figure out how to reset them.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2021, 6:50 am

i'm glad i have an atomic clock that resets automatically [at least when the batteries are fresh and reception conditions [from transmitter in boulder CO] are optimal.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2021, 6:55 am

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2021, 11:10 am

At this time in my life it makes little difference but when they tried year round daylight saving time in ‘74 it was dangerous for us students crossing busy intersections to get to school by 8AM when it was still dark out. Most teenagers are not morning people as it is.

With all due respect to people that live near the poles dawn at 3:30AM and sunrise at 4:30 as would happen here in June with year round standard time is just not right.

If it was up to me I would make it more seasonal cool to cold weather standard time, mild to hot weather saving time. I would have standard time mid October to mid April. Another proposal is to tie it to the equinoxes six months for each.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2021, 5:27 pm

The clock on my phone resets automatically and (unfortunately to those who hate DST) an effort has begun to make sure DST will always happen nationwide.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2021, 5:31 pm

I absolutely loathe it. It's the worst time of year for me.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2021, 5:56 pm

I don't mind Daylight saving but it does drag on, we get it from the beginning of october until the end of march its far too long by then.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2021, 6:01 pm

Beyond the fact I have severe sensory issues with sunlight, I find that it feels "artificial" the entire duration. It just feels fake. Evenings are supposed to be dark, so we can relax after a day of work or school. I envy the people who lived before electricity, when night time was dark and people lived by firelight. It's better for our Circadian rhythm, too.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2021, 6:07 pm

you could always try and live off the grid?
I know, difficult one to realise.

there are some places in the world where you could try and realise it
well at least after the coronavirus is over
if they allow us to move freely after that

or perhaps they will embedded microchips under our skin
so they can track us where ever we go
(that is what some people think the coronavirus vaccine is all about.... lol)