Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

BlackSky
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Nov 2020, 12:04 pm

What was your degree? And what´s your job?

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2020, 5:37 pm

I have a Biology degree, but only ever managed to get hired for two part-time janitor positions (despite applying for more than fifty jobs, most of which were the kind of crappy jobs that “anyone” (except me, apparently) can get). Neither had a proper interview (I had a preliminary interview for a different job but was promptly pre-liminated because my tremor made me look far more nervous than I actually was, I told the interviewer that I have a tremor but he was still hung up on it for the entire interview), and the first place was so desperate for employees that my manager asked me several times if I knew anyone else who would like a part-time job and was asking me every week to fill in extra slots that were empty.

I am no longer seeking a biology-related job, I’m satisfied with having pets at home and have long since realized that nobody will choose me over basically anybody else despite having a college degree (probably because I really don’t have anything else at all going for me, and my grades in college weren’t that great anyway), so I have to take what I can get and am capable of performing.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2020, 8:27 pm

bachelor, cognitive science

associates, accounting

finished the first half of a bachelor in structural engineering

jobs:

data entry clerk
recordkeeping associate
tax preparer
actor
communications contractor
maintenance engineering intern
commercial real estate intern
lot attendant (current)
sign spinner (offered and not taken)
dietary aide (offered, taken, and schedule did not work out)

none of the jobs i had required a high school diploma, much less a bachelor or associate.

"beggars can't be choosers"

no matter how many job skills i get, someone with a better personality will always get the job.

that is not :evil: discrimination:twisted:

thus far, there is no such thing as :ninja: myers briggs discrimination :mrgreen:

it is just :evil: survival of the fittest :twisted:

neurotypical extroverts are more survival of the fittest than autistic misanthropic introvert

:D inherent to the system 8O

every situation is different

something that is an advantage in one situation, is a disadvantage in a different situation.

however, autism is classified by officially by the diagnostic statistical manual as a :skull: disability:nerdy: , for a correct, justified reason, that makes sense.

many states are "at will" employer.

they can hire anyone they want.

almost zero jobs have demographic quota.

they can make anyone redundant for any reason, as long as it is not illegal. and even if it is illegal, the petitioner needs to win a civil lawsuit. the verdict is not always correct. a court case is just a competition of resources. the company gets a more expensive lawyer.

equal employment opportunity commission 2012

my worthless corpse born 1983

almost every job that ever hired me, made my worthless corpse redundant.

it is not a level playing field.

it is not a two way street.

graceful degradation

waiting for the other shoe to drop

"sideways stories from wayside school"

Historynerd21
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Sep 2021, 3:00 pm

HS Regents Diploma
Town Parks Service Playground Assistant

First degree: Office Management and Associates AAS
In addition to Computer Applications for the Office
Jobs held: concession stand food runner
retail store general store associate
auto supply parts associate

Second degree: History and Social Science Education
In addition to Hospitality Administration and Tourism
Jobs held: pretty much the same

After College Life:
Automotive dealership maintenance technician
Banquet server
Retail store general support associate
Human service agency training receptionist
Automotive collision center detailer/imaging consultant

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 10:49 pm

I am a oil tycoon, CEO, with a associates, a bachelors in liberal arts, a Masters of Divinity and two doctorates in religion.I am a also a financial planner and preacher and landman and entrepreneur and social media manager and i also work in enertainment industry in television and intentional Christian community organizer and church planter

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2021, 12:47 am

(Delete doesn’t work on my phone)

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 5:37 pm

Don't have a degree but some more minor university qualifications and it's official now. The manager put my job title as "Semi skilled fabricator"....literally when doing my annual employee satisfaction scoring (whatever that is). Nobody in work knew what the hell I was for the last 8 years. I just sort of showed up one day and never left.

As for self employed work I do on the side, I seem to be ploughing more and more hours into property "development". Basically trying to stop houses my from leaking, exploding and tenants complaining.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 6:28 pm

arriva bus driver

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2021, 9:54 am

I have a doctorate in synthetic chemistry (with a research specialization in nanomaterial design). My regular job is as a university professor (non-tenure track) and I also manage an NMR facility for the university. It is not as glamorous as it would seem. I do a lot to grunt work that gets dumped on me by the other tenured faculty members in my department. There is no job security in my position, as it has to be renewed each year.

While I enjoy teaching my undergraduate students, I am looking at transitioning out of education and into industry. Higher education is so full of politics that I am constantly pulling my hair out almost every day at work. I have never met so many pathetically petty people in my life.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2021, 10:03 am

Computer Science
Retired

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 3:38 pm

Associates degree in Computer Science.
All around assistant.

At least that's how it is before the pandemic.
Regardless how well I did, I'm still playing catch up at 26.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 2:12 am

I have a bachelor's in journalism, but I have only been able to find freelance work in the field. In the meantime I have been working jobs as a package handler at FedEx and as a grocery store cashier. I decided about a year ago to give myself a second chance and go back to school for a different degree, this time in social work. I have yet to work any job relating to social work, but I am supposed to begin an internship in the field next semester, which I am excited for. :D

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 10:44 am

Descartes wrote:
I have a bachelor's in journalism, but I have only been able to find freelance work in the field. In the meantime I have been working jobs as a package handler at FedEx and as a grocery store cashier. I decided about a year ago to give myself a second chance and go back to school for a different degree, this time in social work. I have yet to work any job relating to social work, but I am supposed to begin an internship in the field next semester, which I am excited for. :D

-=-CONGRATULATIONS!-=-
-=-
CONGRATULATIONS!-=-
-=-CONGRATULATIONS!-=-

Success is never guaranteed, but is much more likely if you keep working toward your goals. Keep going toward your goals, and good luck!

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 4:43 pm

Double Retired wrote:
Descartes wrote:

-=-CONGRATULATIONS!-=-
-=-
CONGRATULATIONS!-=-
-=-CONGRATULATIONS!-=-

Success is never guaranteed, but is much more likely if you keep working toward your goals. Keep going toward your goals, and good luck!

Thank you, sir! :D

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 2:55 pm

Two bachelor's degrees (history and philosophy), working in a cheesecake factory (a literal factory, not the restaurant). Hoping to go to grad school in a few years.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2022, 7:39 am

Bachelor’s in Speech Pathology and English, 2006.

Been a data entry operator for 42 years, 41 of them for New York City.

Part-time volunteer Subway Wolfman.