02 Nov 2020, 6:04 pm

Hey, anyone ever read about a celebrity of a kid from a celebrity family
faking that they have ASD, so that they can cash in on the publicity
and get sympathy from people around them

but also so they can cash in on intellectual and creative copy write works
(including conversations etc) of their victims with ASD, who they have
chosen to steal from and ruin....

Hmmm. sound family to anyone?
just out of interest. not a cyber lily stalker of evidence...

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2020, 3:59 am

Nope...
would you care to enlighten us?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2020, 4:02 am

When Asperger's becomes cool

Quote:
In an interview with The New York Times, the musician Moby talked about how he was a purist when it came to tea, preferring it untainted by milk or sugar. "It might be a function of Asperger's," he said.

"You have Asperger's?" asked the interviewer.

"No," Moby said. "I just like to pretend I do. It makes me sound more interesting."

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2020, 4:27 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
When Asperger's becomes cool
Quote:
In an interview with The New York Times, the musician Moby talked about how he was a purist when it came to tea, preferring it untainted by milk or sugar. "It might be a function of Asperger's," he said.

"You have Asperger's?" asked the interviewer.

"No," Moby said. "I just like to pretend I do. It makes me sound more interesting."

Wouldn't it be ironic if he was undiagnosed this whole time? :mrgreen:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2020, 4:55 am

Yeah. I was just thinking, maybe he does actually have it, but finds it more amusing to say he's pretending.
Which would make him doubly pretentious, I guess.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2020, 8:11 am

Aspergers is not THAT cool...trust me.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2020, 8:41 am

These comments are usually made in ignorance of what autism is.

They probably believe it’s some form of minor social awkwardness.

I suppose some may use it as an excuse because they lack general confidence, they want others to give them some slack so automatically jump on the autism bandwagon for sympathy

- George Bernie Shaw

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2020, 11:13 am

Funny, the attention I usually get from my diagnosis is negative. Anyone who pretends to be on the autism spectrum ought to have to spend a day, or even just an hour, actually being so, and not being mild enough for it to not be obvious.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2020, 1:45 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
Funny, the attention I usually get from my diagnosis is negative. Anyone who pretends to be on the autism spectrum ought to have to spend a day, or even just an hour, actually being so, and not being mild enough for it to not be obvious.

It is a bit more complicated than that. I spent 54 years not knowing I was autistic. Yet, it was causing me significant problems. When I suggested it to someone that I was autistic, it was flat out rejected.

But I agree that only the movie is autism "cute." And certainly the popular impression of being "a little bit autistic" is not a help.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2020, 2:04 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
Funny, the attention I usually get from my diagnosis is negative...
Ahh ... but if you are a famous person with lots of talent, abundant wealth, and many adoring fans, then you too may claim any developmental, emotional, mental, or perceptive disorder and receive all kinds of positive attention.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2020, 3:22 pm

Jiheisho wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:

It is a bit more complicated than that. I spent 54 years not knowing I was autistic. Yet, it was causing me significant problems. When I suggested it to someone that I was autistic, it was flat out rejected.

But I agree that only the movie is autism "cute." And certainly the popular impression of being "a little bit autistic" is not a help.

I didn’t mean to imply that it isn’t difficult to have autism that isn’t obvious, sorry if it came across that way. I just wonder how cool they’d think it was when just about everyone they meet treats them like they’re children and/or significantly intellectually impaired (not meaning to imply that there’s anything wrong with actually being so, mind) because it’s obvious at a glance that they have a developmental disorder of some kind.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2020, 3:24 pm

Fnord wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:
Ahh ... but if you are a famous person with lots of talent, abundant wealth, and many adoring fans, then you too may claim any developmental, emotional, mental, or perceptive disorder and receive all kinds of positive attention.

Ah, yes, I forgot that if one meets those qualifications, absolutely everything about one becomes “cool” or otherwise positive in some way.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2020, 3:52 pm

Never met one. Never known one.

But then... I've been surrounded by people who do not have the same level of awareness and knowledge.

Therefore, a much less likely attempt...
Unless they really, really want to be a butt of a joke -- fame and power, sob story and tragic, etc. No exceptions -- just with a specific label attached to it.

Then the idea of standing out is taken differently here, depending on the audience.
Going special snowflake here isn't as hyped as elsewhere. :twisted:

So from my point of view, the idea of having a fake label just to make someone seem interesting is more ridiculous than it is already been described as such. :lol:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2020, 5:26 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
Fnord wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:
Ah, yes, I forgot that if one meets those qualifications, absolutely everything about one becomes “cool” or otherwise positive in some way.
Edna3362 wrote:
... from my point of view, the idea of having a fake label just to make someone seem interesting is more ridiculous than it is already been described as such.
Oscar Wilde wrote:
There is only one thing worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.
Various people wrote:
All publicity is good publicity.

Thus goes the celebrity mantra.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.