Page 12 of 17 [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 4:42 pm

This is the most unusual member of the guitar family I own. It's a timple (2 syllables)- a tiny five-stringed instrument from the Canary Islands. I got it for £4.50 in a charity shop in Yorkshire. The back is curved like a camel's hump. It's tuned GCEAD, with the G and the C both high. The shape of the body and headstock remind me a lot of pictures of the very earliest guitars, some of which had 5 pairs of strings.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 8:04 pm

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
This is the most unusual member of the guitar family I own. It's a timple (2 syllables)- a tiny five-stringed instrument from the Canary Islands. I got it for £4.50 in a charity shop in Yorkshire. The back is curved like a camel's hump. It's tuned GCEAD, with the G and the C both high. The shape of the body and headstock remind me a lot of pictures of the very earliest guitars, some of which had 5 pairs of strings.

can you tell me which other instrument it is most similar to in its playing [fingering chords and such]?

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 12:26 pm

^It's like a soprano ukelele, but with the G string tuned up an octave, and an extra D string. The D string is the only difference to the fingering. It doesn't have such a wide variety of easy chords as the uke, as it's hard to avoid hitting the D.

MJS7101
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Nov 2021, 9:17 pm

I guess I'll join the WP guitar players guild! I have a Schecter 7 string, an ESP 7 string, a Yamaha acoustic, and a 6 string Ibanez bass. I play metal and some folk music. My favorite genres are atmospheric black metal, melodic death metal, and pagan/folk metal. I also have a solo black metal project called Ktaadn which you can find on YouTube if you want.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 9:20 pm

What's your recording setup like? :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2021, 2:14 am

i found these babies are HARD TO FIND on this side of the pond, as rare as hen's teeth.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 6:23 pm

I've never tried a seven-string. I think I've only seen one in real life once!

(One of my friends played a five-string bass in a band where there was also a five-string viola. I kept thinking the guitarist ought to remove a string to fit in.)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 6:49 pm

I wouldn't mind selling my 7 string and getting a baritone. I find the neck too wide to be comfortable to play so it mostly just sits in it's case.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 7:15 pm

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
(One of my friends played a five-string bass in a band where there was also a five-string viola. I kept thinking the guitarist ought to remove a string to fit in.)

Some friends and I used to have an acoustic cover band, and one of them had a five-string bass that I would often use...I usually just used that extra string as a thumb rest.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 7:19 pm

Does anyone here play sitar?

I have a beautiful handmade one here. I don't play at all.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 7:42 pm

^^^have you considered making it a task for yourself to learn how to play it? you may find it is rewarding. :dj:

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 4:07 pm

:)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 4:19 pm

^ :lol:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

SikTh
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Nov 2021, 4:33 pm

I think there must be some small creature that lives in my house and eats my picks.

Excited to see a guitar forum. I try and play metal and rock. At the moment learning some stuff by Nevermore. And also some grade pieces from Rockschool.

What kinds of things are you all playing?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 5:03 pm

SikTh wrote:
I think there must be some small creature that lives in my house and eats my picks.

Excited to see a guitar forum. I try and play metal and rock. At the moment learning some stuff by Nevermore. And also some grade pieces from Rockschool.

What kinds of things are you all playing?

I play grind and crust, mostly I play to write songs and riffs.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

SikTh
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Nov 2021, 5:27 pm

Funeralxempire I don’t know much about grind and crust. I’ve learned a few riffs from a carcass song and listen to carcass a lot. I quite like Vallenfyre and Strigoi but these are the closest I know to Crust.

Impressed you write your own stuff. I am focusing on learning to play but I have noodled about with guitar pro and pre Sonus a bit.