Page 10 of 16 [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 5:38 pm

blazingstar wrote:
^ In one of my first posts on WP, I asked that question, or my version of it. Something like, is it worth while to be plucking away at something that you are never going to be good at. Trogludite provided an elegant answer which I can't duplicate, but more or less, the answer is Yes. And I have been plucking away at the banjo. I'm never going to be good, but as Phosophorus says, I am good enough to play backup to my voice and I enjoy it, so why not. No one is ever going to hear it or criticize me for it. I even got my piano uncovered and tuned and am plunking away on it as well. Play on, AB, play on! :D

ok, since you said it, i will play on :dj:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 12:33 pm

Practise the first riff in this song for a few minutes everyday if you want to improve how tight your palm muting is. :mrgreen:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 6:50 pm

blazingstar wrote:
^ In one of my first posts on WP, I asked that question, or my version of it. Something like, is it worth while to be plucking away at something that you are never going to be good at. Trogludite provided an elegant answer which I can't duplicate, but more or less, the answer is Yes.

And I have been plucking away at the banjo. I'm never going to be good, but as Phosophorus says, I am good enough to play backup to my voice and I enjoy it, so why not. No one is ever going to hear it or criticize me for it.

I even got my piano uncovered and tuned and am plunking away on it as well.

Play on, AB, play on! :D

I've been playing classical piano for 36 years, but I still can't reliably get through most piano pieces without them falling apart on me. However much I practice, the fingers randomly trip over each other after a minute or two. I have to treat it as a way of privately enjoying the music, rather than a performance...

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 6:52 pm

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
However much I practice, the fingers randomly trip over each other after a minute or two. I have to treat it as a way of privately enjoying the music, rather than a performance...

Oh dear god, this.
My fingers are wrong fret seeking missiles after a few dozen seconds playing.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 8:17 pm

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
blazingstar wrote:
^ In one of my first posts on WP, I asked that question, or my version of it. Something like, is it worth while to be plucking away at something that you are never going to be good at. Trogludite provided an elegant answer which I can't duplicate, but more or less, the answer is Yes.

And I have been plucking away at the banjo. I'm never going to be good, but as Phosophorus says, I am good enough to play backup to my voice and I enjoy it, so why not. No one is ever going to hear it or criticize me for it.

I've been playing classical piano for 36 years, but I still can't reliably get through most piano pieces without them falling apart on me. However much I practice, the fingers randomly trip over each other after a minute or two. I have to treat it as a way of privately enjoying the music, rather than a performance...

Me too! Even the simplest pieces that I have played all my life I can’t get through without mistakes! That’s all I’ll say due to this thread being about guitar picking.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 10:29 pm

blazingstar wrote:
PhosphorusDecree wrote:
blazingstar wrote:

Me too! Even the simplest pieces that I have played all my life I can’t get through without mistakes! That’s all I’ll say due to this thread being about guitar picking.

IMHO the banjo is like a countrified alto guitar, so go ahead and post por favor :)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 10:39 pm

blazingstar wrote:
PhosphorusDecree wrote:
blazingstar wrote:

You've still got a neck with frets right? It's close enough.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 8:54 am

Thank you AB and funeral. I have never been so welcomed in a music environment. :heart:

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 1:12 pm

The 6 year old Lacie, blind and autistic.
Wonderfull to see the joy and happines in this child :heart:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 6:19 am

blazingstar wrote:
Thank you AB and funeral. I have never been so welcomed in a music environment. :heart:

i thought your banjo pickin' was pretty good :dj:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 6:23 am

Erewhon wrote:

:cry:

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 6:25 am

auntblabby wrote:
Erewhon wrote:

:cry:

This swells my heart and almost makes me cry. It is why I do the work I do. Thank you for posting Erewhon.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 6:28 am

auntblabby wrote:
blazingstar wrote:

It took many "takes" to get one where I didn't mess up my fingers. And you know that verse where I hum all the way through? That is because I forgot the words. :D :D :D But I wasn't going to give up the one where the fingers got in the right places. :D

But thank you. :heart:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 6:43 am

blazingstar wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
blazingstar wrote:

It took many "takes" to get one where I didn't mess up my fingers. And you know that verse where I hum all the way through? That is because I forgot the words. :D :D :D But I wasn't going to give up the one where the fingers got in the right places. :D

But thank you. :heart:

just so you know, even recording studios have to make allowances for a performer who got the pickin' right but the words wrong, in fact that whole thing drove development of modern multitrack recording technology to allow musicians to have the best of all worlds by combining the best parts of multiple takes into one perfect track. if you listen carefully to certain Beatles recordings you can hear mistakes also, most often lennon reciting the wrong lyric or george playing the wrong chord much to lennon's annoyance [they didn't get along]. many elvis tracks used the best bits of multiple takes to make one perfect track.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 9:10 pm

blazingstar wrote:
And you know that verse where I hum all the way through? That is because I forgot the words. :D :D :D

I always keep the lyrics in front of me. I don't care how well I think I know a song, I know I'll manage to screw something up in the middle of a recording, especially the longer songs.

auntblabby wrote:
if you listen carefully to certain Beatles recordings you can hear mistakes also, most often lennon reciting the wrong lyric or george playing the wrong chord much to lennon's annoyance [they didn't get along].

I never noticed until I played The Beatles Rock Band, but now it really bothers me that, when they came back from the first bridge in Ticket to Ride, Ringo forgot how the verse drum beat went.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 9:33 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
blazingstar wrote:
And you know that verse where I hum all the way through? That is because I forgot the words. :D :D :D

I always keep the lyrics in front of me. I don't care how well I think I know a song, I know I'll manage to screw something up in the middle of a recording, especially the longer songs.

auntblabby wrote:
if you listen carefully to certain Beatles recordings you can hear mistakes also, most often lennon reciting the wrong lyric or george playing the wrong chord much to lennon's annoyance [they didn't get along].

I never noticed until I played The Beatles Rock Band, but now it really bothers me that, when they came back from the first bridge in Ticket to Ride, Ringo forgot how the verse drum beat went.

but if you were to be a first-time listener of TtR, would you have thought that ringo's goof was musically bad-sounding? or just different?