Page 7 of 16 [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 16  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 1:33 am

when i have more di$po$able duckie$ i would really like to get a parlor model classical guitar, they are relatively easy to play, i found out from playing a family friend's model.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 3:26 am

In the video i 'play' the song Anji.
Not the song Angie from the Rolling Stones, but the instrumental Anji from Paul Simon.

Even better than the 'real thing' ( Bono U2 ) 8) :wink:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 3:59 pm

Juliette wrote:
Latest Guitar Purchase ... Vintage Cherry Sunburst Alden Resonator

Dont know how it sounds.

But it sure LOOKS awesome!

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 10:16 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Dont know how it sounds.

They sound...very resonant =) They almost have a banjo sound to them.

(IIRC, Pepper plays an acoustic Dobro resonator on this track)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 10:30 pm

Does anyone have a favourite amp, or a favourite guitar tone?

Personally, I really like old Crate and Ampeg solid-states, the GX/VH/SS series of amps as made famous on loads of older death metal, slam and grindcore albums.

I also really like the Marshall 8100 and related amps, which were also common on a lot of older death metal albums, along with bigger albums by bands like Prong, White Zombie and Static X.

I'm also pretty fond of the Peavey VTM, as used by His Hero Is Gone on their album Monuments To Thieves. Soundgarden used them for awhile as well.

Soldano SLOs sound killer, I've never played through a real one but I really like my clone.

I just found an article with Kerry King talking about his amp and amp settings...

Quote:
King: My mids are around 8, treble is probably around 6 or 7, bass is between 4 and 6-depending on the venue because every stage makes it sound different. I'm going to guess presence is around 7, the preamp is probably around 8 or 9

That's basically how my JCM800 model is setup. I knew I was on to something. :lol:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2021, 4:28 pm

Guitar amps and tone controls confuse the hell out of me, which is one reason I stuck with acoustic. On the bass guitar, it's simpler- there's a narrower range of sounds you can achieve, and it's easier to find them. In my old band, I used to turn the mid way down, bass and treble up- it gave the sound a crisp attack and deep boom without being too heavy, which worked well for the up-tempo post-punk style we were playing. Felt like I was playing in octaves!

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2021, 12:18 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Does anyone have a favourite amp, or a favourite guitar tone?

For bass, it's definitely Ampeg, though I was also looking at Sun or Acoustic. But my Kustom sounds great too.

Guitar, I don't remember...I think I was looking for a Fender Princeton, but just happened to find the Ultimate Chorus at a guitar shop and really liked it. Coincidentally, one time I ended up playing the same show as the previous owner, and he recognized it sitting out back, with the cover still on it. Small world.
I really wanted a Silverface amp, just because I liked the look...either a Reverb or a Twin. The Twin is pretty awesome, IIRC the Grateful Dead used them, but you have to crank them REALLY loud to get that trademark distortion out of them.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 4:50 am

anybody else here dig parlour-model guitars?

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 11:31 pm

I'd love to get another parlour...my Harmony, technically I think it's just a 3/4 size guitar, not a parlour...but another guitar that size would be awesome.

A concert guitar isn't super necessary, anyway...if you're playing on a stage, you're going to have a microphone and/or pickup amplifying the sound.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 11:36 pm

my niece's hubby demonstrated to me a recent acquisition from a curiosity shop, of a japanese model parlour guitar [forgot the name] which played strikingly easily in my clumsy hands, i almost sounded competent on it. i determined to find something similar and ended up with a Cordoba Mini II M parlour guitar with an extra-wide string spacing for my sausage fingers, and just enough [nylon and coil] string tension to avoid buzzing. it is the smallest such tenor guitar with standard E2E tuning.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 8:12 am

auntblabby wrote:
my niece's hubby demonstrated to me a recent acquisition from a curiosity shop, of a japanese model parlour guitar [forgot the name] which played strikingly easily in my clumsy hands, i almost sounded competent on it. i determined to find something similar and ended up with a Cordoba Mini II M parlour guitar with an extra-wide string spacing for my sausage fingers, and just enough [nylon and coil] string tension to avoid buzzing. it is the smallest such tenor guitar with standard E2E tuning.

I definitely think a fretboard that suits your hands is important! Most of my instruments I chose because they felt good to play. I really struggle with how closely spaced the strings are on some guitars. I am incapable of just stopping one string on a Stratocaster.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 8:28 am

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I definitely think a fretboard that suits your hands is important! Most of my instruments I chose because they felt good to play. I really struggle with how closely spaced the strings are on some guitars. I am incapable of just stopping one string on a Stratocaster.

Same. The best guitar I've ever played is a Ibanez ORM because the neck is wide like an SG, with frets like an SG and a profile like an SG, but even shorter like a Mustang. And it's slim D profile that would make Hagstroms jealous.

Sadly I never finished putting an EMG81 in it so I need to get on that or pay someone to do it for me.

I could almost play competently at one point on it. :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 4:06 am

How not to make an electric guitar :) :!:

How to restore a acoustic guitar, before it was restored it did look a bit to the guitar from Willie Nelson.

Around minute 13 he is painting the guitar near a kitchen garden :?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 7:30 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Dont know how it sounds.

They sound...very resonant =) They almost have a banjo sound to them.

(IIRC, Pepper plays an acoustic Dobro resonator on this track)

Sounds awesome too! :D

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 10:55 am

Found something out about the Ampeg and Crate amps I'm always fanboiing on.

After years of hearing conflicting details I was able to find hard evidence they're voiced differently.

Crate:
low 25db @ 80 Hz
mid 19db @ 900 Hz
high 23db @ 5kHz

Ampeg:
low 11db @ 100 Hz
mid 18db @ 1kHz
high 8db @ 3.5kHz

So basically the Crate is a little bit darker with much more powerful EQ controls than the Ampeg. Luckily for me, I own both.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2021, 4:34 am

Tony Drake, a blind and autistic person.
100% pure, very beautifull :!: