Page 13 of 16 [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 5:33 pm

SikTh wrote:
Funeralxempire I don’t know much about grind and crust. I’ve learned a few riffs from a carcass song and listen to carcass a lot. I quite like Vallenfyre and Strigoi but these are the closest I know to Crust.

Impressed you write your own stuff. I am focusing on learning to play but I have noodled about with guitar pro and pre Sonus a bit.

Discharge is kinda like the ur-example of crust.

I don't have the patience to sit and practice technical stuff but I can usually sit down and come up with more riffs than I know what to do with.

I'll have to check out Vallenfyre and Strigoi some more. Kill All Your Masters has that HM-2 guitar tone.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2021, 9:33 am

Erewhon wrote:
:)

They make like, pick punchers, so you can punch pics out of old credit cards, etc.
I can't imagine how useful they are, I've tried making a pic out of an old gift card before, and it was pretty rubbish.
...and if you were having a real pick emergency, I can't imagine you'd just happen to have a pick punch with you...

Ha ha, that reminds me, I had a pick emergency at a show once, and we had a couple songs that I just couldn't do fingerstyle on bass, so I used one of those little keychain cards.

SikTh
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Nov 2021, 6:57 pm

Read the other day that picks were originally tortoise shell - tortex was the first to make them from plastic. Not sure if true.

Kerch
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 4:10 am

Always wanted to play guitar but never had the guts to try.

My social worker wanted me to take up something to bring me among people (ugh) and because I don't care much for sports, now considering guitar lessons.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 4:14 am

Kerch wrote:

My social worker wanted me to take up something to bring me among people (ugh) and because I don't care much for sports, now considering guitar lessons.

you can do it! :dj: start with a classical model, its lower-tension and softer nylon strings and wider neck/string spacing will give your hands and fingers an easier time starting out. also consider a parlour model, they are smaller and easier to set in your lap. :idea: concentrate on the "cowboy chords" first, those will get you a long way with many songs. the goal in this stage is not only to be able to form chords but also move from one chord to another, that is the tallest immediate task in learning to play guitar.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 6:22 am

SikTh wrote:
Read the other day that picks were originally tortoise shell - tortex was the first to make them from plastic. Not sure if true.

Maybe the first plastic pics? I'm sure they must have had metal pics/plectrums, or some other material before then.

I'm sure Wikipedia knows :)

Fender picks are still made of tortoise style plastic, I really like them.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 8:29 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
SikTh wrote:

Maybe the first plastic pics? I'm sure they must have had metal pics/plectrums, or some other material before then.

I'm sure Wikipedia knows :)

Fender picks are still made of tortoise style plastic, I really like them.

I have some of those. Don't use 'em much, but they look pretty. The Fount of All Knowledge mentions wood, metal, felt, celluloid, turtle shell, horn, ivory and coconut shell as older materials for plectrums for various instruments. I then ventured further down the rabbit hole to learn that-

The Biwa, a Japanese lute, was traditionally played by blind monks while they recited stories. Nice parallel with the old blind bluesmen.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 3:26 pm

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
I have some of those. Don't use 'em much, but they look pretty.

I've gone through a lot of different picks, and I've kind of settled on the Fenders for electric guitar.
The heavy ones, I think? Maybe medium, I'm not sure. I haven't broken a single one yet.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 7:19 pm

Kerch wrote:

There are lots of free lessons on you tube. If you’re at all musically inclined, it can bring joy to private moments. If you like bluegrass (I don’t) they have large groups of people playing together. Group music.

When I see or sense the tight connection between or among some musicians, it is something I would like.

I can relate to not having the guts to try….even alone in my own home I am somehow afraid to try new things.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 7:41 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
PhosphorusDecree wrote:
I have some of those. Don't use 'em much, but they look pretty.

I've gone through a lot of different picks, and I've kind of settled on the Fenders for electric guitar.
The heavy ones, I think? Maybe medium, I'm not sure. I haven't broken a single one yet.

I just never got the hang of picking on guitar- I only use them on bass. Picks for which range from "heavy" to "phone book."

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2021, 7:28 am

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
I just never got the hang of picking on guitar- I only use them on bass. Picks for which range from "heavy" to "phone book."

I played with my thumb for a long time when I first learned (acoustic) guitar, but when I got an electric, I started picking almost everything.
Now I use Jim Dunlop nylon picks when I pick acoustic....60mm for strumming, and .88mm for picking solos.

I usually play bass fingerstyle (and flatwound strings), but I was in one band for a short period where most of the songs really worked better with roundwound strings and a pick. I use Clayton triangle picks:

Pretty sure mine are 1mm, but they're older, so the design is a little different.

Kerch
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2022, 8:06 am

Maybe someone could help me with this here because I'm confused.
The chords my guitar teacher has written down for me to practise on are, like, different from how they're supposed to be? Some are slightly different from how they're listed anywhere else.

For instance he wrote down the G so the B string is played also. His D leaves the A open and his C and Am leave the E open and all. I'm completely new to all this so I don't know what to make of it.

Should I be concerned?

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2022, 12:41 pm

Kerch wrote:
For instance he wrote down the G so the B string is played also. His D leaves the A open and his C and Am leave the E open and all. I'm completely new to all this so I don't know what to make of it.

Are you talking about open chords, or barre chords (moveable shapes)? And standard EADGBE tuning?

G, where on the B string? First fret (320013) would be a Gadd11.
Third fret (320033) is G5 I think?

Regular D major chord always has the A open (000232).
Am always has E open (002210)
Same with C (032010), but sometimes I'll add the G on the E string (332010) to liven things up, or alternate the chord a little. Sometimes I do that to the Am as well, especially if I mix it with an Am7 (302010), it makes a good transition.

BTW, if they haven't shown you this already, when you play G open chord, fret the root note with your ring finger instead of your middle. It's so much easier that way, makes it super fast to switch between G and C, G and D, etc. and leaves your pointer finger open to add extra notes in.
So like ring finger is E string, 3rd fret; middle finger is A string 2nd fret; pinky finger is high E string, 3rd fret.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2022, 1:29 pm

Kerch wrote:
Maybe someone could help me with this here because I'm confused.
The chords my guitar teacher has written down for me to practise on are, like, different from how they're supposed to be? Some are slightly different from how they're listed anywhere else.

Should I be concerned?

It works only in dutch, maybe it helps you (ezelsbruggetje)

Een Aap Die Geen Bananen Eet

Kerch
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2022, 6:22 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Kerch wrote:

Are you talking about open chords, or barre chords (moveable shapes)? And standard EADGBE tuning?

G, where on the B string? First fret (320013) would be a Gadd11.
Third fret (320033) is G5 I think?

Regular D major chord always has the A open (000232).
Am always has E open (002210)
Same with C (032010), but sometimes I'll add the G on the E string (332010) to liven things up, or alternate the chord a little. Sometimes I do that to the Am as well, especially if I mix it with an Am7 (302010), it makes a good transition.

BTW, if they haven't shown you this already, when you play G open chord, fret the root note with your ring finger instead of your middle. It's so much easier that way, makes it super fast to switch between G and C, G and D, etc. and leaves your pointer finger open to add extra notes in.
So like ring finger is E string, 3rd fret; middle finger is A string 2nd fret; pinky finger is high E string, 3rd fret.

I've looked around online and I'm not the only person confused by this. People say there's multiple ways of fingering the same chord that sound somewhat different but the name remains the same. Which is nice and confusing if you don't know about it.

And I was talking about 320033, which apparently is just a common variation. The interwebs says G5 is something different.

As for the second thing I meant that some strings aren't played, and that's the difference between what is the commonly listed chords and what I've just been told. IDFK maybe I'm stumbling over the language here.

Your fingering advice just broke my little hand but I'll try practising it.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2022, 2:13 pm

Simon & Garfunkel, The Boxer. :)