How well would you handle a class presentation?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

holymackerel
Toucan
Toucan

04 Nov 2020, 12:32 pm

Just to start off I am not officially diagnosed yet and I have an assessment on Monday. Do you think it would go well if you were to give a presentation in class? By now I am so used to how I am affected socially, but in this case I found it hard expressing myself in front of a class just explaining what I knew. I can do really well explaining myself in assignments, but found this harder.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2020, 2:55 pm

As with most things, the more you do it, the easier it gets.

When I started, out, I hated doing it, and panicked so hard I pretty much blanked out and rapidly babbled thru my presentations, assuming I didn't chicken out and avoid it altogether.

Now I love doing them, and am pretty good at it. Had to learn how to make a proper script to follow, that made it easier. Practicing the presentation endlessly before delivering it helped a lot, too. Cold readings tend to be a little choppy, so its beneficial to rehearse the presentation a buncha times beforehand.

holymackerel
Toucan
Toucan

06 Nov 2020, 5:01 pm

Thanks for the response. Maybe going into uni I can get them to be ok with leaving me some preparation time for presentations. It is just unfortunately in this one we got 45 minutes notice, so I didn't feel as prepared as I would like to do it. Especially being filmed. I think I will definitely add this as a requirement on my ucas application.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2020, 9:07 pm

Very seldom have I been expected to deliver a presentation for school without days or weeks advanced notice. Not many people are skilled at speaking extemporaneously, so being expected to present something only an hour in advance with no chance to practice would throw most people off. It is very much a learned and practiced skill, even for neurotypical individuals.

holymackerel
Toucan
Toucan

02 Dec 2020, 2:57 pm

uncommondenominator wrote:

I think you are right. I have been getting better, it was just a bit offputting being given such short notice. I felt completely unprepared for it.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2020, 5:57 pm

holymackerel wrote:
uncommondenominator wrote:

I think you are right. I have been getting better, it was just a bit offputting being given such short notice. I felt completely unprepared for it.

Excellent! I'm glad to hear you're having more success with it. New things tend to feel awkward, simply because it's new and unfamiliar. Keep at it - you might be surprised at the level of skill you develop.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2020, 6:15 pm

As somebody who has done public speaking regularly (in the higher education sector) practice is important in developing this craft.

As you have correctly pointed out the preparation is important as the execution. The more prepared you are the more confident you will be standing in front of an audience and delivering your presentation.

Immensity
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Jan 2021, 7:22 pm

This post is old but I just wanted to add that the psychologist that did my evaluation said if I ever go back to college to request a long report from their office so I can request accommodations from the school.

He said one accommodation I can request is to not have to talk in class. He said I can request to not be called on, not have to talk in front of the class, to not participate in group projects, to not have tardiness/absenteeism counted against me, request a note taker, etc.

I was floored! If I ever go back to college I will absolutely go this route!! !!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2021, 7:32 pm

In Australia people diagnosed with certain conditions (like social anxiety) can opt to complete alternative assessments to oral presentations given by the higher education course provider.

Immensity

03 Jan 2021, 7:38 pm

Yes!

I should have added you still have to complete assignments of equal weight, but an alternative way to achieve a grade for that project has to be provided.

The long report I’d need for that is $1000!! ! This is after the cost of my evaluation and diagnosis.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2021, 9:57 am

holymackerel wrote:
How well would you handle a class presentation?
Not very well, I am afraid.

Really, I have a lot of anxiety when speaking in public.  Unless I psych myself up to play the role of "Drill Sergeant" or "Professor", I cannot handle more than a few Bible verses during church services.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2021, 2:48 pm

I hate public speaking.