What subjects were you mostly good at in school?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

What subjects were/are you good in at school?
Indoor sports (gym, swimming, etc) 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Outdoor sports (football, basketball, etc) 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
English and literature 16%  16%  [ 15 ]
Science (any type) 10%  10%  [ 9 ]
Maths 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
Computer technology 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
Resistant materials (or 'Shop Class') 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Textiles (sewing and knitting) 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Economics 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Cookery 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Foreign languages 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
History 11%  11%  [ 10 ]
Geography 10%  10%  [ 9 ]
Religious Education 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Art and design 8%  8%  [ 7 ]
Drama 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Music 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
Other (please specify) 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 93

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2020, 6:44 pm

I didn't want to post this in the school and college life section because nobody hardly visits that these days.

Anyway, which subjects were/are you good at when you were (preferably) in high school (aged about 11-17)?

You can select as many as you like.

Please forgive me if I have missed any out. I've only gone by the general UK school curriculum, which is why I have added an "other" option.

I was good in anything to do with creativity, like creative writing, designing, and art. So basically I was more of an English and art type of student.

Most of the other subjects I really sucked at, particularly in maths, science, technology, outdoor sports, and foreign languages.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2020, 7:06 pm

I was good at non-math-heavy sciences (for example, biology, but not physics) and the grammar/spelling part of English (but not “reading between the lines” or trying to interpret things in non-literal ways, though I had the stereotypical Aspie memory and could remember such things for tests if the teacher explained it to us, but for example, I could tell when they get one line not word-for-word in the movie version of a book but not answer a single question on a worksheet asking questions about the same book because they were all these sorts of questions). Kind of an odd mix. Overall I was decent at most things except PE until high school, where math and equations and the like became difficult for me. I ended up getting put with the “special education” students for PE but nothing else in high school.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2020, 7:11 pm

I was best at:

(•) English & Literature
(•) Science (any type)
(•) Mathematics
(•) History
(•) Geography

Back then (early 1970s), we did not have a computer course, per se.  The closest we had was a Business course for seniors that borrowed time on a university mainframe through Teletype™ machines at the community college.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2020, 7:12 pm

Physics.
Geography.
Computer Studies when computers were the Commodore Pet and the new BBC Micro (Been somewhat superceeded since those days!)
CDT (D+C) ( I was ok at CDT (D+R) as well).

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2020, 7:14 pm

Mostly excelling anything hands on...

Shamelessly, my best subject for the entire elementary was physical education, arts and crafts...
Because the grades were more about participation than studies.

High school and beyond adds along with computers (more like using programs; AutoCAD/photoshop/etc. and programming than computer studies) and home making (cooking, textiles, etc.)

I came from a K to 10 school system.
And was supposed to go to college by age 16.

I'd suck at anything to do with pure reading and memorization.
Or badly taught abstracts and theories without much to get around it.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2020, 7:20 pm

While I LOVE local industrial and railway History, school History revolved all around people like kings ad queens and remembering dates of people and I was not interested in people so I dropped History even though my last exam was 89%. I could not take both History ad Geography as it was a choice of one or the other.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2020, 7:40 pm

I was good at:

Math, until high school
English, starting in high school
Geography
History
Most sciences, but not physics

I sucked at Gym. I was exempted from gym after a while, so I could have sessions with the guidance counselor at my junior high.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2020, 7:43 pm

I sucked more in the subjects that required memorizing, like math, technology, science and foreign languages. I wasn't good at team sports because of the way I got easily intimidated by the girls that took the games too seriously, but I was an active child so I did better in indoor sports because it didn't involve team games so much.

I had a very vivid imagination so I was very good at coming up with creative ideas. Although I was quite behind in reading, I still was good in english classes because of my good spelling and punctuation skills. I love writing, which is why I write so many posts on WP. My vocabulary ain't very good though, and I think that was where I didn't quite get the grades I wanted in english because I didn't use enough "big words".

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2020, 7:47 pm

Languages: I studied Latin, Ancient Greek and French at 'A' Level.

Also did well in History, English Lit and Biology at an earlier stage.

Maths, Physics and Geography were my worst subjects.

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2020, 9:08 pm

History (my favorite)
Geography
English
Biology

I usually got B's in math and A's in everything else if it wasn't AP.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2020, 2:43 am

Without hands on and performance based subjects...

I'd excel at anything related to do with 'spaces' and 'shapes' (visual and nonvisual visualization) if there are no kinesthetics, video/demonstrations/animated, patterns/logic/symbols to get around...

Likely that in order.

Depending on the lesson of the subjects.

As long as it doesn't have;

History (dates and names)
Cultures (more names, religion, civics/humanities)
Further memorization of labels and stats (chemistry's elemental tables, math formulas, languages' parts of grammar, etc..!) ... :lol:
And more complex maths because more formulas (physics, chemistry).

Still suck at memorizing.
I'd likely know how to use a needle and thread, while knowing which size and type to use in which situation, and then do the job cleanly...
Than recite their names, size numbers and stats. :oops: :lol: Or what that specific name of that particular needle and thread.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2020, 10:34 am

I enjoyed English. Particularly creative writing such as storytelling and poetry. However, I wasn't always happy with the selection of required reading books, I was jealous of the other classes for getting to cover different books because their books sounded more interesting. I liked writing because it gave me the freedom to create whatever I wanted. Personally, I considered it to be a form of escape and I liked to add in jokes every so often. It gave me an outlet where I could express my frustrations without getting into trouble.

When I was seventeen; an English teacher offered to write a letter of recommendation for a university level English course. However, I already had an unconditional offer for digital design, so I rejected her offer. I enjoyed writing but I also knew that I wanted to create a story with visuals.

Back then, I had an interest in art but I didn't have the time to truly improve. I didn't enjoy my art lessons but I enjoyed the subject of art. My teacher would force me to make eye-contact which used to be an issue of mine with authority figures (purposefully ignoring me if I didn't or calling me out on avoiding his eyes). He also insisted that I stick to a very specific drawing niche which I grew bored of, but when I tried to convince him to let me do something else he'd tell me that I lacked technical skill and should just stay in my lane. I failed my GCSE art but I knew that it was still an interest I wanted to pursue. My grades were fairly reasonable, I just completely bombed my last exam.

I liked studying genetics in science, but I didn't like much else about the subject. During my breaks I'd sometimes go into the library and research animal behaviour because I was fascinated with how certain physical attributes and behaviours developed and why. I absolutely despised physics as most of the questions made absolutely no sense to me.

As for sport, I failed miserably at most except swimming and hockey. I was well-known for my hockey skill and people would argue over who got me on their team. However, I was terrible at most sports. Yet for some reason I made a good hockey defender. In netball, you couldn't pay my classmates to have me on their team. I was atrocious. :lol:

I ended up with a distinction in business studies and I did OK in computer technology / IT. Web design and digital art seemed like a logical direction to go in. So I went into learning code and making multimedia art. Then I went onto University.

My food technology was OK, except that I had to deal with bullies sabotaging my food. Someone did steal a piece of my cake once. Another time I was walking home with my food tech and someone offered me money for the food, so it can't have been that bad. :lol: My desserts were alright but my mains weren't anything to write home about. *Shrug* I like my food plain and my stories interesting. :P

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

06 Nov 2020, 11:52 pm

I struggled majorly with lots of school stuff due to dyslexia & other related learning problems & my grade was curved in some of my classes so I would pass. But I did do well in a few classes in high-school.
I took Reading 1 in 9th grade & never did worse than a B on my report card. It was a class for people who struggled & my reading ability & comprehension were actually a grade level above my peers. However my reading speed was very slow & I did not do well reading out loud due to anxiety & a tremor disorder that can affect my voice & is made worse by anxiety & stress.
I got all As in PE all 3 years I took it which were 10-12. I have various physical disabilities but to get As in PE you mostly had to dress in your gym cloths, not cause a problem(aka no bullying or a lot of class clowning), & try/pretend to participate some.
I took General Business my senior year & I was the best student in the class. It was discussion based & we never 1ce had homework or reading assignments. Most everyone got As.
I did well in Business Math which I also took in my senior year. I did not do well in other math. I took Algebra 1 in 10th grade & I failed every test. I only passed Algebra 1 cuz the teacher curved my grade. With math like Algebra you had to know formulas but Business Math was different. Business Math did not count as a math credit. There were lots of word problems about real world scenarios so it was very practical to real life. With Business Math there were usually multiple ways you could get the answer & you mostly just needed to get the correct one.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2020, 10:34 am

I sucked at foregein languages at first, but then I was moved to special education class for English due to how bad I was, and a year or so later I had more or less caught up with my age group. In my certificate at the end of 9th grade, my English grade was 10, which was the highest possible, and all through business school (from ages 15 to 18), my grade was 3, which was also the highest possible. It seems I was so bad simply because the basics hadn't sunk in before the studies moved further, but once they did, I got it. Well, that and we also got internet around that time, which allowed me to actually use English outside of class.

In business school, I nailed budgeting from the start (that's something I take pride in) and, surprisingly, did well in customer service, too.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2020, 3:54 pm

Quote:
Back then, I had an interest in art but I didn't have the time to truly improve. I didn't enjoy my art lessons but I enjoyed the subject of art. My teacher would force me to make eye-contact which used to be an issue of mine with authority figures (purposefully ignoring me if I didn't or calling me out on avoiding his eyes). He also insisted that I stick to a very specific drawing niche which I grew bored of, but when I tried to convince him to let me do something else he'd tell me that I lacked technical skill and should just stay in my lane. I failed my GCSE art but I knew that it was still an interest I wanted to pursue. My grades were fairly reasonable, I just completely bombed my last exam.

I had a similar art problem. I took art as GCSE because I was good at art and enjoyed it too, but I actually failed my first art exam for being too creative! Can you believe that? The teacher said that it didn't relate to an artist or something, so he couldn't give me a grade. It was annoying considering I had put effort, time and even money into that.
So in my final art exam I researched the given artists I had to research, and none were that interesting to me and I couldn't really think of much I could do similar to their art. So I thought of something in the end but my work in my final exam wasn't that good, so I ended up getting a very low grade for not producing a good piece. But it just wasn't the same as being able to be creative and original.

The same happened in woodwork (shop class) which I also took as a GCSE, but was the other way around. I designed a type of theme for a bookshelf which was really good, and although I needed help with putting it together the teacher was still very astonished with the design idea I had come up with. But I was in the lower class for woodwork so the highest grade they were allowed to give me was a C, although they admitted that I deserved an A.

So annoying.