Do You Read the Books in Elder Scrolls Games?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

usagibryan
Toucan
Toucan

06 Nov 2020, 8:52 am

I've been obsessed with TES lately (again) and I'm trying to force myself to actually read the books. If I'm dungeon crawling and find a book and don't feel like stopping to read it right then and there I'll pocket it and put it on my bookshelf. Of course this just results in my accumulating unread books on a bookshelf. My rule is if my bookshelf gets full I have to read at least one book and sell it to free up space. Also anything that has a volume number I pocket until I find the previous volumes.

There is so much crazy lore I hear about and I have no idea where fans are getting this information from. Things like kalpas, the Towers and CHIM. Most of the books I'm finding are either short stories or about in-game stuff.

I have a short attention span so reading just one book in game is a big deal for me, and these aren't really books they are more like short stories or essays. It doesn't help that when you read a book it doesn't fill the whole screen so I have to strain to read it (who's idea was that? Honestly).

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2020, 9:07 pm

I do sometimes depending on my mood. I usually just collect them without getting around to reading them.

Abstract_Logic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2020, 11:37 am

usagibryan wrote:
I've been obsessed with TES lately (again) and I'm trying to force myself to actually read the books. If I'm dungeon crawling and find a book and don't feel like stopping to read it right then and there I'll pocket it and put it on my bookshelf. Of course this just results in my accumulating unread books on a bookshelf. My rule is if my bookshelf gets full I have to read at least one book and sell it to free up space. Also anything that has a volume number I pocket until I find the previous volumes.

There is so much crazy lore I hear about and I have no idea where fans are getting this information from. Things like kalpas, the Towers and CHIM. Most of the books I'm finding are either short stories or about in-game stuff.

I have a short attention span so reading just one book in game is a big deal for me, and these aren't really books they are more like short stories or essays. It doesn't help that when you read a book it doesn't fill the whole screen so I have to strain to read it (who's idea was that? Honestly).

I was like this when I first started playing, and it became sort of a habit to collect them, intend to read them later but never actually do lol. I broke out of this habit because all of the lore, books, notes, etc., you find in the games are available online at Imperial Library. The Bethesda forums for TES games has an outline of Tamriel history and lore, and UESPWiki is indispensable as well.

RPG enthusiast
Has OCD, social anxiety, CPTSD

Steffipanda
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Dec 2020, 5:05 am

Sometimes I will read the books.

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

28 Dec 2020, 7:15 am

Yes, I pretty much read everything I can on my first playthrough of a game. I also make all of my Sims read all of the books when I'm playing that.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2020, 10:57 am

In general I don't read them unless:
1. If their value is above 50 gold pieces I will open the book to see if it will reward me with a skill improvement. Most times when you come across one of these special books, it will open when you pick it up. But not always. So it is good to check.
2. I will always open a Black Book, but before I do, I will prepare myself for the trip. Generally I will make sure I will drop off some heavy items to free up the weight and make sure I have enough restoratives on me.
3. Some books contain maps that will lead you to other unexplored areas. So by not opening up the books and not flipping through the pages, I will sometimes miss valuable clues.

Also there is no need to get rid of your books. All you have to do is own a house. There are many containers in a house such as dressers, chest, end tables. Just pick one and empty it and store all your books in that container. Storing them on a bookshelf is clutter. I think currently I have over 500 books stored in one chest. They are there any time I want it.