Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2020, 3:46 pm

Organization is a skill I just never learned. I was about 40 before I heard of someone having a list of their file folders. For me, a mess with a corner of everything showing works pretty well, as does a pile of things left in chronological order. When I do try to organize, I can't predict if I'll be looking for something based on its function, colour, material, or size.

Now, I want to organize a large collection of ideas within a field, and this seems even more obscure. Any tips?

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2020, 4:11 pm

Sure. The basic system goes from general to specific. For example, you may have four over arching categories and then each categories have subcategories, and so on. For example, you might be organizing policy and you have bin for environmental policy, health policy, educational policy, etc. Those are then sub-divided by statutes, regulations, court decisions, and research. Those then can be further divided into land, ocean, and wildlife, in the case of environmental policy. You could also decide land, ocean, and wildlife take precedent over statutes, regulations, court decisions, and research if you think in terms of land, ocean, and wildlife categories.

You are simply setting up information structures.

Likewise, file names follow that so sorting on names arranges files in a logical way. So I might have enviro-statutes-ocean-CZMA-1984. You can also develop coding prefixes for file names, but that can be trickier if you don't know how all possible levels of information you need.

You can also map all this out on a piece of paper before you begin. You can play with some different structures. Something that reflects your hierarchy of information works the best as it is more intuitive for you. If you are designing for others, then their input can help as it will have to fit a workflow.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2020, 4:23 pm

Jiheisho wrote:
Sure. The basic system goes from general to specific. For example, you may have four over arching categories and then each categories have subcategories, and so on. For example, you might be organizing policy and you have bin for environmental policy, health policy, educational policy, etc. Those are then sub-divided by statutes, regulations, court decisions, and research. Those then can be further divided into land, ocean, and wildlife, in the case of environmental policy. You could also decide land, ocean, and wildlife take precedent over statutes, regulations, court decisions, and research if you think in terms of land, ocean, and wildlife categories.

You are simply setting up information structures.

Likewise, file names follow that so sorting on names arranges files in a logical way. So I might have enviro-statutes-ocean-CZMA-1984. You can also develop coding prefixes for file names, but that can be trickier if you don't know how all possible levels of information you need.

You can also map all this out on a piece of paper before you begin. You can play with some different structures. Something that reflects your hierarchy of information works the best as it is more intuitive for you. If you are designing for others, then their input can help as it will have to fit a workflow.

I don't have hierarchies yet. If I had a dozen folders to choose from, and a file card with an idea on it, I'd still want to be able to find it while browsing about half of the folders. Everything seems connected, and the strength of the connections depends mostly on the day's perspective.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2020, 5:35 pm

I have ADHD so how can anyone expect me to organise things? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2020, 5:47 pm

I tend to put things in piles, though my piles end up a mess. They are "Semi organized". I have been known to have piles of things cluttering up the place but drawes and cupboards with hardly anything in them! The problem is when I do put things away I want everything to be precise, so they never end up put away. But when I really have to I just grab everything and shove them in draws and cupboards and think "I will sort them again". I am not happy about doing that but I have done it.

So I am a mix of organized and messy at the same time.

When I have been in a work enviroment, I am very clean and tidy. Yet at home somehow I find it difficult? I don't know why. Is quite a contrast.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2020, 6:47 pm

Dear_one wrote:
Everything seems connected, and the strength of the connections depends mostly on the day's perspective.

Ah, I do understand that.
A 'solution' escapes me, but the issue is related to.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2020, 7:00 pm

Badly. Every system I develop collapses before long.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2020, 8:07 pm

How do I well, I don't and If I'd try i'd never stick to it lol.

idntonkw
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Nov 2020, 12:47 am

Dear_one wrote:
Organization is a skill I just never learned. I was about 40 before I heard of someone having a list of their file folders. For me, a mess with a corner of everything showing works pretty well, as does a pile of things left in chronological order. When I do try to organize, I can't predict if I'll be looking for something based on its function, colour, material, or size.

Now, I want to organize a large collection of ideas within a field, and this seems even more obscure. Any tips?

1. Brainstorm on paper or in Microsoft Word document. One or one sentence descriptions of each idea in a list.
2. If cleaning, clean from left to right, finding a place for each thing you encounter and leaving a clean area behind you as you go.
3. Ideas, maybe you can organize them in the order of importance, or the amount of actions each one will require?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2020, 3:12 am

I don't. :oops:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2020, 4:58 am

So far, we have only 20% of us feeling confident about organizing, but not giving the details I seek. I am familiar with the general process; it is the actual deciding I find a challenge. Do you never struggle with where to put things?
On a related issue, I wonder if creative workers are usually messy, because otherwise novel combinations of ideas just don't form.
In "A Writer's Time" Atchity gives the usual advice about putting each idea on a single index card, but then he says that shuffling them into the right order for a book takes about as much time as reading the book quickly. He says nothing about deciding which is the right order out of an infinite number of ways to approach a subject.
I see a new method in use involving keywords as labels to help a computer search. Perhaps this method would let me link each idea to several others for exploration of the field? How are keywords chosen?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2020, 5:08 am

best i seem able to do is just put stuff into like piles.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2020, 6:34 am

I have made so many attempts to organize and they fail, ultimately, due to the issue you are addressing, dear_one. Too many things I’m trying to organize fall into too many categories. I suspect the answer is to cross-reference everything.

So a physical file folder would have in it items that clearly belong there, plus a sheet of paper cross-referencing related documents in other files.

But that would be a tremendous amount of work.

For actual paper documents, I basically have slush piles which eventually slide into each other. I am planning to organize them. (HA!)

For really important pieces of paper, like maps, I put them all, loose, in a box or drawer. All my maps of canoe routes are in one of two drawers.

Electronic documents are easier, of course, because one can search across files. I try to name files with enough key words that a reasonable search till turn them up.

Some documents can’t easily be made into electronic ones, such as canoe routes.

Aspies are probably not the best resource for tips on organization. :lol:

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2020, 6:45 am

I heard of one professor who used a sheet of plywood for a desk. When it got too cluttered, he'd put a fresh sheet on top, so he could still get back to things where he remembered them. At last report, he had three layers.

An NT friend of mine was, I suspect, divorced from an Aspie. He had had his papers organized in piles, and had a meltdown when she moved them to do something with the baby. Often, the easiest place for me to find something is simply the same place I found it last time, however out of place it looks there.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2020, 6:59 am

Spatially and not more than 3 dimensions in every stationery area of relevance. :|
Less than 2 if it's ongoing and ever changing.

Anything else is not easy to recall and falls away faster.

So this habit of piling up and the utter dislike of displacing anything from the piles seem to make sense.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2020, 11:22 am

Mine is the organized chaos method.