Page 2 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2020, 11:13 pm

I forgot to mention Papua New Guinea.

Hong Kong, Taiwan, Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, and beyond. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2020, 11:17 pm

EEP! I got it a teeny weeny bit wrong
Not a quarter of a Billion in Australian defence spending
270 Billion. EEP!

Quote:
Australia to spend $270b building larger military to prepare for 'poorer, more dangerous' world and rise of China

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-30/ ... y/12408232

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2020, 11:20 pm

Pepe wrote:
270 Billion. EEP!

Quote:
Australia to spend $270b building larger military to prepare for 'poorer, more dangerous' world and rise of China

I do wonder if we need to spend so much on defence? that money might be needed to stimulate our post-covid economy

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2020, 11:22 pm

Quote:
Scott Morrison has unveiled a more aggressive defence strategy aimed at countering the rise of China, while warning that Australia faces regional challenges on a scale not seen since World War II.
Key points:

Scott Morrison has committed $270 billion to defence spending over the next 10 years
The ADF will get long-range anti-shipping missiles as it refocuses on possible conflict with China in the Indo-Pacific
The PM says the region is the "epicentre" of rising strategic competition

The strategy increases the focus on the Indo-Pacific region, with the Prime Minister warning that Australia needs to prepare for a post-COVID-19 world that is "poorer, more dangerous and more disorderly".

Australia will build a larger military that is focused on its immediate backyard, including new long-range anti-ship missiles, signalling a major shift in the nation's defence strategy.

"We have not seen the conflation of global economic and strategic uncertainty now being experienced here in Australia in our region since the existential threat we faced when the global and regional order collapsed in the 1930s and 1940s," the Prime Minister warned.

Mr Morrison also announced a commitment to spend $270 billion over the next decade on defence capabilities, including more potent strike weapons, cyber capabilities and a high-tech underwater surveillance system.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2020, 11:25 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
270 Billion. EEP!

Quote:
Australia to spend $270b building larger military to prepare for 'poorer, more dangerous' world and rise of China*

I do wonder if we need to spend so much on defence? that money might be needed to stimulate our post-covid economy

You don't seem to understand how big an existential threat China* is to Australia.

Do you have better military information/intelligence that the Prime Minister?
I don't think so, Tim. :mrgreen:

StayFrosty
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2020, 12:18 am

VegetableMan wrote:
The Australian army uses mostly knives, boomerangs, and s**t, right?
I've heard they cover the blades in Gympie juice.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2020, 3:47 am

Why the bloody hell would China want to travel past the countries of Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, the Philippines, Brunei, Timor-Leste and Papua New Guinea to strike at... Australia?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Nov 2020, 3:58 am

cyberdad wrote:
If the Chinese government isn't going to invade Taiwan I doubt they would worry about Australia.
GGPViper wrote:
Why the bloody hell would China want to travel past the countries of Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, the Philippines, Brunei, Timor-Leste and Papua New Guinea to strike at... Australia?

This.
In current situation, military invasion does not pay off. That's what's keeping Russia from reconquering Eastern Europe. They try to do it quietly and opportunistically, instead, with "little green people" in places of unrest.

An obvious agressor would have everyone against them and even China, Russia and North Korea know it. No one needs to literally threat with WWIII to make them get this message. They already have it. If they didn't, Eastern Europe, Korea and South East Asia would be already standing in fire.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2020, 3:59 am

GGPViper wrote:
Why the bloody hell would China* want to travel past the countries of Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, the Philippines, Brunei, Timor-Leste and Papua New Guinea to strike at... Australia?

Ask our military advisers. They are the ones who are concerned about war with China* before the end of the decade.

As I said, for the resources, positioning and lebensraum.
We are relatively weak.
Deprive America of having an excellent base.
Use your imagination.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Nov 2020, 4:16 am

Our military is considering a possibility of an invasion from Russia all the time - it does not mean it will happen.
The rocket launchers in Kaliningrad Oblast have been aimed at my city since the 1990s. They still are. And think of all the people living in Seul!

A threat of a military invasion is always real and it's the job of the military to keep prepared for it, including identifying the most probable agressors. That does not mean someone is preparing an invasion. That means it's a scenario that requires being prepared even if the possibility is tiny.

Now, don't rely on US being bullies. That's unhealthy for everyone involved and makes the worst-case scenario more likely, not less.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2020, 4:23 am

China, in my opinion, is more interested in global economic control not military rule.

Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2020, 6:15 am

Teach51 wrote:
China, in my opinion, is more interested in global economic control not military rule.

I agree. From what I hear they're taking over the world by gobbling up businesses and real estate.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2020, 3:06 pm

magz wrote:
Our military is considering a possibility of an invasion from Russia all the time - it does not mean it will happen.
The rocket launchers in Kaliningrad Oblast have been aimed at my city since the 1990s. They still are. And think of all the people living in Seul!

A threat of a military invasion is always real and it's the job of the military to keep prepared for it, including identifying the most probable agressors. That does not mean someone is preparing an invasion. That means it's a scenario that requires being prepared even if the possibility is tiny.

Exactly. Every country's military gazes at the map for possible enemies, and prepares, and games out possible scenarios for, how those enemies may attack the nation. And they game out how to attack other nations. For decades the US has had blueprints for possible US invasions of Canada, and even more laughable sounding: Canada has blue prints for it invading the US! The Washington Post had a whole light hearted article about that some years ago. But as silly as both invasion plans sound- the US blue print might actually have come to be used in WWII. Canada was part of the British Empire. France had fallen, it looked all too likely that Britain might fall to the invincible seeming Nazis as well. The British Isles would be occupied, and a Quisling/Marshal Petain type puppet ruler might be installed by Hitler in London. So the US military might really have needed to seize control of our then British ruled giant neighbor to the north for our own security.

Likewise Australia was threatened by Japan in WWII. China might replace Japan as a Pacific aggressor nation and would likely also threaten Australia. So its logical that Australia's military should plan for that possibility even if it isnt about to happen tomorrow, nor the next day.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2020, 5:22 pm

Pepe wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
Why the bloody hell would China* want to travel past the countries of Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, the Philippines, Brunei, Timor-Leste and Papua New Guinea to strike at... Australia?

Ask our military advisers. They are the ones who are concerned about war with China* before the end of the decade.

We are relatively weak.
Use your imagination.

I realise your default position is to take the opposite view to what I say but read what others have posted. I have lived in Asia and I know the Chinese mind very well. Throughout their history (from 2000 years ago) they have never been a military-expansionist country. At one point they were the only empire in the world to have cannons, gunpowder, a huge army, giant warships but they never expanded their borders.

They only use their military to enforce border integrity such as with India, Tibet, South China sea and Hong Kong.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2020, 4:14 am

cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
GGPViper wrote:

We are relatively weak.
Use your imagination.

I realise your default position is to take the opposite view to what I say but read what others have posted.

I have integrity, and I don't play devil's advocate.
We simply mostly disagree.
I gather I hit a nerve, somewhere.
Your attitude is curious.
Is your wife of China*s* decent?

Think about it.
Morrison is throwing 270 BILLION to protect us from China* because? :scratch:
And the China*s* diplomat threatened Australia in terms of physical consequences, not that long ago.
And China* is in the process of destroying our economy.
We have very real reasons for concern.

cyberdad wrote:
I have lived in Asia and I know the China*s* mind very well. Throughout their history (from 2000 years ago) they have never been a military-expansionist country. At one point they were the only empire in the world to have cannons, gunpowder, a huge army, giant warships but they never expanded their borders.

What you have said is nonsense.
The culture you are talking about then is not the same culture of today. 8)
BTW, There were enemies threatening China*, significantly, hence the need of "The Great Wall of China*". 8)

cyberdad wrote:
They only use their military to enforce border integrity such as with India, Tibet, South China* sea and Hong Kong.

They *created* man-made islands in the south sea, to dominate the shipping lanes.
That is a territorial gain.
Taiwan is not China* and the China*s* intends to invade, some time down the line.
Hong Kong was meant to be part of the two China* system for some time to come.
What happened to that?
The China*s* leader has told his military to prepare for war.

I have valid reasons for what I say but from my POV, your rationale is weak. 8)

Last edited by Pepe on 15 Nov 2020, 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2020, 4:23 am

naturalplastic wrote:

Likewise Australia was threatened by Japan in WWII. China* might replace Japan as a Pacific aggressor nation and would likely also threaten Australia. So its logical that Australia's military should plan for that possibility even if it isnt about to happen tomorrow, nor the next day.

A military analyst has suggested we may be at war with China* by the end of this decade. 8)
Morrison is throwing 270 Billion into our defence.
That is a ***LOT*** of money for Australia.
Is Morrison a loonie tune, or does he have genuine concerns?
I strongly suspect, the latter. 8)