Page 4 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2020, 4:07 pm

magz wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
Pepe wrote:
I am sure someone else can tell you why I spell it as "China*" 8)
Who?

Using my clairvoyant superpowers, I enter Pepe's mind to find the answer and...

... aww...

...evacuate!

Interesting.
I use synthetic telepathy, myself. 8) :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2020, 4:17 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
These ladies at 0:56 and 1:25 are coming for you Pepe. And they're gonna punish you hard....very hard.

Nicht scheißen schießen!
I will readily surrender to the China*s* military babes. :heart:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2020, 4:22 pm

Feyokien wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
BTW, why do you keep writing "China*"?

I think it has something to do with Chinese censors.

Quote:
A Chinese company with links to Beijing's military and intelligence networks has been amassing a vast database of detailed personal information on thousands of Australians, including prominent and influential figures.
Key points:

2.4 million names and profiles are on the database, including more than 35,000 Australians
The company which created the database has links to China's government and military
The leak raises further questions about the spread and scope of China's intelligence gathering operations

A database of 2.4 million people, including more than 35,000 Australians, has been leaked from the Shenzhen company Zhenhua Data which is believed to be used by China's intelligence service, the Ministry of State Security.

Zhenhua has the People's Liberation Army and the Chinese Communist Party among its main clients.

Information collected includes dates of birth, addresses, marital status, along with photographs, political associations, relatives and social media IDs.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-14/ ... s/12656668

EEP! 8O

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2020, 4:29 pm

GGPViper wrote:
.. well, I suppose one *could* come up with a sobriquet so similarly sportive as "China*" for Australia, but I fancy such endeavours would be akin to jostling with a mammal of the Suidae family.
Women in uniform are *hot*.
That being said, it is quite well known that China prefers to achieve its foreign policy objectives through softer means that military action. And should a military confrontation occur between China and another country, Australia - being almost 2,700 miles away - is probably not the first country which would come to mind...

Well, there goes $270 Billion. :roll:
Stupid Australian Prime minister! :evil: :mrgreen:

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2020, 7:17 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Incorrect.
My main concern is a physical invasion, by China*.
Military experts have suggested we could be at war with China*, by the end of the decade, and this was before the pandemic.
Destroying our economy will simply make it easier to conquer us. 8O

not going to happen.

What are your grounds for believing it is not going to happen?

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2020, 7:23 pm

magz wrote:
Now, don't rely on US being bullies. That's unhealthy for everyone involved and makes the worst-case scenario more likely, not less.

Very important point. Thanks.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2020, 7:24 pm

Australia has lots of land, but most of it is uninhabitable, even by Australians.

Mineral resources might be of interest to China, but if they own most of them already that's not a reason to get aggressive, is it?

I suspect there will be some posturing, and then business as usual.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2020, 7:31 pm

Tempus Fugit wrote:
Teach51 wrote:
China, in my opinion, is more interested in global economic control not military rule.

I agree. From what I hear they're taking over the world by gobbling up businesses and real estate.

At least for now, that's true. However, China is now building more and more military bases around the world. (See pages here and here and here and here.)

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 29 Nov 2020, 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2020, 7:54 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
At least for now, that's true. However, China is now building more and more military bases around the world. (See pages https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/chinas-overseas-military-bases-should-we-be-worried-163675here and here and here and here.)

How does that compare with US and Russian military bases around the globe?

Just so I know where we're at with the colonial Top Trumps game.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2020, 9:00 pm

Redd_Kross wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
At least for now, that's true. However, China is now building more and more military bases around the world. (See pages https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/chinas-overseas-military-bases-should-we-be-worried-163675here and here and here and here.)

How does that compare with US and Russian military bases around the globe?

Just so I know where we're at with the colonial Top Trumps game.

Well, the U.S. has certainly gotten involved in quite a few wars around the world, not all of which were justified IMO.

Likewise, if any other country has military bases around the world, I think it's safe to assume that at least some of those bases are going to get used sooner or later, although it's impossible to predict exactly how, when, and where.

In any case, China has an authoritarian government with surveillance capabilities beyond anything the world has ever seen. That makes it uniquely dangerous to the freedoms of democracies.

As for Trump, he has made the situation worse, not better. See my separate thread Trump and China (and Australia).

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2020, 9:03 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
In any case, China has an authoritarian government with surveillance capabilities beyond anything the world has ever seen. That makes it uniquely dangerous to the freedoms of democracies.Trump and China (and Australia).

I wouldn't assume anybody's surveillance capabilities exceed those of the US.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2020, 9:31 pm

MaxE wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
In any case, China has an authoritarian government with surveillance capabilities beyond anything the world has ever seen. That makes it uniquely dangerous to the freedoms of democracies.Trump and China (and Australia).

I wouldn't assume anybody's surveillance capabilities exceed those of the US.

I wouldn't either. What makes China especially dangerous, IMO, is the combination of surveillance capabilities with authoritarianism.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2020, 9:38 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Well, the U.S. has certainly gotten involved in quite a few wars around the world, not all of which were justified IMO.

Likewise, if any other country has military bases around the world, I think it's safe to assume that at least some of those bases are going to get used sooner or later, although it's impossible to predict exactly how, when, and where.

In any case, China has an authoritarian government with surveillance capabilities beyond anything the world has ever seen. That makes it uniquely dangerous to the freedoms of democracies.

As for Trump, he has made the situation worse, not better. See my separate thread Trump and China (and Australia).

China is a modern threat. The USA and USSR were competing way before that. Most of the cold war stuff still exists, we just don't like to talk about it any more.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2020, 11:18 pm

Redd_Kross wrote:
Australia has lots of land, but most of it is uninhabitable, even by Australians.

Mineral resources might be of interest to China, but if they own most of them already that's not a reason to get aggressive, is it?

I suspect there will be some posturing, and then business as usual.

knin* is out to make an example of us.
It is getting worse, not better, here.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2020, 11:19 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Tempus Fugit wrote:
Teach51 wrote:
China, in my opinion, is more interested in global economic control not military rule.

I agree. From what I hear they're taking over the world by gobbling up businesses and real estate.

At least for now, that's true. However, China is now building more and more military bases around the world. (See pages here and here and here and here.)

They even *create* islands, so they can dominate the sea lanes, against international laws. 8O

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2020, 12:57 am

Looks like China is trolling Australia with doctored pictures of Australian soldiers killing children circulating on Chinese social media

Scomo will have something to say shortly