non-autistic people talk about people too much

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2020, 4:48 am

I'm so bored with my social media.

It seems like non-autistic people focus on other people a lot, and it's so boring. Doesn't matter whether it's negative or positive comments; I'm just not very interested.

Have you noticed this?

I'm just assuming these people are mostly non-autistic. I have no way of knowing for sure.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2020, 6:50 am

I'm ASD but all I talk about is people. :lol:

Can't you join some groups or something related to whatever interests you? I have pet rats so I belong to a Facebook group that's for people with rats to discuss their pets. You'll be surprised at how nobody in the group talks about anything other than their rats. And there's no trolling or bullying either.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2020, 2:57 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Can't you join some groups or something related to whatever interests you?

Yeah I can but sometimes I just want to be in a general interest group where people can talk about whatever they want, just not people all the time. A group for just one interest gets boring too.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2020, 4:36 pm

Not all neurotypicals talk about people too much

Although many do

robotrecall
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

Location: In a floating candy house with a flying pet unicorn

17 Nov 2020, 1:57 pm

In general, most people that do talk about people are just small people. At least I talk about subjects instead of people dang. These people need to get hobbies tbh.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2020, 2:38 pm

I'm only on twitter so I unfollow them if they spend their time on useless negative gossip and laughing at people for being different.

Facebook is more difficult.

Real life is even more difficult.

I told mum 'if they gossip about people they're closer to than they're close to you, they will be gossiping about you too'. She isn't autistic but she cuts people like that out of her life now.

This is a big part of why I say people should get hobbies. Since my parents have been back this evening, yes, we've talked about people but it was all either fictional characters (cos we enjoy reading), fictional people I've drawn or nice stuff about what we've bought for friends and family for Christmas.

It's near impossible not to 'talk about people' if taken at face value/aspie typical level of literalness. Gossip is different. I hate negative talk about people just cos they're different or 'lesser'. I hate private business being spoken of in a non-anonymous way that might get back to the person but is still behind their back.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2020, 5:11 pm

Great minds discuss ideas.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

-- Eleanor Roosevelt (1884-1962)

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2020, 5:57 am

Cool quote.

I vote we promote Fnord to honorary womanhood :)

Oh bother, I'm talking about a person :oops:

traven
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2020, 4:53 am

i don't understand "social media"
why would you want to talk with the people you know on media?
what's the use of that?
(((shortanswer- to know what to think?)))
or your supermarket wants to :skull: facebook :skull: with you, wth????
people/ahum\women my age think fb is the "internet"

daft, in 2010 i predicted by 2020 internet would equal tv, mainstream clicshow and shitbaite
successtory of paying for your own e,slavement (lol typo)

and all zombies are ok with "vir"-tual for currency
distraction and machiavelli, (virtue = worth)
automation and the new neighbourwatch-employment for virtue compensation

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2020, 12:41 pm

I like that quote, too. :)

I used to walk off when others were talking about people. When I grew up a bit more I tried to not join by offering to serve the food and help the host do dishes and stuff. I didn't feel interested in someone's son's ex-girlfriend's parents and their cats. When I was hosting parties I always prepared activities for people to do, like games, movie or outdoor stuff. I was rather shocked to learn that people would just sit there and talk to each other, all night, about stuff like their neighbor's fence, a recent flat tire, little cousin Danny's school project...etc. I've learned to tolerate them and tried to exchange my own mundane everyday stuff. Deep inside I was not interested and wished we were talking about physics or biology. I AM an extroverted girl and sometimes crave social interactions, but people are just so boring. I often regret about an outing or party. Then I forget and go again next time. 8O

Anyway nowadays I don't do social media. My chat apps only involve people in my family. I think I might have to puke if I have to comments on every picture of people's doggies, or even worse, their stuffed doggie toy with a cute pose.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2020, 12:58 pm

Fnord wrote:

So, who shall we discuss? 8)

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2020, 1:48 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:

So, who shall we discuss? 8)

How about discussing the people who had the idea for the event?
"What event?"
Uhhh ...
:lol:

Glflegolas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Dec 2020, 8:30 am

My brother's daughter is one of those non-autistics who talks about people too much. She talks about her friends at school, what they're wearing, where they ate pizza, etc. constantly. And yes, I find it gets very boring very fast.

I'm not trying to be sexist here but this kind of talk, especially when it involves other people's appearance, seems to be more prevalent in women. Back in the days when I was in high school it was literally impossible to not know which bathroom was which: the noisy one was the girl's, the quiet one, the boy's.

Honestly I am clueless what these "people-talkers" will do once they're retired?

Myers-Briggs personality: The Commander
Asperger's Quiz: 79/111, both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits present. AQ score: 23 Raads-r score: here

hariboci
Raven
Raven

28 Dec 2020, 7:55 pm

Yes, many people talk about others, I got bored with it, too. If they are close friends I warn them that I'll fall asleep or if it's too invasive I try to stop them. Surprisingly my male friends talk as much about people than the female friends.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2020, 8:12 pm

When they retire, they spend hours on the phone talking about people.....

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jan 2021, 7:52 am

This weird obsession with other people spills over into other areas, too.

Take a second look at advertisements. They might be TV ads, internet ads, posters in store windows, giant billboards, anything. Note how many of them focus on people, even when the product or service being advertised has nothing to do with people. Ads which could so easily be "This product is great because of X and Y" are instead "Here's Sally, a happy laughing twenty-something in fashionable clothing, using this product. Sally thinks this product is great, and uses it all the time. Don't you want to be like Sally?"

How many ads for breakfast radio shows display pictures of the hosts? How many product packages have people on them when there's really no need? How many ads for insurance, or retirement homes, or funeral parlors, focus on pictures of people instead of the actual service being advertised? How many political ads have a smiling politician or candidate instead of saying anything about their policies or political allegiances?

It's just unnecessary people, people people, everywhere. Honestly actually kinda creepy, really.