Page 1 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2020, 10:34 am

Thanksgiving Day, annual national holiday in the United States and Canada celebrating the harvest and other blessings of the past year. Americans generally believe that their Thanksgiving is modeled on a 1621 harvest feast shared by the English colonists (Pilgrims) of Plymouth and the Wampanoag people.

Several states are implementing laws to effectively ban the Thanksgiving celebration this year.

Washington states governor Jay Inslee is cracking down on indoor gatherings ahead of the Thanksgiving holiday, noting that gathering with those outside your home will be banned unless everyone involved quarantines for two weeks and tests negative for the virus.

Oregon's Gov. Kate Brown’s new restrictions that include limiting the number of people in social gatherings to no more than six. Brown backed up her new coronavirus restrictions by warning residents that police will help enforce compliance.

Sources:
* Washington governor bans Thanksgiving gatherings, announces new COVID business restrictions
* Oregon official calls out Brown’s COVID-19 restriction before Thanksgiving

We generally have a turkey for Thanksgiving and have the family over to celebrate. This year celebrations across the country will be somewhat muted. As a result many grocery suppliers are focusing on smaller turkeys. Generally grocery stores drop prices on turkeys a week or two before the holiday. I went to Krogers a couple days ago and purchased a large 26-pound turkey, which is normally priced at $1.59 a pound for $0.33. That is the lowest I have seen it in years.

I purchased a few OION S-3000 Ionizers with UV-C Sanitizers built in. So I will set one of these up to minimize any viruses floating around the house during our Thanksgiving.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Nov 2020, 10:52 am

Not my holiday but here, we have massive migration on Christmas and I'm already preparing for it.
My plan:
1. Get tested;
2. If I turn out negative, visit my inlaws (old and diabetic);
3. Then, visit my parents (younger, healthier, professionally active and having more extended family at home).

Unless they lock down the country, of course. I wouldn't mind stay at home, either.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2020, 10:53 am

Thanksgiving is not being banned or canceled. The traditions around the holiday may be muted or cancelled. Because of that some individuals will feel the holiday did not happen that is both understandable and on them but the holiday will happen. We had a zoom Passover but it was Passover and if we need to we will have a zoom Thanksgiving, it won’t be the same Thanksgiving but it will be Thanksgiving. 5 years ago I was laid up in the hospital after a very serious operation during the Jewish New Year, sucked for me but the holiday went on without me.

The Canadian Thanksgiving is in October.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2020, 11:01 am

Shades of March and April. I guess the people who believed that the summer weather would slow the spread were right, except all the numbers are inflated. At least now we somewhat know what to expect as far as how long these restrictions will last.

Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2020, 11:03 am

Comes as no surprise. It's going to be lockdown time big time around the world until April.

No christmas, no new years eve, just fuhgeddaboudit.

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Nov 2020, 11:12 am

Restrictions on visitation are not the same as cancelling a holiday. I'm thrilled I don't have the stress around any of them this year. No gathering for easter, xmas, t-day, 4th, nice & easy & calm. And even if the government said the holidays won't be recognized, one can still celebrate.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2020, 11:48 am

Blue_Star wrote:
Restrictions on visitation are not the same as cancelling a holiday. I'm thrilled I don't have the stress around any of them this year. No gathering for easter, xmas, t-day, 4th, nice & easy & calm. And even if the government said the holidays won't be recognized, one can still celebrate.

Order a few bottles of champaign on amazon, let the box sit a dew days, sanitize, and if you want to get blind drunk without worrying about driving and the multitasking nightmare of trying to hold conversations with too many people. Getting blind drunk is one option, thinking about the original meanings behind the holidays is another.

And if you hate the holidays on principle have another regular ol autistic day.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2020, 11:53 am

Researchers from The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center conducted a national survey about how Americans plan to spend the holidays. In a press release, they say they found that, while a majority plan on taking precautions due to the pandemic, a significant number may be putting themselves at risk. According to the results, about two-in-five Americans (38%) still plan on attending gatherings with more than 10 people. And about a third of the respondents said they will not be requiring people to wear masks.

Source: About 40% of Americans intend to celebrate Thanksgiving with at least 10 people, study finds

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2020, 3:22 pm

In Arabic they call this species what would be literally translated to "Roman-Greek rooster".

Funny as it is not native neither to Turkey nor to Greece.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2020, 3:38 pm

Thanksgiving has definitely NOT been banned or cancelled!!

Mrs. Fnord and I are observing the holiday at our home, just the two of us.  There is no turkey or ham on our menu.  Naia the cat will get her own share, based on feline dietary requirements -- nothing to upset her tummy.

We may do Skype or Zoom connections with relatives.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

StayFrosty
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2020, 6:11 pm

They may take my right to feast, but they will never take my right to drink!

Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2020, 8:29 pm

More specifically the large thanksgiving gatherings and visitations have been canceled. The holiday itself still exists of course. But the primary component of packing many people into a house to have a feast has been canceled.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2020, 11:30 pm

In California, Governor Newsom issued the following rules, gatherings over the holiday must include people from no more than three households, be held outdoors, last no longer than two hours and guests can only go inside to use the restroom - so long as restrooms are sanitized often. Masks can only be taken off to eat and drink, guests must be sat six feet apart and singing, shouting and chanting are 'strongly discouraged'.

Source: 'If my Aunt comes over, can I throw her a slice of turkey from the window?' Stars ridicule Californian 'Emperor' Gov. Newsom's 'ridiculous' Thanksgiving crackdown that bans singing and limits the holiday to a two-hour outdoor event

Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2020, 11:42 pm

I guess people being outdoors for two hours in late November doesn't carry as much of a health risk in California as it would in other states where it will be much colder.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2020, 11:48 pm

I suspect that our Thanksgiving will proceed as normally.

In a typical year, we should have about 20 to 25 people including guests, most of whom I've never met. Often, the guests include people who work at nearby packing plants where there have been serious outbreaks of covid. It also sometimes includes scholarship baseball players from a nearby university. There will also be at least three people in their 60s, one 80s, and two in their 90s.

One of the guests that we have had on occasion recently is quite impressive. He was one of the Lost Boys of Sudan and is easily one of the most polite and well spoken people I've ever met.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2020, 11:50 pm

Fnord wrote:
Thanksgiving has definitely NOT been banned or cancelled!!

Mrs. Fnord and I are observing the holiday at our home, just the two of us.  There is no turkey or ham on our menu.  Naia the cat will get her own share, based on feline dietary requirements -- nothing to upset her tummy.

We may do Skype or Zoom connections with relatives.

I'm already getting tired of turkey and it isn't Thanksgiving yet.

About a week ago, I got a smoked turkey at the grocery store. I usually get one around Thanksgiving and one around Christmas. Last year, I just got one because it was so pathetic that I saw no need to get another.

In the interest of safety, I would be more than happy to greatly limit our celebration. I've already had covid-19 at least once, possibly again recently but without being tested, and am not worried about myself.

A local family I know had a birthday celebration at the end of September. A number of them got covid-19 and one of them, about eight to ten years younger than me, passed away from it.