Is It Normal To Play The Same Game Again And Again....

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2020, 3:24 pm

I used to have a Playstation 2 and I played the same game again and again for years until the disc wore out. Then I gave it to my cousins son as he had jothing. I did have around 60 games... But most of my playing was with the one game. Grand Tourismo 4. I bought it when the prices dropped as PS3 was coming out so I had £100 off.

Now my nephew brought his Nintendo Switch. I started playing a racing car game called Asphalt 9 Legends. I liked the game. About six to eight months later with this lockdown and me spending too much time online, and not able to do too many other things, I bought a Switch, and it has really improved my hand and eye co-ordination as I had difficulties getting my hands to work, and difficulties in getting my eyes to focus on quicker close up things like a TV film which kept changing scenes (Some films do it so often it is hard to watch them). So my hands and eyes have seen an improvement. But I am playing the same game for at least four to six hours a day, and sometimes up to 14 to 15 hours a day. The same game. I don't think I am addicted, as I was not able to do a lot (I love model railways and making things for them but after the last burnout I struggled to have the concentration, and to get my hands and eyes doing what I wanted them to do with smaller things...).
But anyway. My nephew played the game for an hour now and then maybe once a week and gets bored. He could not see how I did not get bored playing the same game again and again. But I like it. (He did jot mind when he had his Switch as I was getting him up levels in the game). But is this an aspie trait? Is it what they call "Hyperfocus?"

But here is a typical example... On this game one can set up a club where one gets other racers to join and together you can earn points by playing and the more points your club gets, the more rewards you share. I think either every week, or every two weeks the rewards start again at zero and the club members decide if they want to relocate or go it alone etc. (One has to start again at the bottom if one changes clubs half way through so few do this).
But as an example here is the club and the reputation points which are given the more races one completes.

Mountain Goat 96,213
Mr Driver 2,734
Mountain Fox 1,401 (My nephew)
Driver 5575 940
Driver 5570 400
Driver 6808 30
Driver 4989 8
Driver 6744 0

(I may kick driver 6744 out of the club if I get many more members as we are only allowed 20 members and he has not earned us any points. Leave him in for now to see if he plays. At least Driver 4989 did something and gave us 8 points).

Now I have only really had a Switch for about a month, and the points above are due to about 7 or 10 days of playing? Can't remeber when it last went to zero. So out combined club points are 101,778.

But what I am saying is in my club (You are welcome to join. My club is called FANTASTIC FLYERS), I am by far in the lead. I expected others to play more but ok. It is up to them. But I then thought that maybe I am playing more then the average person? Is this what is known as hyperfocus?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2020, 3:45 pm

][ used to play World of Warcraft, Mass Effect, or Star Wars: The Force Unleashed almost every day, until I could almost win them in my sleep.  Then I grew tired of the video-game culture and went back to TTRPGs like AD&D and Traveller.  Sadly, I have not met in-person with any gaming groups since January (... or February ...?), so I've been busy honing my software for generating cities, planets, star systems, and characters.  I've even written a few "prequel" adventures for some that have been in canon since about 1980.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Last edited by Fnord on 16 Nov 2020, 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2020, 3:55 pm

I used to play an online game on the PS2 called "Delta Force Blck Hawk Down". I had to re-start the game a few times because I found out that when one comes first in the leaderboard, not long after one is first for a while, the account is blocked. I had first place a few times for using the machine gun. On average I had 10 kills to every death I had. I was even long distance sniping with the machine gun rather then use a sniper with a scope (Hehe!).

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2020, 3:58 pm

Just revisited a couple of levels on the original Quake. I bought this game new the tail end of 1997!

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2020, 4:12 pm

I would say that 15 - 16 hours a day is excessive
but depends on what lifestyle you have and what you enjoy in life i guess

I am surprised your eye's haven't fallen out
I play Xbox One and have to say that i generally can't play for too many hours in a row
as i get tired and some times a little bored (or lose the enthusiasm)

I kind of try and limit myself to playing Xbox one until the end of the night.
Playing for perhaps an hour or two after doing some study or creative work.
And after the xbox, i may watch an hour of netflix etc. in order to wind down from the
xbox playing.

I guess xbox is a normal hobby now, although for many its a replacement for doing
half the things you do on computer games in real life

that is a shame, as quiet a lot of the people who play these games have great potential
in many areas of life but instead spend their time on a game console

don't get me wrong, i am not against people doing that, especially if it makes them happy
i wonder sometimes however if some of the gamer's are missing out on things that they could
do in real life, like learning to do karate / judo / kickboxing and fighting in real tournaments

or learning some of the more contemporary sports,
hell, for some, even joining the special forces and learning to go on real life missions

i wish i was younger and had less health problems
as i would

still
all good fun console games

I am presently playing a game called the division.
Quiet fun.

Jingo8
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Nov 2020, 4:38 pm

Hey,

It's "normal" to some extent, everyone finds a game they love. Aspies do it more I believe. One explanation from academics is that our lack of imagination and such makes it more difficult to picture playing and enjoying a new game so we go back to games and films and such that we know. An explanation that's true for me is that life and the world takes effort, and investing in a new game or film comes with more effort and no certainty it's worth it, so when I'm struggling I want easy down time and enjoyment, so I stick to things I know and am comfortable with.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2020, 11:51 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
I used to have a Playstation 2 and I played the same game again and again for years until the disc wore out. Then I gave it to my cousins son as he had jothing. I did have around 60 games... But most of my playing was with the one game. Grand Tourismo 4. I bought it when the prices dropped as PS3 was coming out so I had £100 off.

Now my nephew brought his Nintendo Switch. I started playing a racing car game called Asphalt 9 Legends. I liked the game. About six to eight months later with this lockdown and me spending too much time online, and not able to do too many other things, I bought a Switch, and it has really improved my hand and eye co-ordination as I had difficulties getting my hands to work, and difficulties in getting my eyes to focus on quicker close up things like a TV film which kept changing scenes (Some films do it so often it is hard to watch them). So my hands and eyes have seen an improvement. But I am playing the same game for at least four to six hours a day, and sometimes up to 14 to 15 hours a day. The same game. I don't think I am addicted, as I was not able to do a lot (I love model railways and making things for them but after the last burnout I struggled to have the concentration, and to get my hands and eyes doing what I wanted them to do with smaller things...).
But anyway. My nephew played the game for an hour now and then maybe once a week and gets bored. He could not see how I did not get bored playing the same game again and again. But I like it. (He did jot mind when he had his Switch as I was getting him up levels in the game). But is this an aspie trait? Is it what they call "Hyperfocus?"

But here is a typical example... On this game one can set up a club where one gets other racers to join and together you can earn points by playing and the more points your club gets, the more rewards you share. I think either every week, or every two weeks the rewards start again at zero and the club members decide if they want to relocate or go it alone etc. (One has to start again at the bottom if one changes clubs half way through so few do this).
But as an example here is the club and the reputation points which are given the more races one completes.

Mountain Goat 96,213
Mr Driver 2,734
Mountain Fox 1,401 (My nephew)
Driver 5575 940
Driver 5570 400
Driver 6808 30
Driver 4989 8
Driver 6744 0

(I may kick driver 6744 out of the club if I get many more members as we are only allowed 20 members and he has not earned us any points. Leave him in for now to see if he plays. At least Driver 4989 did something and gave us 8 points).

Now I have only really had a Switch for about a month, and the points above are due to about 7 or 10 days of playing? Can't remeber when it last went to zero. So out combined club points are 101,778.

But what I am saying is in my club (You are welcome to join. My club is called FANTASTIC FLYERS), I am by far in the lead. I expected others to play more but ok. It is up to them. But I then thought that maybe I am playing more then the average person? Is this what is known as hyperfocus?

I mean playing the same game again isn't really abnormal. I have over 4 thousand hours on skyrim but. It really depends on how much you are playing. If you actually got 10 days of playtime in a month you'd have to be playing it atleast 6 hours a day and that's unhealthy.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2020, 4:54 am

Computer games are great but they can be a life waster, im a bit wary of this now, how much of my life do i want to give away to this?

- George Bernie Shaw

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2020, 1:23 pm

It is very common and even "normal" for Autistic people to like to do things over and over again.

Wreck It Ralph

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2020, 2:35 pm

skibum wrote:
It is very common and even "normal" for Autistic people to like to do things over and over again.

Is it normal for my nephew to get bored of playing the same game when he has only been playing for 30 minutes when he claims to like the game, but he says he gets bored, and then keeps wanting to change games? I only have one game so far on my system because I like it and I did not see the need to get any more. But my nephew kept wanting more games. Is that normal?

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2020, 3:10 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
skibum wrote:

Is it normal for my nephew to get bored of playing the same game when he has only been playing for 30 minutes when he claims to like the game, but he says he gets bored, and then keeps wanting to change games? I only have one game so far on my system because I like it and I did not see the need to get any more. But my nephew kept wanting more games. Is that normal?
Yes. That is very normal especially if he is an nt boy! :D

Wreck It Ralph