My apartment neighbor threatened to shoot me earlier today

Page 1 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 12:35 am

Once again I had had enough of her shoving her sound system in to my space, often to the point where vibrations can be felt in my furniture.
Sometimes till 2am.

After lunch I was in breezeway heading over to office building to do laundry.

She comes out of her apartment behind me, calls out out something along the lines of "Hiya, how ya doing!"

I reply along the lines of, "I've had my fill of you forcing your sound system in to my home, I want you gone."

Nothing much if anything was said after that.

She beats me to office and laundry building, even holds the door for me.

I said thanks for holding the door then I go straight to manager's office with Lisa behind me, tell manager, I've had my fill of Lisa forcing her sound system in to my home, I want her gone.

Then an argument which contains elements of a shouting match develops.

Somehow the manager managed to break it up and I went across hall to do my laundry.
And Lisa leaves.

Some time later, in a proportion of maybe 30 minutes, 45 minutes, I'm not sure, Lisa comes in to laundry room and pushes door closed behind her.

The manager is calling at her from office across the hall.

I now don't remember if Lisa said anything else before she said that I might want to rethink getting in peoples faces because the next one might take a gun and shoot me.

Say what?

I yelled something to the effect of are you threatening to shoot me, then yelled for the manager Alana to call the police.

Somehow I got past Lisa to the office, or maybe she went across the hall first, I am not sure, and the manager gave me the office phone and I dialed 911.

Talked to them with the manager and Lisa both right there with Lisa yelling at me to give her the phone so she can tell them what she really said.

I didn't. Gave phone to manager and went back across hall to deal with my laundry.

Before I got out of office Lisa had called the Police on her smartphone and I watched her tell the police that she didn't threaten to shoot me she warned me that the next time I get in someone's face they might take a gun and shoot me.

Say what?

2 local Police eventually arrived.
One interviewed me.
The other interviewed Lisa and the manager.

Before Lisa had returned I'd gone to my apartment and gotten my calendar where I've been noting what times of day and night when I can hear and/or feel her sound system.
Showed it to manager, showed it to Police.

I hear Lisa tell the Police that I had lunged at her and spit in her face.

(and given how my back has been within moments of sending me to the ER a few times this last week, [i]CAN I lunge?)[/i]

Also heard Lisa tell the police that she keeps her sound system so low the neighbors can't hear it & then a sentence later she tells them that she is hard of hearing.

After a little in and out, both Police come to me say, don't deal with her any more, just call them, be it noon or midnight, just call them.

Then after they left the manager told me she had stressed to the Police that no, I did not lunge at Lisa as Lisa claimed.
(that would be a bit of a trick to do when you are leaning on a cane)

Manager also also asked me if the Police had asked if I wanted to press charges.
Question caught me off guard & no they didn't.

that was about 5 or 6 hours ago.

Now imagine what it did to me who has autism, cPTSD, ME/CFS, fibromyalgia, IBS, and a few other things going on with their defective body.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 1:10 am

Do you have conversations with other residents who live upstairs or downstairs from Lisa?
Do you have conversations with any residents who live next door to Lisa?
If any of them are willing to discuss Lisa’s music/sound system with the manager, the truth should come out quickly.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 1:21 am

Sylkat wrote:
Do you have conversations with other residents who live upstairs or downstairs from Lisa?
If any of them are willing to discuss Lisa’s music/sound system with the manager, the truth should come out quickly.

I am the resident above Lisa. There is no resident below. She is not liked here.

The previous manager allowed her to move in "because she's been evicted from the all previous places she has lived, let's give her a chance to learn how to get along with people" Wording not quite 100% literal at this point on the calendar but that was the concept expressed.

Today the current manager made it known that she is not the previous manager, things will be different.

And sometime in the last 12 to 18 months the Police got involved in an altercation between Lisa and a resident in the next building over. My understanding is that ended with Lisa not allowed to go to that building any more.

And speaking of the current manager, it was interesting to watch Lisa tell the manager "I didn't threaten him." then the manager coolly look Lisa right in the eyes and say, "Yes, you did."

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 1:31 am

Sylkat wrote:

Oh, to directly answer those questions, I don't talk to them much, they are 30-something, 40-something females with various ages of young children except for one teen child & with me being almost 60 in bad health with no children, my life doesn't intersect theirs except for living here.

Last edited by kitesandtrainsandcats on 24 Nov 2020, 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 1:32 am

Quote:
Also heard Lisa tell the police that she keeps her sound system so low the neighbors can't hear it & then a sentence later she tells them that she is hard of hearing.

After a little in and out, both Police come to me say, don't deal with her any more, just call them, be it noon or midnight, just call them.

I would strongly recommend that the next she turns up her sound system so loud; too follow this advise and directly call the police and let them deal with it.

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
The previous manager allowed her to move in "because she's been evicted from the all previous places she has lived, let's give her a chance to learn how to get along with people" Wording not quite 100% literal at this point on the calendar but that was the concept expressed.

That really comes across a clear warning signs that something is horribly, horribly wrong with her. And I estimate the chances that this time it will be different very low.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 2:37 am

You are doing the right thing by documenting and reporting.
If her music is loud enough to hear, record it when she starts playing it loudly.
Then make the calls.
I truly believe that she is disrupting other people’s lives as well as yours.
I am sorry that you are going through this.
Do NOT feel you have to just tolerate this, you have a right to a peaceful home.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 3:54 am

Sylkat wrote:
You are doing the right thing by documenting and reporting.
If her music is loud enough to hear, record it when she starts playing it loudly.
Then make the calls.
I truly believe that she is disrupting other people’s lives as well as yours.
I am sorry that you are going through this.
Do NOT feel you have to just tolerate this, you have a right to a peaceful home.

Thanks!
Oh she is indeed disrupting other residents' lives. I have seen it, have overheard the arguments, and have watched her park in one of the 2 disabled parking places out front when she doesn't have the permit.

There was one time this summer where 4 of us were in the hallway arguing with her about her loud music, which she told us to our faces was off when we were all standing there hearing it.

Pathological liar is a phrase which comes to mind.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 Nov 2020, 4:02 am

I doubt she'll be there much longer at this rate, since the manager and other residents "have her number" and are wise to her. Just do the right thing at all times so your own record is clean, and do as others have said - record the music then contact the police as they said you should. She is likely to get an official-looking letter very soon...

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 4:18 am

Excellent point!
Always follow the rules, make sure your record is spotless!
Whenever there is another incident or more incidents involving you/ her, you want the manager and your neighbors to agree you are never making problems, always obey the rules, have no complaints against you.
I agree that she could be a pathological liar, and when police have to look into a situation, you want a perfect history at your residence!
This is difficult for you, but you are doing everything right!
It will work out!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 5:10 am

OP just needs to keep his cool and continue to document and take action, the law is on his side. but he also needs to watch his back and maintain situational awareness and not be distracted.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 5:20 am

auntblabby wrote:
OP just needs to keep his cool and continue to document and take action, the law is on his side. but he also needs to watch his back and maintain situational awareness and not be distracted.

Yep. but with the ME/CFS there are times I can not maintain situational awareness.
It is not a matter of trying harder, you simply can not, it is a documented component of the disease process.

With pretty much all the males in my family except defective body me being military, situational awareness is a concept I well understand.

And somewhere along the way Lisa said to either me and/or the manager and/or the Police something along the lines of that since our state has "stand your ground" laws it was okay for her to tell me what she did.

Oh? Really? Dad's brother in law is a retired deputy sheriff a couple counties to the west of here, a cousin is married to a state trooper in the next state west, and a fellow in our local creative writers group is a prison guard, I'm pretty sure they would disagree with Lisa on that.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 5:29 am

auntblabby wrote:

Yep. but with the ME/CFS there are times I can not maintain situational awareness.
It is not a matter of trying harder, you simply can not, it is a documented component of the disease process.

With pretty much all the males in my family except defective body me being military, situational awareness is a concept I well understand.

And somewhere along the way Lisa said to either me and/or the manager and/or the Police something along the lines of that since our state has "stand your ground" laws it was okay for her to tell me what she did.

Oh? Really? Dad's brother in law is a retired deputy sheriff a couple counties to the west of here, a cousin is married to a state trooper in the next state west, and a fellow in our local creative writers group is a prison guard, I'm pretty sure they would disagree with Lisa on that.

from one aspie to another, i hope you are able to eventually migrate to a friendlier place.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 5:35 am

auntblabby wrote:
from one aspie to another, i hope you are able to eventually migrate to a friendlier place.

Thanks.
My preference is for her to be evicted & threatening other residents is a documented lease violation. I've lived here 12 years, her maybe 2 years.
The location of both the apartments and the county seat farm burg it is in suits my needs almost but not quite perfectly.
Best living location I've ever had.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 5:41 am

auntblabby wrote:

Thanks.
My preference is for her to be evicted & threatening other residents is a documented lease violation. I've lived here 12 years, her maybe 2 years.
The location of both the apartments and the county seat farm burg it is in suits my needs almost but not quite perfectly.
Best living location I've ever had.

you will then just have to marshall all your resources as best you can until the storm blows over. but also, be aware that where that bad person came from, others will eventually come sometime down the road, as well. IOW one can never really rest and not be vigilant.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 5:43 am

auntblabby wrote:
but also, be aware that where that bad person came from, others will eventually come sometime down the road, as well.

Truth.
Simply truth.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 5:46 am

Was saying to my brother, is there any better place for it to happen than right in the apartment office and any better witness to have than the new apartment manager, it's almost like some kind of divine intervention arranged it to be there to prevent the "he said - she said" thing.