Do you ever watch autistic YouTube channels?

Page 4 of 6 [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Yes, and I have a few favorite ones 38%  38%  [ 27 ]
Yes, but I don't have any favorite ones 30%  30%  [ 21 ]
No 28%  28%  [ 20 ]
None of the above 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 71

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 6:17 pm

Sometimes, I usually just scroll through my recommended list and watch whatever looks interesting and for sure I have watched some about autism by autistic people. That said I don't have any favorites, but may keep an eye on this thread to see if any posted about here look interesting.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 2:07 am

No. It's rare that I go on YouTube's website itself because when I did they started shoving an overlay on the page that wouldn't go away unless I agreed to their privacy terms. I sidestepped it with a few cunning tricks for a while, but it kept fighting back. The privacy terms were too long to digest and some of the bits I saw weren't very nice. And Google have done some nasty things in its pursuit of profit, such as shoving ads into everything, and are one of the worst offenders for tracking people behind their backs. So if I find a YouTube URL and want to see the video, I just use a program to download the video without visiting their website, which suits me much better. Not the smallest advantage is that these ads people complain about that interrupt the video don't happen with downloads. They must be a royal pain in the butt.

So I can't really access channels directly, and am limited to what I can find elsewhere, e.g. through search engines and URLs that people alert me to from time to time. I didn't know there were any autism YouTube channels (don't even quite know what a channel is - some kind of glorified playlist I guess). My downloading program might be able to batch-download the contents of a channel, so if I knew of any URLs for them, there's a chance I could get to see them without compromising my fussy browsing policies.

I'm curious about them. I may or may not find them useful. I tend to get put off very easily by any presentation that doesn't comply with my picky criteria (I hate being preached to, I hate anything that seems to support or promote values I disapprove of, I dislike bias, being talked down to, and anything "over-presented," i.e. not just calm, plain talking where the content is allowed to speak for itself without too much help from the "let's make it interesting" industry). And I often find it harder to learn from videos than I do from written material, because the former is harder to navigate - short-term memory and comprehension impairments I suppose.

But for all that, I'm curious. So I've now downloaded most of the videos people here have linked to - one or two of the URLs are actually channels rather than single videos, and my downloader does download the whole lot with a couple of keypresses, so as long as I don't run out of HD space I've got a lot of new stuff to review. Looks like some of these channel things have quite a lot of videos. Some of them look as if they might be pretty useful if they live up to their titles.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 8:16 pm

starkid wrote:
I found one that I used to watch: https://invidiou.site/watch?v=RGkzTIG_azU

The link doesn't seem to be working.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 9:08 pm

^
Curious - I get a "not found" error when I try to browse to it, but my YouTube downloading program is able to download the video (even though it's not a YouTube video).
Try this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGkzTIG_azU
It's the same video ID but it's hosted on YouTube as well as Invidou. Title should be

Autism and Asperger's - Tips for Sleep Issues_Problems (insomnia)

As it's a YT video, it might also play directly here if I get the BBcode right:

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 10:13 pm

^^ Thanks.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 10:30 pm

^
No problem. It seems the original domain has closed down. Apparently it's an alternative front end to YouTube, so possibly Google attacked it. Don't know if the domain allows users to avoid YouTube's ads and tracking, but I can't see any other reason why it would have existed. This alternative version of it works:

https://invidious.exonip.de/watch?v=RGkzTIG_azU

and here's a list of supposedly working instances of the domain, the top one being the one I used to create the above link:

https://redirect.invidious.io/

Looks like it may be a good place for anybody to use if they don't trust Google but want to watch YouTube videos.

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2021, 1:45 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
I didn't know there were any autism YouTube channels (don't even quite know what a channel is - some kind of glorified playlist I guess).
There are dozens, or maybe hundreds, of YouTube channels that are solely dedicated to autism. A YouTube channel is where a person uploads their videos to - each person has their own channel. A playlist is a bit different - anyone with a YouTube channel can create several playlists within their channel. It is also possible for any registered YouTube user to create playlists of videos which were created by other YouTube users. One playlist can include videos from many channels.

http://www.autscape.org/

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2021, 4:23 pm

^
Thanks.
I tried downloading a channel and it was immense - ran out of HD space before it was done, but at least I've got lots of videos to look at now. So, my current thinking, based on my observations and what you've said, is that channels and playlists are much the same thing, i.e. collections of videos, except that a channel might have a lot more videos and they'd generally be by the same author. Whether a channel or a playlist, there must be some unifying theme, even if it's only a playlist maker's collection of stuff he happened to like.

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2021, 1:19 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
So, my current thinking, based on my observations and what you've said, is that channels and playlists are much the same thing, i.e. collections of videos, except that a channel might have a lot more videos and they'd generally be by the same author.
Yes, both channels and playlists are collections of videos.
All of the videos in a channel are usually uploaded by just one person. Those videos are either created by that person or not. For example: some people just upload to their channels video clips by artists that they like, or clips from TV shows that they like, etc.

http://www.autscape.org/

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2021, 1:24 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
^
Thanks.
I tried downloading a channel and it was immense - ran out of HD space before it was done, but at least I've got lots of videos to look at now. So, my current thinking, based on my observations and what you've said, is that channels and playlists are much the same thing, i.e. collections of videos, except that a channel might have a lot more videos and they'd generally be by the same author. Whether a channel or a playlist, there must be some unifying theme, even if it's only a playlist maker's collection of stuff he happened to like.

A channel is basically one user's uploads.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2021, 4:54 pm

A "channel" is just a "show".

One person's show. Like a radio podcast. They vary from the most rank amateur to the most slick.

You dont need to "download" them either. It's Utube.

Just go to Utube, and just watch. Type "Austism fromthe inside", or "AnMish", and that producer's show will appear. And you can watch as many, or as few of that person's product as you want, as often, or as unoften, as you please.

You can also click "subscribe" to a show you like. And you can join the rabble and type comments about the show.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2021, 4:55 pm

KenG wrote:
Never.  I refuse to let YouTube videos do my thinking for me.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2021, 6:07 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
A "channel" is just a "show".

One person's show. Like a radio podcast. They vary from the most rank amateur to the most slick.

You dont need to "download" them either. It's Utube.

Just go to Utube, and just watch. Type "Austism fromthe inside", or "AnMish", and that producer's show will appear. And you can watch as many, or as few of that person's product as you want, as often, or as unoften, as you please.

You can also click "subscribe" to a show you like. And you can join the rabble and type comments about the show.

Thanks, but it's very easy for me to download them, and I get two bonuses - Google can't track me, and once I have the download there's no risk of losing the ability to watch it (the upload might subsequently get removed and my internet connection might go slow or stop working).

As I've previously said, I hate YouTube and I'd really rather not go there. Luckily there seems to be no advantage to doing so. For people who prefer streaming to downloading, these alternative websites do seem rather better, as I've been finding out for the last few days - they have all YouTube's content and they also have a proxy setting to get round region restrictions. I'm pretty sure they also have the same search options as YouTube does. The whole layout looks much the same, just a different colour I think. Also there's a feature in Media Player Classic these days that will stream YouTube videos if you put a copy of Youtube-dl.exe into its program folder, and it will save the video to the HD if you ask it to.

Fixxer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2021, 7:46 pm

Aspergers from the inside

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 6:02 pm

There have been a couple autistic you tuber channels; though, these days, not that much...

Millipede
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Jul 2021, 6:44 pm

KenG wrote:

No, somehow watching people talk about personal subjects while staring at a camera makes me deeply uncomfortable, and I would rather not watch videos about autistic people that wasn't made by them.
I never understood vlogging, what is interesting about strangers' personal issues ? Sure, you might learn about how they deal with their own autism, their daily lives and such, but why ? There is no conversation, just listening to someone talk to their webcam, I don't get it.