Do you ever watch autistic YouTube channels?

Page 5 of 6 [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Yes, and I have a few favorite ones 38%  38%  [ 27 ]
Yes, but I don't have any favorite ones 30%  30%  [ 21 ]
No 28%  28%  [ 20 ]
None of the above 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 71

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 12:19 am

Millipede wrote:
KenG wrote:

No, somehow watching people talk about personal subjects while staring at a camera makes me deeply uncomfortable, and I would rather not watch videos about autistic people that wasn't made by them.
I never understood vlogging, what is interesting about strangers' personal issues ? Sure, you might learn about how they deal with their own autism, their daily lives and such, but why ? There is no conversation, just listening to someone talk to their webcam, I don't get it.

Why read people's issues written in text on a forum then? It's the same thing.

Millipede
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Jul 2021, 7:28 am

hurtloam wrote:
Millipede wrote:
KenG wrote:

No, somehow watching people talk about personal subjects while staring at a camera makes me deeply uncomfortable, and I would rather not watch videos about autistic people that wasn't made by them.
I never understood vlogging, what is interesting about strangers' personal issues ? Sure, you might learn about how they deal with their own autism, their daily lives and such, but why ? There is no conversation, just listening to someone talk to their webcam, I don't get it.

Here there is a conversation, it's different. I don't mean to hurt anyone when I said I don't understand vlogging, there's nothing wrong with liking it, I just personally don't get listening to someone when there's no conversation. I wouldn't be interested in forums if you could only read post about people's personal experiences and not reply.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 7:36 am

Millipede wrote:
Here there is a conversation, it's different. I don't mean to hurt anyone when I said I don't understand vlogging, there's nothing wrong with liking it, I just personally don't get listening to someone when there's no conversation. I wouldn't be interested in forums if you could only read post about people's personal experiences and not reply.

The other great thing about print is that you can skip the irrelevant bits and repetition and not miss the next actual point. Audio is incredibly tedious and hard to search.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 8:23 am

Dear_one wrote:
The other great thing about print is that you can skip the irrelevant bits and repetition and not miss the next actual point. Audio is incredibly tedious and hard to search.

Yes it's much more difficult to navigate. Well-organised, clearly written text is much easier. I just wish more of the people who wrote it would do that and get to the point without woffling. I would think they'd get more readers if they did.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 8:36 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
Dear_one wrote:

Yes it's much more difficult to navigate. Well-organised, clearly written text is much easier. I just wish more of the people who wrote it would do that and get to the point without woffling. I would think they'd get more readers if they did.

There are a lot of writers who don't really get the point themselves, nor expect their readers to. They write about their day of exposure for the benefit of readers who can't tell the difference between actors in white coats and doctors, but like to pretend they have valid opinions. I have given quite a few media interviews, and only one reporter, working for a tiny newspaper, didn't try to interpret what I said. Where I was too vague, they were too.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 9:59 am

Millipede wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
Millipede wrote:
KenG wrote:

I gotta admit I dont actually get much out of autistic vlogs either now that I think about it. Folks who are NOT autistic can benifit from them more than those who are already diagnosed like moi - non autistic folks who need to be educated about autistics- or folks who suspect that they are on the spectrum who can compare notes to someone who is diagnosed. Sometimes I relate to their issues, and sometimes not.

To be honest the only two I watch much are two young ladies: one is a blonde hottie from Denmark, and the other is brunette hottie from the US. I could stare at either one while they read me the phone book. They are the only two ever watched regularly. The dark haired doesnt post much anymore.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 1:50 am

Millipede wrote:
The information can be useful to people who have the same issues.

Just plain curiosity or something to do when bored.

Sometimes they talk about things that affect the whole autism community, not just themselves.

Personally it was a revelation for me to find people whose intonation resonated with me instead of irritating or fatiguing me. Sometimes it's just soothing to listen to a relatively monotone voice.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 1:51 am

Millipede wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
Millipede wrote:
KenG wrote:

I see what you mean. There's no back and forth conversation. You can't participate.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 1:53 am

Dear_one wrote:
Millipede wrote:

Double tap on YouTube and you can skip 10seconds or move the bar at the bottom of the video.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 1:58 am

Millipede wrote:

Actually, there can be some conversation in the comment section of a video site.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 6:36 am

hurtloam wrote:
[quote="Dear_one"

Double tap on YouTube and you can skip 10seconds or move the bar at the bottom of the video.[/quote]

I am well aware of those, and also the video previews that the slider can pop up. It is still incredibly tedious, especially on a longer recording.

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 7:06 pm

I only know of 2 hat I watch occasionally on YouTube. Purple Ella is pretty cool

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 2:55 am

I've watched Neurodivergent Rebel before. She has some interesting topics.

chaosmos
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jul 2021, 4:16 am

Udinaas wrote:
I haven't delved very deeply into autistic youtube but I recently started watching Aspergers From the Inside. He's relatable and I've learned a lot.

League Girl, if you think JP Sears is hard to figure out you should try watching Jreg :lol:

He (guy from Aspergers from the Inside) ran an online Autism PD that I did for school which basically prompted me asking myself if I am ASD. I think he’s relatable!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 2:17 am

Some of you might remember the An Mish channel by Maja Toudal. Her channel now goes under the name “An Autistic Psychologist”
Her Channel
She authored a book that came out in 2016 “ What Your Child With Asperger's Wants You To Know: And How You Can Help Them” available in the usual places.

Congratulations Maja.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kuze
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Sep 2021, 4:17 pm

starkid wrote:
I occasionally watch individual videos; I don't really bother with whole channels.

Years ago there were a few YouTubers who each had several autism-related videos that I watched, but I don't pay attention to anyone's name on YouTube so I couldn't tell you who they are. There was one I watched mainly because he had a really soothing and attractive voice, but he was suspicious that his diagnosis was BS and so was I.

Mostly I watch men because the aspie women are just unbearable. I can't stand the bouncy, smiley, cutesy "look at me, isn't being an aspie cool and interesting!" But now I see men doing the fake overly expressive YouTube persona as well.

Honestly it seems like people who have whole channels devoted to being autistic and their opinions about autism are the most annoying try-hards and possibly even fakes; some of them are even trying to monetize their stupid channel where they offer little besides looking up definitions and s**t from the DSM and trying to generalize about everybody who's autistic, so I'm more likely to avoid someone who has an autism channel rather than just a few isolated videos.

The isolated videos seem more authentic.

Totally agree.

kuze