Do you ever watch autistic YouTube channels?

Page 1 of 6 [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Yes, and I have a few favorite ones 38%  38%  [ 27 ]
Yes, but I don't have any favorite ones 30%  30%  [ 21 ]
No 28%  28%  [ 20 ]
None of the above 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 71

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 3:58 pm

If so, which ones are your favourites?
What do you like about them?
Recently, I discovered Mind Your Autistic Brain with Social AUtie.
Yesterday, she interviewed Mordi BenHamou, aka The Autistic Guitarist, who published an autobiographical book called "Autism, Falafel, and Rock&Roll". Mordi shared his autism story, his insights into what has helped him the most, what he hopes people could gain from his book, and all things science research about us autistics. I loved this interview. Grab your favorite cup of coffee or tea and join the conversation:

http://www.autscape.org/

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 4:14 pm

It is through a youtube channel that I watched that spurred me on to see one of my doctors to ask if I was on the spectrum. I am on the list to be assessed.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 4:37 pm

Nope, only ones I have watched lately were political ones by left or right or center, and abandoned places.

BTW I can't figure out where JP Sears stands, is he center or left or right, I can't tell. He seems to go for all sides through satire.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 8:51 pm

I haven't delved very deeply into autistic youtube but I recently started watching Aspergers From the Inside. He's relatable and I've learned a lot.

League Girl, if you think JP Sears is hard to figure out you should try watching Jreg :lol:

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 9:13 pm

Yes.

No particular favorites.
But I like them all as libraries of references...

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 9:27 pm

I watch them a lot. I have a few favourite channels.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 10:00 pm

Is autism more common in people or YouTube channels? I thought only people could have autism. :nerdy:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2020, 1:30 am

I occasionally watch individual videos; I don't really bother with whole channels.

Years ago there were a few YouTubers who each had several autism-related videos that I watched, but I don't pay attention to anyone's name on YouTube so I couldn't tell you who they are. There was one I watched mainly because he had a really soothing and attractive voice, but he was suspicious that his diagnosis was BS and so was I.

Mostly I watch men because the aspie women are just unbearable. I can't stand the bouncy, smiley, cutesy "look at me, isn't being an aspie cool and interesting!" But now I see men doing the fake overly expressive YouTube persona as well.

Honestly it seems like people who have whole channels devoted to being autistic and their opinions about autism are the most annoying try-hards and possibly even fakes; some of them are even trying to monetize their stupid channel where they offer little besides looking up definitions and s**t from the DSM and trying to generalize about everybody who's autistic, so I'm more likely to avoid someone who has an autism channel rather than just a few isolated videos.

The isolated videos seem more authentic.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2020, 1:38 am

Wait I do remember watching several episodes of autism.com because the dad would say suspicious and negative s**t about his two adopted autistic kids, sometimes right in front of them. One time his daughter was sitting right next to him while he was filming a video and telling the whole world that she had been in the sixth grade for years.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2020, 7:05 am

I've never seen one. Got any links?
Re: "overly expressive" - on Zoom calls, I notice that my face is far more expressive than I would have guessed.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2020, 8:18 am

I've never seen one. I mostly use YouTube for music.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2020, 11:13 am

I have seen a few. The one I like the most are Princess Aspien. She has so much energy.

The one I liked the most was the one where she described one of her biggest meltdowns. She was on a bus hundreds of miles from home and another woman set her dress on fire. But it looks like she took this one down. It's a shame because it is a classic.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2020, 11:17 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Is autism more common in people or YouTube channels? I thought only people could have autism. :nerdy:

Some youtube channels certainly have traits. :P

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2020, 11:41 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Some youtube channels certainly have traits. :P

YouTube channels?

Some UTube channels are quite split off from reality- the definition of schizophrenia.

Like one channel that presents supposed UFO incidents -but illustrated by animation. It told the tale of American GIs in the Korean war encountering a flying saucer landing in battlefield area in what is now North Korea. The narrator set the stage for the story by stating that it was "hot and humid that day in the jungle...". North Korea has a climate similar to Wisconsin. It has no "jungles". :lol:

All UTube channels seem to have something like tourettes syndrome. Instead of unprovoked profanity they all have sudden commercials - plopped in at random- interrupting the narrator of the show in midsyllable! Very herky jerky!

But no...I have never seen a channel that was autistic! Actually there is ONE. A funny lady named Fran does a show about vintage electronic technology. Dissects things like 8 tracts one day, and the console NASA used to talk to the astronauts on the next show. Sort of an obsessed quirky show that has an autistic personality.

RubyWings91
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Nov 2020, 9:01 pm

Although I don't watch any Youtube Channels focused specifically on Autism, I have watched sites that have touched on topics related to it, such as Illuminauti and Youtubers who have it, such as TheMysteriousMrEnter.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2020, 11:31 pm

Actually - the first aspergers program on Utube to catch my eye, and still the only one I watch with frequency is "theAnMish". Just one young lady talking into the camera about her aspergers. I am biased towards liking her because the young Danish girl who does the show has model looks and is fascinating to look at(she has actually worked as professional model). But my hetero male bias aside she does have interesting things to say. Though if you watch a lot of her you tend to wish that she would smile more often.

"Aspergers from the Inside" I hear is a good program on Utube.