Videos by parents of autistic kids having meltdowns

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2020, 3:44 pm

Should they be posted on this site?

I find that an extreme invasion of privacy so allowing here it is furthering the damage.

The counter-argument is that it is too late. The videos are out there thus banning them is no more than virtue signaling.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

bcousins
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2020, 2:41 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The counter-argument is that it is too late. The videos are out there thus banning them is no more than virtue signaling.

Well, no. It's leading by example: We don't want this here, there's absolutely no place for it. It's a start, at least.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2020, 3:02 am

I'd rather see kids posting videos of autistic parents having meltdowns. :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2020, 2:11 am

Why limit it to meltdowns? :lol: Thought a sight of violence defines autism or it's entire issue?

Off Topic
Why not shutdowns?
Why not dwindling behaviors like exhaustion or freeze response? Was it because not 'disruptive' enough?

Might as well post videos of incontinence and how costly therapy and supplies involved. Nevermind why.

So do away. :P
Post videos about someone having panic attacks. The question is whether or not a person handles that.

Post videos of playing water. Not provoking enough?
Post videos of drowning, cause why not?

That's common, yes?
The same with posting videos of epileptic attacks. How about seizures?

Post videos about clumsiness and how the person fails at school or maybe at life with it. That would be an equal opportunity between so called HFA and LFA of all ages.

Post videos of wandering behavior... That would be interesting to be honest.
Since there are already countless videos about stimming, play and reactions to sensory issues.

Post videos about countless manifestations of obsessions and special interests. Obviously, the useful, the entertaining (usually verbal and awkward or involves organizing) and the so-called predetory bits are popular. Where are the other expressions?

Sigh.
While meltdowns are the most visible of all disruptive behaviors...

The question remains how often and why.
Wouldn't that be the parent's and caretaker's duty if an autistic couldn't?

Is that all autism has to 'offer'? :lol:

The only possible issue is people focusing so much on the memory and idea meltdowns, they'd neglect everything else - good and bad, just because of that one behavior.

:P Just like people focuses so much on the label being suspected as predators.
An innocent autistic doubts themselves or being doubted so much whether or not they are capable of it or is afraid they are guilty in anyway...
Just because of the label.

Honestly?
Accountability is a messy business.

I wouldn't mind myself -- there are countless medical based and behavioral related videos that do not need the consent of the doer already.
It's more to do with context and intent. Reactions, intended and unintended, is another.

To value the personal consent or emphasize individual privacy is up to the rest. :P

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2020, 11:22 pm

I think this is the last site that those videos should be posted on.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2020, 12:48 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Should they be posted on this site?

I find that an extreme invasion of privacy so allowing here it is furthering the damage.

Your first instinct is correct. Report such videos and they will be dispatched.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2020, 6:51 am

I would actually like to see an autistic person (preferably an adult actually) having a meltdown or an outburst, for educational intentions. I just want to see what other Aspies are like during a meltdown or outburst compared to what I was like. But there are only very few of those videos on YouTube, the rest are just of people talking about the last meltdown they had.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2020, 7:37 am

Though I realize how it can be humiliating, there is something I do need to mention. From my point of view, I have been trying to work out if I have had meltdowns so I need something to go on to try to compare.
I will not be looking for the purpose of making fun or to make anyone embarissed. I will be looking trying to work out what the meltdown experience looks like and try to work out what the one having the melt down feels like so I can try to compare with my thoughts and experiences of when I was a child and now that I am an adult.

The reason why this may seem strange, is that it is only relitively recently in my life that I have been able to have possible answers for the things that have happened in my life like the shutdowns. I never knew in the past what was wrong with me and I was never able to explain or put things into words like I can now as I did not have anything to compare my experiences with.
To this day only once have I found anyone who is able to describe what happens to me ad you can see that is virtual reality form in a Youtube link I found that is on my signature. It is not quite the same but it is almost there in that my eyesight turns black from the top down, while this childs virtual reality experience has his eyesight fading to black from the outside in towards the centre.

If it was not for the internet and people sharing their experiences, and their sons and daughters experiences when they are/were children, I would never have found out many of the things about myself that I now realize what they are. In the past I felt completely alone and isolated in my experiences, ans it is a horrible way to spend ones life.
Just realizing that someone somewhere knows what I am going through brings me relief.
Going back to september of 2019, I was in a complete mess when I managed to find out and go down to an autism drop in day that my local autism team arranged. I went and it was the very first time in my whole life where I met anyone who knew what I was experiencing. Prior to that, no one knew. Not even my parents and for years I had family members blame me for shutting down while I was in a shutdown when I had no way of defending myself, and the blaming me while I was shutting down was causing repeat shutdowns. It is horrible enough having a shutdown, but to be being blamed for having it while one is having it is worse.
So I learned clever ways to hide shutdowns both at home and where ever I was at the time (E.g. in the work enviroment). I would try to prop myself up and lean on something to make it look like I was not shutting down, or if I was on the floor while coming out of a shutdown, I would have pre-rehearsed ways to throw others off rhe scent like "I was looking for a little screw or washer" etc.
These must have been effective as when I last hit burnout the last time I worked over a year ago, I visited several months after and I explained to a member of staff what I had been experiencing and he didn't know. It came as a complete shock to me that somehow no one else had noticed! I know that I was working out the back on my own, and I was afraid that the many times I ended up on the floor or having to sit down if in a partial shutdown, that someone would notice or see me on the security camera, but no! Only once I was on the floor recovering when someone walked in and I said "I was looking for a washer" and the person thought nothing of it!

So yes. It came as a complete surprize that I was soo efficient in hiding shutdowns (Usually partial) in my daily life.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2020, 7:58 am

If the child objects then certainly, the video should be removed. And also the child (If of a suitable age to understand) should be asked first if it is ok.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2020, 8:10 am

Joe90 wrote:
I would actually like to see an autistic person (preferably an adult actually) having a meltdown or an outburst, for educational intentions. I just want to see what other Aspies are like during a meltdown or outburst compared to what I was like. But there are only very few of those videos on YouTube, the rest are just of people talking about the last meltdown they had.

Willow the site owner of the now closed Asperclick forum did one a number of years back. She was on the floor whimpering, crying. If some adult on here wants to do that I have no objection. She felt one coming on but was together enough to set the camera up before the meltdown got too much. Many meltdowns and shutdowns come on instantaneously thus no time to set up the camera.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2020, 8:19 am

I know for shutdowns that when one is in a partial shutdown going into a shutdown, one is not able to set cameras up, but one can while in a partial shutdown, but in a partial shutdown the outside "Me" looks normal? (If normal is the right word to describe me! Haha!)

Soliloquist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Dec 2020, 10:26 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Willow the site owner of the now closed Asperclick forum did one a number of years back. She was on the floor whimpering, crying. If some adult on here wants to do that I have no objection. She felt one coming on but was together enough to set the camera up before the meltdown got too much. Many meltdowns and shutdowns come on instantaneously thus no time to set up the camera.

She talks about that video here and links it in the description:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2020, 12:34 pm

Soliloquist wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

She talks about that video here and links it in the description:

Thanks, I had no idea that was still out there.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2020, 7:04 pm

I think I've watched the video of the girl having a meltdown before.

I do understand that meltdowns aren't intentional so the cue isn't always there for you to get the camera and film yourself.

"Ah! I'm so stressed! Sick of life! Wish I could put an end to the entire wretched earth! That loud noise is hurting my ears! It's all too much to take!...oh, hold on, I'm just going to fetch my camera, I want to get a good shot of this.." Nope, not going to as easy as that. :lol: :heart:

But if there was an adult who said that they don't mind being filmed by a loved one during a meltdown because they want to educate other people or whatever then that's the type of video I'm looking for.

When I used to have outbursts it wasn't really like a typical autism meltdown. My outbursts weren't caused by sensory overload as such, it was more like emotional overload. If you ever saw me having one of my outbursts on video you'd just see an angry, crying woman hurling regrettable insults at loved ones and arguing with raised voices and hitting herself with frustration and slamming/kicking doors. Being on Sertraline has helped control that but I still have bad memories of it.