Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Jetso
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Dec 2020, 11:04 am

Since noon can't be before or after itself, 12 AM and 12 PM don't really exist as times. 12 noon and 12 midnight do. "12 AM" and "12 PM" are meaningless.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2020, 11:15 am

It's 5'o Clock somewhere.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

02 Dec 2020, 12:40 pm

I'm never sure which 12 is noon & which 12 is midnight. In conversation I say noon or midnight instead of saying 12am or 12pm. I have to set my alarm a minute off when I'm setting it on my phone for 12am or 12pm. For noon I'll set my alarm for 11;59am or 12;01pm, & for midnight I'll set my alarm for 11;59pm or 12;01am. Setting it for 11;59 or 12;01 depends on if I really want the two extra minutes of sleep or not.

CockneyRebel wrote:
It's 5'o Clock somewhere.
Well said :mrgreen:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2020, 12:41 pm

Jetso wrote:
Since noon can't be before or after itself, 12 AM and 12 PM don't really exist as times. 12 noon and 12 midnight do. "12 AM" and "12 PM" are meaningless.
Thank you for sharing your opinion.

"AM" stands for "Ante Meridiem" or "Before Mid-Day", and "PM" stands for "Post Meridiem" or "After Mid-Day".

"Mid-Day" is solar noon, which may vary from 1200 hours by as much as 60 minutes either way, depending on latitude, longitude, elevation, and whether or not Daylight Savings Time is in effect.

Hence, while one may argue that "12 AM" is grammatically inaccurate, "12 PM" is about as accurate as you are going to get in the common vernacular.

Besides, using a 24-hour clock makes more sense to me, so "Twenty-Hundred Hours, Coordinated Universal Time" for me is time for Noon Chow, or "Lunch-Time" to you land-lubbers.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2020, 8:15 pm

Fnord wrote:
Jetso wrote:

"AM" stands for "Ante Meridiem" or "Before Mid-Day", and "PM" stands for "Post Meridiem" or "After Mid-Day".

"Mid-Day" is solar noon, which may vary from 1200 hours by as much as 60 minutes either way, depending on latitude, longitude, elevation, and whether or not Daylight Savings Time is in effect.

Hence, while one may argue that "12 AM" is grammatically inaccurate, "12 PM" is about as accurate as you are going to get in the common vernacular.

Besides, using a 24-hour clock makes more sense to me, so "Twenty-Hundred Hours, Coordinated Universal Time" for me is time for Noon Chow, or "Lunch-Time" to you land-lubbers.

20:00 is your lunch time? Well, whatever floats your boat.

Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2020, 3:09 am

Redd_Kross wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Jetso wrote:

Maybe he works a swing shift where 20:00 is the middle of the workday.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2020, 11:15 am

Redd_Kross wrote:
Tempus Fugit wrote:
Maybe he works a swing shift where 20:00 is the middle of the workday.
20:00 Coordinated Universal Time is 12:00 Pacific Standard Time.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2020, 1:06 pm

When I was a child the grownups told me that "am" meant "at morning", and that pm meant "past morning".

So if that were the case then twelve midnight could be considered either thing, but noon would be "past morning".

But now you tell me that its from Latin, and that "am" means "before the midpoint of the day" (before noon). And that "pm" means "after noon".

If thats the case then noon cant be "afternoon" because it IS noon.

But if you make midnight the arbitrary start of the day then twelve midnight would indeed be "before noon".

So midnight should be 12 am (as it is), but 12 noon should be 12M (twelve meridian) because it right at the midpoint of the day.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 1:02 am

There is 00:00 and 24:00.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.