Do You Have People Missread What You Write?

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2020, 10:49 pm

Why do people assume there are hidden meanings in what I write and jump to the wrong conclusions?

I have had two of the longest partial shutdowns I have ever had recently, so I was not able to work out what had happened and why. I am still a bit in a daze and fragile over it.

If I have upset anyone I apologize. I don't really want to live a life of upsetting people but I have things to do before I leave this place.

But I am tired now. I am awake when I should have been asleep hours ago, as my sleeping patterns are all over the place and I have hardly slept the last few nights. I will be thinking better in the morning. (If I awake by then as time is all over the place...).

If I say anything which upsets you ignore me. Everyone else does! (Can't blame them! :D )

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2020, 11:46 pm

Happens to me all the time, no matter how much I try to avoid it. Some of us are very literal and mean exactly what we say, while others see hidden meanings in things. It can be hard for me to understand.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2020, 1:54 am

Even I misread what I write, let alone someone else.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2020, 7:16 am

Edna3362 wrote:

Haha. That can be confusing!

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2020, 8:36 am

Hope you got some rest and are feeling better.

Stardust Parade
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Dec 2020, 5:55 pm

This is unrelated, but I just want to say that I enjoy reading your posts. You sound like a truly kind soul.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2020, 6:18 pm

Thank you. I try to be. I am not perfect though. I mess up. I don't realize that others can read things that I wrote in totally different ways to how I wrote them. I have a "One track mind". (My Mum says that as I always talk about trains!)
I don't usually put hidden meanings in what I write because I am too open minded. I have to watch I am not too open minded or my brains will fall out! :P

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2020, 6:22 pm

Happens all the time.

I even got a temp ban off twitter cos of it and run off other sites over it.

NTs like to hide things in what they say and because they're the majority, people assume they're dealing with NTs when they're speaking with strangers. Even on here, it can be tough to go back to thinking 'everyone is autistic, if they were being horrible then they would probably outright say something horrible and be blunt about it'.

But that's what I think we should do - stop looking for hidden meanings on WP comments and, instead, assume everyone is being nice/neutral unless someone outright says something nasty.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2020, 6:37 pm

People often misread my posts here even though I always write posts in the clearest way possible so that everyone can understand.
But it's not just something that happens on autism forums. It happened on an NT forum one time too. I was writing a post about my mum and my aunt but repeatedly referred to my aunt as "my mum's sister" so that people will know which aunt she is, but in the replies some people seemed to have thought I was talking about my sister, like they completely skipped "mum's" Inbetween the words "my" and "sister". And I never mentioned my own sister in my post.

I read a lot of posts here but if I'm going to post a direct reply to a post I make sure I read the post right first so that I don't give an irrelevant response. I even check the OP's age and gender (if visible) before posting a reply.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2020, 6:26 am

I don't know what people derive from my writing, but certain points seem to be impossible to convey, while others are easy.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2020, 7:55 am

A lady on another autism website I used to go to years ago lamented that.

How when she posts on non aspie websites folks get offended by her because of "what you laid between the lines".

She said "with me there is no 'between the lines'".

Thats probably a common issue among aspies/autistics. Aspies take things literally themselves, and are not aware how their own text might look to others, and can be oblivious to the fact that they might appear to be blowing dog whistles when they arent, and might not put in disclaimers when other folks would rush in to put disclaimers into what they wrote- because NT others would immediately see the problem and nip it in the bud.

I dont get that in written texts so much. But in face to face conversation I get folks falsely accusing me of lying. One particular coworker was really annoying. We had worked together for years, and its a toss up which is worse: her thinking that I was liar, or her thinking that I would lie for the motives she attributed to me. Like she is projecting herself onto me (both the mendacity and the bad motives). But thats another story.

SC5017
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Dec 2020, 8:35 am

Although I agree with the previous posts I think there is an issue of people not reading accurately. I have this with letters to the bank. They seem to pick out a keyword or two and guess at what its about making all sorts of assumptions that are not the case. I get very upset when their reply indicates they have not read my letter properly. :)

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2020, 8:41 am

SC5017 wrote:
Although I agree with the previous posts I think there is an issue of people not reading accurately. I have this with letters to the bank. They seem to pick out a keyword or two and guess at what its about making all sorts of assumptions that are not the case. I get very upset when their reply indicates they have not read my letter properly. :)

Worse still is when they charge you for reading the letter.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2020, 11:18 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Do you have people mis-read what you write?
No, I do not have people mis-read what I write ... they do it all on their own.

Why?

Likely because they are so used to dealing with other peoples' hidden intentions and motivations for so long that they can no longer conceive of the idea that what I post is what I literally mean.  Hence, any alleged covert meanings -- including alleged "Covert Bullying" -- behind what I post exist solely in the readers' own minds.

It must really suck to be them.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2020, 11:29 am

Fnord wrote:
It must really suck to be them.
It does. :(

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2020, 11:36 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:

Haha. That can be confusing!

Sometimes it is funny. :lol:
Sometimes it's infuriating for the longest time already. :?

Confusing? Of course. :o And in my case, it's not limited to writing.
There was a point I cannot comprehend what I just said or written, even if the intended message was correctly heard, read and understood by someone else.

Sometimes it's just creepy enough, I surprise myself from time to time.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.