Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Crystal1414
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Dec 2020, 8:48 pm

I prefer to type things and not talk.

Talking is hard for me. I am slow at processing what other people say and I take a while to respond. I never had to do presentations at school. I never raised my hand in school. I also never really talked to anyone unless I knew them and felt comfortable around them.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2020, 10:01 pm

No worries. You type well. Welcome to Wrong Planet.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2020, 11:15 pm

I have no problem with the way that you are.

Welcome to WP! :D

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2020, 11:35 pm

Crystal1414 wrote:

Talking is hard for me. I am slow at processing what other people say and I take a while to respond. I never had to do presentations at school. I never raised my hand in school. I also never really talked to anyone unless I knew them and felt comfortable around them.

What is it like to be mostly non-verbal? I'm the opposite - I'm very verbal, as in a chatterbox.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2020, 7:32 am

You didn't have to do presentations at school? Wow how did you get out of those? My son's teachers allowed him to do them in the teachers' office instead of in front of the whole class, but he still have to do those, with powerpoint and everything.

It is good that you like typing. Any form of communication is helpful.

I'm quite a chatterbox. Although I admit that I'm not good at understanding other people's talking, either. That's why I dominate conversations so I only need to follow my own thoughts. :) I get anxious when I have to listen and understand people's talking. Verbal instructions hardly make any sense to me. I usually need to take notes or have someone else listen and explain to me later.

Crystal1414
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Dec 2020, 9:27 am

Joe90 wrote:
Crystal1414 wrote:

What is it like to be mostly non-verbal? I'm the opposite - I'm very verbal, as in a chatterbox.

For me it means that I dont talk a lot. I'm scared to talk sometimes. I'm very shy as well. I want to be more outgoing but sometimes I find that I cant talk in certain situations.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2020, 9:52 am

I used to not talk much in my school years.

Better then talking and putting ones feet in it like I sometimes do!
When I am happy I talk. When I am not, I go quiet. It is how my Mum knows there is something wrong... But sometimes when I am concentrating on something and I am naturally quiet, my Mum can assume that there is something wrong.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 2:30 pm

I find writing much easier than speaking too. I have a text to speech app that I use sometimes because when I get super stressed, I lose the ability to talk entirely. I wish I could just use it all the time, but the people around me wouldn't understand if I did that, much to my chagrin.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 3:48 pm

Welcome to WP.

Many of us can probably relate..

I am pretty well rounded except when it comes to social situations, one on ones can be hard too.
I too prefer typing as generally allows more time to come up with a perception of what someones reply is or expected.
Plus taking away the immediate dread that often comes with being face to face unless it's with familiar people, family etc. I think being mostly non verbal is cool! least you won't probably say something odd hehe. :P

welcome and have fun!

dani.

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 3:52 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
I find writing much easier than speaking too. I have a text to speech app that I use sometimes because when I get super stressed, I lose the ability to talk entirely. I wish I could just use it all the time, but the people around me wouldn't understand if I did that, much to my chagrin.

Yeah, I totally freeze up verbally in social situations unless i come prepared such as an event or something i can apply some structure or go to sentences / responses .. though i've not got this issue when it comes to singing or rhyming. but general conversation.. even small talk. i literally go non verbal, it's very embarrassing when everyone doesn't understand this except you.