Page 4 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 4:31 pm

cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
In Australia our equivalent is Fosters Lager. No sane Australian drinks it.

do you have an equivalent to keystone light?

It's weirdest thing Blabs....in my 50+ years on this planet, I have yet to meet one person who drinks light beer?

Where are these secret light beer "aficionados", they are harder to find than an honest Trump voter?

All beer drinkers I know who are over college age drink light beer much of the time. I drink light beer...unless...I am specifically in the mood for something exotic like amber beer or stout. And there are starting to be good imported light beer too.

Except maybe for Amstel Light, its not like folks make a "cult" out of light beer ( of any brand as opposed to heavier beer of any brand) the way they do with beers by brand name (folks will be into say Sam Adams, but that might include being into Sam Adams light, and all of the other varieties, for example). But no one is ashamed to be seen drinking light beer. If thats what you mean.

Must be a cultural difference between Americans and Australians. Even American rednecks worry about getting a belly, while everyone in Australia is too macho to drink to light beer. :lol:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 5:33 pm

Busch light is popular with drinkers here.I don’t buy it, but I will drink it if someone else does.
St.Pauli is my beer of choice.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 5:38 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
In Australia our equivalent is Fosters Lager. No sane Australian drinks it.

do you have an equivalent to keystone light?

It's weirdest thing Blabs....in my 50+ years on this planet, I have yet to meet one person who drinks light beer?

Where are these secret light beer "aficionados", they are harder to find than an honest Trump voter?

All beer drinkers I know who are over college age drink light beer much of the time. I drink light beer...unless...I am specifically in the mood for something exotic like amber beer or stout. And there are starting to be good imported light beer too.

Except maybe for Amstel Light, its not like folks make a "cult" out of light beer ( of any brand as opposed to heavier beer of any brand) the way they do with beers by brand name (folks will be into say Sam Adams, but that might include being into Sam Adams light, and all of the other varieties, for example). But no one is ashamed to be seen drinking light beer. If thats what you mean.

Must be a cultural difference between Americans and Australians. Even American rednecks worry about getting a belly, while everyone in Australia is too macho to drink to light beer. :lol:

Doesn't light beer just trade alcohol for other carbs? Or is light beer basically just watered down beer?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 9:00 pm

Ok this is definitely cultural and maybe has something to do with the legal drinking age which is 18 in Australia.

Most Australian teens start drinking at 16 and we go straight for the real stuff. I have heard people driving consume light beer to avoid being picked up in a random breath test by the police. But never actually met anyone across Australia who prefer light beer or drink it regularly.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 9:08 pm

Busch also makes dog beer.
https://www.nbc12.com/2020/11/19/busch- ... utType=amp

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 9:13 pm

Misslizard wrote:

Must be part-owned by the veterinarian association of North America as giving alcohol to dogs is a sure-fire way to increase your visits to the vet.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 9:53 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Must be part-owned by the veterinarian association of North America as giving alcohol to dogs is a sure-fire way to increase your visits to the vet.

No alcohol in it.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 9:59 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Ok this is definitely cultural and maybe has something to do with the legal drinking age which is 18 in Australia.

Most Australian teens start drinking at 16 and we go straight for the real stuff. I have heard people driving consume light beer to avoid being picked up in a random breath test by the police. But never actually met anyone across Australia who prefer light beer or drink it regularly.

Light beer is generally consider more suitable for drinking as a refreshment by those who prefer it. If it's strong enough to get one drunk it makes sense that they'll pick the beer they like the taste of when getting drunk is the goal. Light beers seem to be right on that cusp, not so strong that you get drunk off of drinking it just to stay hydrated when it's hot but just strong enough that it's possible if you pick up the pace.

I've never heard someone suggesting it might help them avoid a breath test.

I don't really get it, I like drinking vodka with a tiny bit of rum mixed with kool-aid. :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 10:05 pm

Misslizard wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

No alcohol in it.

de-alcoholised beer?....yuck poor dogs

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 10:10 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Light beer is generally consider more suitable for drinking as a refreshment by those who prefer it. If it's strong enough to get one drunk it makes sense that they'll pick the beer they like the taste of when getting drunk is the goal. Light beers seem to be right on that cusp, not so strong that you get drunk off of drinking it just to stay hydrated when it's hot but just strong enough that it's possible if you pick up the pace.

I don't really get it, I like drinking vodka with a tiny bit of rum mixed with kool-aid. :nerdy:

In Australia light-beer is universally despised. I myself can't stand it as it tastes like drinking barley water.

Infact the advertising for light beer in Australia seems to be aimed at two groups i) females and ii) people driving

Spirits are a completely different matter. Australians tend to drink the following in order of popularity;
1. scotch and coke
2. rum and coke
3. gin and tonic
4. vodka and anything (20 yr old males mix it with orange)

Drinking neat spirits is when Aussie males do "shots" in bars

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 10:57 pm

Busch light is 4.7%alcohol, regular is 5%.You will still get a DWI on light beer.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 3:05 am

I'll drink Pabst, as it's the David Lynch beer since Dennis Hopper spoke that immortal line in Blue Velvet: "Heineken??? F*ck that sh*t! Pabst Blue Ribbon!"

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 3:15 am

Light beer doesn’t really sell much here at all. I bartended for several years and almost no one orders light beer anywhere in any type of bar/pub. I can only think of a few ppl I’ve ever met that drink light beer as their go to beer.

I’ve noticed that American TV networks, especially during professional sports, advertise light beer quite a bit and I can recall light beer being a thing for many Americans I’ve met - almost 50/50 regular vs light.

But here? A pub would have one brand (probably Coors Light) and the bottles would sit and get dusty unless there was one or two regular Coors Light drinkers.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 3:44 am

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

In Australia light-beer is universally despised. I myself can't stand it as it tastes like drinking barley water.

Infact the advertising for light beer in Australia seems to be aimed at two groups i) females and ii) people driving

Spirits are a completely different matter. Australians tend to drink the following in order of popularity;
1. scotch and coke
2. rum and coke
3. gin and tonic
4. vodka and anything (20 yr old males mix it with orange)

Drinking neat spirits is when Aussie males do "shots" in bars

is it true that one MUST drink beer warm down under?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 3:54 am

Scotch and coke is the number one highball in Australia?

I dunno if I’ve ever drank that, or made & served one. Ever. People tend to sip scotch here.

Now Rye and coke, that’s a thing & while not as common as rum and coke it’s still pretty popular. I bet it’s most popular in Alberta with cowboys & oil workers.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 12:23 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I really prefer craft beers and imported beers.

I like the moscow mule or variations of it like mixing the ginger ale with gin instead, or tequila that may sound weird but at a mexican restaurant me and my boyfriend ate at they had 'mexican mules' which were quite tasty. So I've tried replicating it at home.

Of course I don't have any of those copper mugs your supposed to use, I really should get some.